Author Topic: Jigging Rod Descriptions?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Jigging Rod Descriptions?
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I think this might be a tough thing to answer, but when it come to jigging rods the descriptions of the actions of the rods have not been as clear (at least to me) as they need to be. Example; “Sensitive” to some companies or people means that the tip of the rod is soft and bends easily (indicating a bite). If we were talking fly rods that would be a “Slow” action… I am looking to pick up another rod or two and want one that is sensitive but not so soft I have a hard time setting a hook… I am not knocking one style over another, just looking for the style that I like… I have not seen a good selection of rods in any shops here in the New England and with the vague discretions that I see on line; I don’t want to pay for a lot of shipping trying to get what I am looking for… I am sure that I could get on the phone and talk to one of the great rod builder that are mentioned here, but for that much money I will dust off my rod building equipment and build a couple for myself… The point of all this is; is there any company that does a good job at describing there jigging rods or jigging rod blanks?
Thanks!

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jigging Rod Descriptions?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Should check out the Thorne Bros Quiverstick and the Power Noodle series rods.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Thorne Bros have a better than average description than most other sight, it still ( on some of there model) gives very little info... The description of the two rods that you suggested are exactly not the type I am looking for. I am looking for a stiff, but sensitive tip.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Thorne Bros have a better than average description than most other sight, it still ( on some of there model) gives very little info... The description of the two rods that you suggested are exactly not the type I am looking for. I am looking for a stiff, but sensitive tip.

I would say give them a call and talk to Matt Johnson. He would be able to tell you exactly which rod would best fit your needs. If you were local to me I would elt you try out the 5 different ones I have.

Craig

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:03 PM »
The Thorne Bros. Sweathearts series are about stiff and sensitive tips.  They are jigging rods and their power are sort of listed as panfish, perch, and walleye series about equal to light, medium light, and medium respectively.  If I had to describe the rod blank, I'll say responsive and authoratative.  If I had to describe how they load, I'll say progressively like a full size rod, but shrunk down to an ice rod length.

The walleye sweatheart power is very close to a St.Croix Premier in medium power.  The panfish is very close to a St.Croix Premier in ML power.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I would say you would be best off making a custom rod yourself. If you want something stiffer and sensitive I would try to find a broken summer rod of high quality and cut it and make an ice rod. I bought a custom ice rod a guy had made on a g-loomis blank with outdoor guides for $5. and a walleye sweetheart for $5. He is retired and doesn't like the cold. It was a steal to say the least. I would say they are both stiffer rods that are sensitive. They are my favorite two rods I own. Good luck

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:22 PM »
the frabill bro series deadstick rod has a sensative tip almose like an ultralight and yet it has the backbone of a medium. designed for deadsticking minnows in that the tip is super light in that if quivers at the sligtest movement of the minnow. i had this rod in my gun rack in the back of the truck and just driving down the road made the tip quiver i like it. only draw back to it is that its 28 inches long seen as its designed for just sitting on the ice but you can totally jig for perch and crappie with it and even walleye.

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Just picked up an Icelander 'ultralight' at Dicks last week for 20 bucks.  Slammed a limit of Perch with it on Sat.  If you look just above the handle on each rod, there'll be a description. 

Offline Colli2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:27 PM »
I live in New Hampshire and ran into the same problem. I wanted a heavier jigging rod to use for jigging lake trout. The only one I found was made by Frabill. The problem is that the rod comes with no reel seat or even rings to hold the reel on the rod. Now in the mid-west, this is the norm (or so frabill tells me). To be fair, when I called Frabill to complain, they agreed to send me a roll of special reel tape that they sell seperately. The tape holds the reel in place just fine but it looks like it is jury-rigged. I'm not sure if it is the folks in the mid-west that are different or us here in New England . . . after all Mass. is a New England state and there is an awful bunch of dunderheads there who keep voting Kerry and Barney Frank back into office.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:15 PM »
funny, I cut those stupid "rings" off the rod handle when ever I end up with them and I have been doing it of over 25 years... I have never cared about how something looks, just how well it works and taping on a reel is the way to go for Ice fishing. I even do it on my surf rod for striper fishing!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I live in New Hampshire and ran into the same problem. I wanted a heavier jigging rod to use for jigging lake trout. The only one I found was made by Frabill. The problem is that the rod comes with no reel seat or even rings to hold the reel on the rod. Now in the mid-west, this is the norm (or so frabill tells me). To be fair, when I called Frabill to complain, they agreed to send me a roll of special reel tape that they sell seperately. The tape holds the reel in place just fine but it looks like it is jury-rigged. I'm not sure if it is the folks in the mid-west that are different or us here in New England . . . after all Mass. is a New England state and there is an awful bunch of dunderheads there who keep voting Kerry and Barney Frank back into office.

I'm in the midwest and that's what they tell me too... ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:13 AM »
  I have a Jason Mitchell 24" Meatstick that would fit the bill for you...  It has a wispy tip that works its way down to a lot of backbone...definitely a rod for one who likes to watch the tip.

jim

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2011, 12:15 AM »
the frabill bro series deadstick rod has a sensative tip almose like an ultralight and yet it has the backbone of a medium. designed for deadsticking minnows in that the tip is super light in that if quivers at the sligtest movement of the minnow. i had this rod in my gun rack in the back of the truck and just driving down the road made the tip quiver i like it. only draw back to it is that its 28 inches long seen as its designed for just sitting on the ice but you can totally jig for perch and crappie with it and even walleye.

X2
Agreed!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.