Author Topic: brookie splake comparison pics  (Read 14133 times)

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
Re: brookie splake comparison pics
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:37 PM »
1...Splake

2...Brookie

3...Splake

4...Splake

5...Brookie

6...Splake

7...Brookie

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:38 PM »
I win ;D

-Thoreau

grumpymoe

« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:42 PM »
its most interesting to say the least, and what boggles my mind is that even with all the visual points that are recognized in the biological community that you cannot postively identify a brookie from a splake, that they will stand up and post an aye for the fish.....it really bothers me to see this.    but on the other hand, how can some of us stand up and say...."well it must be true" because he (graduate of fisheries biology) said so.....all of the criteria has Never been met for live release ID....Grump....(stirring the pot)

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:48 PM »
its most interesting to say the least, and what boggles my mind is that even with all the visual points that are recognized in the biological community that you cannot postively identify a brookie from a splake, that they will stand up and post an aye for the fish.....it really bothers me to see this.    but on the other hand, how can some of us stand up and say...."well it must be true" because he (graduate of fisheries biology) said so.....all of the criteria has Never been met for live release ID....Grump....(stirring the pot)

thought so

grump are you going to the lake in the ducks with the road ;) this weekend

grumpymoe

« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:52 PM »
yep snopro....you are more than welcome to join us if you wish...Chief and I will be out there by about 9-9:30 at the latest and fishing until late afternoon.....Grump

Offline snopro31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:59 PM »
would be glad to if i wasnt in the pas this weekend :'( 

wont be home till december 19th but plan on hiting lake x up the 20th, 21st and 22nd all day then the rest of the break is sledding with maybe one day of fishing at the end.

good luck this weekend

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #36 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I can only judge based on what ya'll have told me on here. I've never seen a splake. But I've seen a lot of brookies, and all I know what doesn't look like a brookie :-\ I think I got er though  ;)

-Thoreau

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #37 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:09 PM »
PGK seems to have a decent handle on the id thing, does that really mean i have to go fishing with him if he ever comes to saskabush?? :D crap i had to open my big yap. Funny thing is I know people who have lived around where i fish and have never seen a big male splake or one inspawning color, one weird fish was the one that would be fish pic #6 was a female and full of eggs  that were fully developed the first week in may??? and a really dark fish to boot. the more i fish for splake i realized splake a strange fish with traits all of their own.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 17, 2006, 11:02 PM »
but on the other hand, how can some of us stand up and say...."well it must be true" because he (graduate of fisheries biology) said so.....

Remind me not to take any more advice about the Duramax from you then...since you're only an expert....

You'll note that I haven't stuck my neck out in trying to identify any of the photos.  I don't feel confident in it.  From my understanding, the fish was released.  If so, there either needs to be good (i.e. better than the one we've seen) photographic evidence of what the fish is, especially if it is to be recognized as a MB record.  If brookies and splake can't be told apart from good photographic evidence, then I don't see how it could be recognized as one or the other.  If there isn't good photographic evidence, there should be no record either.  All I was trying to say was that I would defer to the expert that has had considerably more training than I, as I would expect you, Grump, to be able to have more knowledge about the Duramax than I have and as I would expect some to defer to me in my area of expertise (if I ever remember what that was).

Man, this got me riled and just before bedtime too...I'm not sure whether to truly be ticked off at you (I'd expect you at least not to think of me as naive) or to congratulate you on a pot well stirred.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #39 on: Nov 17, 2006, 11:25 PM »
:roflmao: You guys and your hybrids.....ever try that out on a hunting forum? Ask them on www.huntingbc.ca if there are any hybrid deer in BC. :roflmao: Good times.

No MP, you gotta come here, Saskabush is too flat for a hill boy like me. One leg's longer than the other cause of the slope  :D

-Thoreau

grumpymoe

« Reply #40 on: Nov 18, 2006, 04:16 AM »
Thriller...
congratulate you on a pot well stirred.
...hope you had a great sleep bud....and thats my final answer lol...in the presence of doubt, I went searching for some answers and this is one question I posed in discussion (some heated  ;D) but I didnt see one Expert come forward and explain this scientific fact about splake. http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/salvelinusfonx.html...one of the few hybrids that could cause controversial debate....Grump

Offline Ashnohgrimbatul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:41 AM »
Thriller......hope you had a great sleep bud....and thats my final answer lol...in the presence of doubt, I went searching for some answers and this is one question I posed in discussion (some heated  ;D) but I didnt see one Expert come forward and explain this scientific fact about splake. http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/salvelinusfonx.html...one of the few hybrids that could cause controversial debate....Grump

