Author Topic: Flasher help pls...  (Read 6900 times)

Offline downthehole

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flasher help pls...
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:20 PM »
I just had two throw my 2 cents out after reading everyones opions on whats better vexs,showdown,birds.I have used a bird 35 for a couple years now but for xmas i got a bird 345c portable colour machine and a think its better then anything else out there.The 345 picks up things my 35 didnt no problems with interfrence mutiple screens,colour cant think of a neg thing about this unit.

Offline cuttlefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:01 PM »
How does the lcd screen do on the 345 when the going gets cold? I have a troller and it works for me, wouldn't mind a colour flasher though with zoom, colour and narrow/broad beams.

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:38 PM »
I just had two throw my 2 cents out after reading everyones opions on whats better vexs,showdown,birds.I have used a bird 35 for a couple years now but for xmas i got a bird 345c portable colour machine and a think its better then anything else out there.The 345 picks up things my 35 didnt no problems with interfrence mutiple screens,colour cant think of a neg thing about this unit.

Not to open up a can of worms.........How would you "think that it's better than anything else out there", when you haven't used everything else out there?
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline downthehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:55 PM »
I ran a bird 35 for two years i  and have seen and used both marcum and vex machines that were ether my brothers or friends owned not saying anything bad about those brands.However i liked the bird more,and i think the 345c is better yet.I have not used a showdown but was not impressed by some of the reviews.

Offline fisherandhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Well the only thing i can say is that we dont own a flasher and that I could probally catch just as much fish as you guys with out one, so ha!!

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:20 PM »
Well the only thing i can say is that we dont own a flasher and that I could probally catch just as much fish as you guys with out one, so ha!!

Highly doubt it!
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline fisherandhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Highly doubt it!
I know a guy who once came fishing with us, he had a flasher and I still out fished him!Any ways whats the real point of a flasher?I mean do you really want to see if a fish came near your hook or not? Someone with a flasher after fishing :'( Me without a flasher :icefish:

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:35 PM »
I know a guy who once came fishing with us, he had a flasher and I still out fished him!Any ways whats the real point of a flasher?I mean do you really want to see if a fish came near your hook or not? Someone with a flasher after fishing :'( Me without a flasher :icefish:

I also know a guy who had a flasher and caught all the fish from our group and the rest of us we all got skunked.  If the fish are suspended you are done without a flasher and that's what was happening that day .....and that is not uncommon for walleye or lake trout.
The fish on the bottom you catch mostly without a flasher.  With the flasher you see the whole water column, and it shows you at what depth the fish are,  so you can raise or lower your lure to them....which are both visible on the screen (the fish, and your lure)
Besides this it teaches you a lot about fish behavior in general......not to mention it makes spending time on the ice a lot more interesting, and once you use one you will see it's merit right away, and there are very good odds that you won't like fishing without one in the future.

Offline Tee Tot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Laker Man
« Reply #68 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:45 PM »
reel has made a great point, buddy of mine had several, and me none before he told me they were midway in the column. After that though I kicked his butte  ;D

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:01 PM »
your not finished without a flasher and fish in the middle of the water column

.....if it only was that simple, tried that just did not know when and how long to stay there, especially in an 80' deep lake ?! so where is the "middle"  and why go to the middle, how do you know the fish are there? what if they are only 20' from the bottom, or 8' or 30'. You have no clue.
....a big walleye I caught the other day in LW was suspended 6' from the bottom, I raised my lure to him and he slammed it right away I would've never caught that fish without a flasher!

The merits of a flasher are unquestionable, sure you can catch fish without them, I did too....you just reduce your odds at least 50 percent.

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Not to open up a can of worms.........How would you "think that it's better than anything else out there", when you haven't used everything else out there?

Another common theme is that whatever flasher is owned by any particular individual is best according to them :)

Offline burbotman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:41 PM »
The depth reading a flasher gives you can be valuable. Went for a little drive after not catching at 12 feet.
Drilled hole at new spot, wow 18 feet! Caught (and lost) fish all afternoon. I never wanted a flasher either ;D
Best way to understand em is fish with someone who has one.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 07, 2012, 04:41 AM »

Fisherandhunter is from vita, probably fishing whitemouth, you don't need a flasher fishing whitemouth in one foot of water, last 2 times I was there I didn't bother bringing mine either.  Fish deeper water and its a different story, you will be running to the sporting goods store as fast as you can to get one of these excellent ice fishing tools!  I was the first one in my group to have a flasher, now they all have em.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #73 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:09 PM »

once again i highly doubt it
since ur from vita i am guessing you fish whitemouth lake lots so like said b4 no flasher is needed, also if it is your home lake and you have other people visiting it is usually not hard to outfish them even if they are skilled, and there was nothing said about the skill level of the people who went out with you
once ur fishing more than 4 feet of water it helps lots, for some fish like crappie it is almost needed
i bought my own last year and i see worlds of a difference going from without to with along with everyone else i know
when explore new places youve never fished it makes it easier and more fun when, especially if you are fishing for lakers and you see one come flying up to smash your lure!

all in all id like to see you outfish someone who knows how to use their flasher on a lake neither has fished.
 :tipup:
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline fisherandhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Well it probaly would be intereting to use one but my point is that people rely on technology to much!I know it may seem hard to believe but ice fishing without a flasher is twice as fun as with one.Some people say other wise but that is my opinion. ;)2

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Well it probaly would be intereting to use one but my point is that people rely on technology to much!I know it may seem hard to believe but ice fishing without a flasher is twice as fun as with one.Some people say other wise but that is my opinion. ;)2

Everyone does have the right tO there own opinion but my point is they make fishing better on days you might not catch any
Without a flasher doesn't make fishing more fun if the fish aren't biting, especially when you can find and catch them with a flasher
Some fish are almost impossible or harder to fish for with lots of success like whitefish or crappie
If you r only fishing one lake for walleye or pike you may not need a flasher
Once u get older u may explore and fish for other things and going somewhere new and not catching anything and still having to pay for gas may still be enjoyable but is disappointing at the end of the day

hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.