Author Topic: east shoal  (Read 4128 times)

Offline theKraken

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: east shoal
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:30 PM »
pretty sure they are natural, but they have sort of exploded since the flood and now that east and west shoal are one body of water they have more room to move. the freshwater shrimp population is high and it seems to be causing the growth rate. i talked to a guy yesterday who has a buddy who had a 15.5" he caught aged and it was five years old.

drifting has not been to bad and getting around on the lake is not bad if you can make it to the lake and then the first 100 yards in any direction

Offline Aarons66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:43 PM »
That's a huge fish for being 5 years old and ya jus drifting by shore I'm guessing and was out today fishing tested the truck on some 2 and 3 foot drifts like nothing blazing a trail all the way to one of my river spots so if I follow your tracks I might be safe :) so does shrimp work good for bait then or haven't you tryed frozen before..?

Offline theKraken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:55 PM »
one of my buddies had 1 left in his bag of catfish bait in the freezer, he had a couple hits on it but missed both times. so they have hit shrimp, i dont think its worth to go out and buy some but if you have a few it cant hurt to try

Offline Aarons66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Ya every spot I've went to in the summer with mainly perch in them just love the shrimp but would be much different in winter.  How is it out there in the summer time lots of boats fishing .?

Offline theKraken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:09 PM »
never been, but i doubt there are many boats. this summer may be different as they putting in a campground by the church

Offline Wendigo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:09 AM »
never been, but i doubt there are many boats. this summer may be different as they putting in a campground by the church

Not good at all. Marked tons of fish all over the lake. One bite two guys 5 hours. I think that the reason it is better in the Winter is that their prime source of food freswater shrimp and water beatles slowly die off. However we did see freshwater shrimp swimming at the top of the ice hole. Quantity this year has not been that great for us but our master to non master ratio is almost 50/50. My buddy got his PB at 15"

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
« Reply #36 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:45 AM »
.i,ve been fishing this lake for a long time, this lake is a trophy perch lake , its kinda not the perch fishing your thinking,
 like  icing hundreds, these perch for some reason act and don't school up like people are use to. the problem is that the perch are fed good in these lakes. just hoping people release some of their catches. i love eating perch but never get greedy over them..

the lake is also bigger than people think. so if your not catching MOVE!!!!
Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline Icelanderexpress

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:01 PM »
West shoal has been ok as of late, mix of small to jumbo perch which is good to see, along with a few 3ft snakes, northland has those shrimp lures that have worked well, getting on the lake is a little tricky

Offline Aarons66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:56 PM »
How do you access onto west shoal and do you drive on with a truck..?

Offline Icelanderexpress

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 PM »
518 hwy northeast of Woodlands, multiple places to get on, you will see when you drive down it

Offline kilpatty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:37 AM »
Hit up east shoal for the afternoon yesterday, access at the church was a little dicey but we made it out with our 4 wheel drive jeep, seemed to mark alot of fish, but they were not interested in biting, we did get one 10 inch perch on a pickeral rig under a tip up , and lost something real big thanks to some broken line

My brother and his buddy caught this 14 3/4 inch jumbo right around Christmas

upload pic
There is defiantly some big ones in there
A day on the lake, is a day well spent.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.