That wasn't lost on everyone grump, it was posted in one other thread (not on this board) about the pyloric cacae. Stewart and Watkinson (Freshwater Fishes of Manitoba) write that the pyloric cacae # is the "best" way to identify brookies/splake, not the only way. (Ken Stewart is my expert :))

(On Splake) "The vermiculations and scattered red spots of the brook trout are absent, replaced by the pale yellowish spots of the lake trout.  The pale markings extend onto the sides of the head, as in the lake trout, but they are more scattered.  The tail is moderately forked when spread instead of square as in the brook trout or deeply forked as in the lake trout, and there is no black streak behind the leading edge of the pectoral, pelvic and anal fins.  The best diagnostic character is the pyloric cacae count.  Brook trout have from 23-55 pyloric cacae, lake trout have 93-208, and the splake has 65-85.

Based on what I see in the picture, the fish looks to be a huge brook.  Still, that ID is gathered from one small/low res photo....I'm not completely confident in it.  I hope that when the Fishin Line is published there are more pics and the record can be legitimized.
Let there be ice.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #42 on: Nov 18, 2006, 12:25 PM »
I still don't understand what the problem is. I go by their heads........mostly... ....a splake head looks like a lake trout.....a brookie head looks like a brookie. If they differ in the # of pyloric cacae then thats the way to determine on a dead fish. But since I gottem all right, You boys better hire me to make field judgements in case this debate comes up again. I run at about $32.50/hr :roflmao:

-Thoreau

Offline Lherpig

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "About the trout,no friggin doubt!"
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2006, 11:24 AM »
I have a novel idea...........catch a BIGGER one and............no more debate!!!

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2006, 11:38 AM »
screw the debate....those pics are incredible  :o

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #45 on: Nov 20, 2006, 08:03 PM »
the big one's been settled, it's a big brook
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

grumpymoe

« Reply #46 on: Nov 20, 2006, 08:12 PM »
Thanks Pizalm....and about time that THE PROPER photo finally appeared....nice blue halos in this shot that no one had the priveledge of seeing!!...congrats Tim....Awesome trophy brookie!!....Grump

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #47 on: Nov 20, 2006, 08:25 PM »
Yeah finally.  Its obvious now.  Thats one massive brookie.  Thanks Pizalm.

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #48 on: Nov 20, 2006, 08:42 PM »
I had the link sent to me by Kyle_ off the forums here so don't give me all the credit, just most of it. lol.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #49 on: Nov 21, 2006, 01:01 AM »
??????????????????????????????

-Thoreau

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:27 AM »
man.......I think I want to move north....just great fish  :tipup:

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:32 PM »
so between people arguing and contradicting eachother, how do you tell the difference between the two fish?? ???
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:37 PM »
I'm not sure but splake have a forked tale, no blue halos around the spots and there is no black streak seperating the white and red on the fins. And the number of pyloric cacae (sp) is different i've read but I'm not sure on the numbers of them for each species.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #53 on: Nov 26, 2006, 03:24 PM »
i found all some of my old splake pics thought you guys might like em

Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #54 on: Dec 23, 2006, 01:59 AM »
Haha yes I'm resurrecting this...
So I just thought of something.....MP and myself both think it's a splake, reluctantly I think. What happens if that fish's mommy was a brookie and it's daddy was a splake? Hmmm? Back-cross? Just PGK stirrin the pot again ;D

-Thoreau

Offline Aaron Wiebe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walter
« Reply #55 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:13 AM »
I can see how backcrossing could produce splake that look almost solely like a brook or a lake trout....but in the case at hand, it is not possible? Unless the hatchery is playing games with their brood stock... ;D
Lake trout have never been stocked or reported caught in the lake...legitimate 25.5 and 26.5 brookies have also been taken from the lake....it looks like a brookie....whats not to believe? surprised you dont think it's a dolly :D

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #56 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:29 AM »
I was of the understanding that there were also lakers in that lake?

-Thoreau

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #57 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Nope no Lakers in there.  No question about it, ITS A BROOK TROUT!  End of discussion.

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2006, 12:45 PM »
I was of the understanding that there were also lakers in that lake?
There are also rainbows, but that is it.

grumpymoe

« Reply #59 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:29 PM »
the pic showing the blue halos is definitive enough and ends any controversy that I or anyone else legitimately suggested....its a Brookie!!!....sorry PGK....but the shoe fits perfectly....Grump  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.