Author Topic: Truck thru the ice eastside !!!  (Read 11649 times)

Offline fishing mafia

• IceShanty Rookie
  • anyfish anywhere anytime
Re: Truck thru the ice eastside !!!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2011, 08:53 PM »
wow looks scary hope all is well,

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Good to see that they pulled it out so quickly  :o! But it's a write off anyway so I guess someone will be looking for a truck ? As long as they are okay that's all that matters , trucks can be replaced
Enjoy The Ride ,You only Get One Chance

Offline golden eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Glad to hear that everyone is ok.This may sound silly but was there any wallys in that truck when they pulled it out. :icefish:

Offline parchland

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:43 PM »
It's a writeoff,, not sure if autopac covers it..does anybody have any idea if they do? And the fishing it out is not gonna be so cheap on the pocket book either..

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:52 PM »
wow looks scary hope all is well,

Exactly looks like he drove in to a crack at least there ok can always buy another truck.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Had to shift and open up after 8:30. When our group went out we drove the exact same spot along with the hundred vehicles before us and the only thing I noticed was a small crack and a little area that was starting to slush up.

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:09 PM »
it just goes to show how conditions can change drastically as my son & I drove through the exact same spot at 7:50 without incident and were shocked to see the back end of the truck poking out on the way back with some guys stretching tape around the perimeter. Main thing is that they made it out ok.

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:49 PM »
It's a writeoff,, not sure if autopac covers it..does anybody have any idea if they do? And the fishing it out is not gonna be so cheap on the pocket book either..
....as far as I understand it he should have full coverage , if there were to have been a ice road and he drove off of it then he wouldn't get coverage .Autopac covers stupidity as they say ...................... for now that is ???

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:06 AM »
We drove over that exact spot as well about a hour earlier, was some slush 20 yards to the north, I did not like the looks of it, repetitive traffic at a crack broke caused a chunk to break and down he went, be prepared for the worst if you intend on driving on with  planks, recovery strap, shackles, shovel and a cell phone, and something to break the window as well
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:01 AM »
so is everyone just driving around the hole now?  was hoping to go out tomorrow and wondering if its safe, might have to try a new access

Offline hunter-of-lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Just park on the road and walk on, I did very well fishing the big crack, walking distance,

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:08 AM »
All covered by MPI, owner is not liable for any expenses.  The only time MPI doesn't cover the incident is if it happens on an ice crossing on a winter road that has been posted as closed, other than that 100% coverage.
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:09 AM »
So was this at Balsam or Traverse Bay?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Balsam Harbour

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:13 AM »
That's what I though - Live2fish5 mentioned that CTV was reported it was on Traverse Bay.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Maybe two  trucks broke through at differnt places ??? Im going back to balsam on friday and dont plan on driving out, insurance or not, maybe after a week of -20

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:38 AM »
no the truck on the news was at balsom I was there and saw the truck haha, they messed up also saying it was thin ice which is un-true, IT IS NOT UNSAFE TO FISH BALSOM DUE TO THIN ICE, there are TONS of truck out there the truck went through due to a crack in the ice which happens every single years 1000s of time on LW the driver was at the wrong place at the wrong time is all.

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:43 AM »
These cracks happen all over the big lake all year because of temp changes, its a risk we all take to catch some nice fish, this incident is only showing us that ice fishing with trucks on the ice is never 100% safe even if there is 2 solid feet of nice. I was staying at a place in boulder bay (minute ride from where the truck went trough) and in the morning this crack where the truck went through was not their, dont let this stop anyone from hitting the lake!

Offline burbotman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Maybe before giving out anymore potentialy fatal information, you may want to google LAKE ICE101.
Read it and then come back and say OOPS. You willing to pay deductibles and funeral costs?????
There's a heck of a lot more to it than "Oh, he just fell in a crack, it's good now cuz I said so". ???

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:39 PM »
The owner of the truck says he just fell though a crack in the ice hahaha and he will be back out there AS SOON as he gets his truck replaced, he says "everything happens for a reason" and the reason his truck went into the water was because it was a lemon and the replacement truck will likely have better fuel economy and most likely not fall apart like the truck that went through the ice may have. (bought the truck 3 days ago before it was submerged)

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for the correction Live2fish5.

I'd like to think I have a decent amount of experience on the ice, but I always default to people that have more (like a buddy of mine that has 40+ years commercial fishing on LW).  The last time I talked to him just before Christmas, he warned me to stay off the lake with a truck.

Why did the truck go through in a spot where people were crossing just 50 feet away?  Why didn't the track hoe, tow truck and Bobcat go through in the same spot?  Lake ice cracks have always mystified me as to why they would let go in certain spots, but not others.

Possible reasons for breaking through could be: traveling too fast causing a pressure wave, excessive erosion of ice due to a current or upwelling, poor ice formation due to rotting submergent vegetation.  Not saying I have the answers, just thinking aload.

One think to think about - just because ice is 1 to 2 feet think right now on LW, doesn't mean its 12 to 24 inches everywhere.  The ice on the east side formed in an odd way this year, with most of the ice an assemblage of ice pans that were blown in from NW and W winds.  We had jumbled ice last year, but it was MUCH colder longer by this time.

I myself will be taking either a quad/skidoo out for the next while.  No windows to climb through and at least the quad will float for abit.  I will also be wearing my floatation gear and ice picks.  Never too safe.

Stay safe out there guys  :icefish:

Offline 30-30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 28, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Thanks for the correction Live2fish5.

I'd like to think I have a decent amount of experience on the ice, but I always default to people that have more (like a buddy of mine that has 40+ years commercial fishing on LW).  The last time I talked to him just before Christmas, he warned me to stay off the lake with a truck.

Why did the truck go through in a spot where people were crossing just 50 feet away?  Why didn't the track hoe, tow truck and Bobcat go through in the same spot?  Lake ice cracks have always mystified me as to why they would let go in certain spots, but not others.

Possible reasons for breaking through could be: traveling too fast causing a pressure wave, excessive erosion of ice due to a current or upwelling, poor ice formation due to rotting submergent vegetation.  Not saying I have the answers, just thinking aload.

One think to think about - just because ice is 1 to 2 feet think right now on LW, doesn't mean its 12 to 24 inches everywhere.  The ice on the east side formed in an odd way this year, with most of the ice an assemblage of ice pans that were blown in from NW and W winds.  We had jumbled ice last year, but it was MUCH colder longer by this time.

I myself will be taking either a quad/skidoo out for the next while.  No windows to climb through and at least the quad will float for abit.  I will also be wearing my floatation gear and ice picks.  Never too safe.

Stay safe out there guys  :icefish:

Well said. Thank you for that post.

The ice is more unstable this year than it has been for years.  We can justify our reasons for going out in a number of ways.  Bottom line is that you don't want your wife remembering you as a dumbass who ruined her life.

It is not "common" for trucks to fall through, cracks or otherwise, this time of year.  It is ridiculously mild, and with that comes dangerous ice.

Don't care "why" it fell through, just care "that" it fell through.  I will look to some of the smart folks here for their thoughts on the safety of the ice, but ultimately I will make my own decision, as it is my safety that is at risk. 

Be safe, enjoy fishing.  Too many people start falling through and they will come up with some new laws that will hurt all of us.
Good Luck and Good Fishing to You!!!

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:09 PM »
The owner of the truck says he just fell though a crack in the ice hahaha and he will be back out there AS SOON as he gets his truck replaced, he says "everything happens for a reason" and the reason his truck went into the water was because it was a lemon and the replacement truck will likely have better fuel economy and most likely not fall apart like the truck that went through the ice may have. (bought the truck 3 days ago before it was submerged)
.Well wouldn't it be funny if a adjuster for autopac was on line to read this ?? Sounds like he wanted it gone ? Not saying he did , just sounds like that is what he was saying ?? Rather reckless remarks coming from soneone who might have just escaped death ? Takes all kinds I guess ???????????????? ???

Offline fireguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:39 PM »
.Well wouldn't it be funny if a adjuster for autopac was on line to read this ?? Sounds like he wanted it gone ? Not saying he did , just sounds like that is what he was saying ?? Rather reckless remarks coming from soneone who might have just escaped death ? Takes all kinds I guess ???????????????? ???

Well just an update, my buddy who works for autopac has already tweeked in on this guys comments. Might become a bit of a problem for the guy. That is just plain stupid commenting like that. Now he will have a lot of questions to answer to. LOL dumb As$

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Well just an update, my buddy who works for autopac has already tweeked in on this guys comments. Might become a bit of a problem for the guy. That is just plain stupid commenting like that. Now he will have a lot of questions to answer to. LOL dumb As$
........... ;D.LOL

Offline burbotman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:55 PM »
I wouldn't put too much faith in a second hand story, nor would I want to be in his shoes (not just cuz they're wet)but
isn't that our worst lake fear come true? Autopac should offer him therapy ;) ,cheaper than a coffin! The first item on
our fishing list MUST be to not let that happen. My level of risk in this situation is low.... very low. Hope yours is the same.

Offline biggamefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:00 PM »
First,just to clarify, from a legal standpoint, the comments on here are just hearsay, fact is that the owner did not make any comments on here, it was reported by a third party,  who cares about what your buddy at MPI says, he should know better anyway, that of coarse unless he just sweeps the floors and cleans the washrooms. ;D ;D

Second, the incident was due to a 1 ton truck hauling a triple axle 5th wheel Ice Castle Fish House crossing the pressure crack, broke it up a bit, this guy was driving a bit behind, drove right onto the large piece that broke off, as his front end weighed down the back edge of that piece, the front edge tipped up and his front end slid off the back edge and his truck started to sink, he tried to get out the doors but in no time at all the water pressure prevented him from opening the doors, he used his metal thermos to smash out the back window, he didn't even get wet as he climbed up the box and jumped onto the ice, whole incident took about 40-50 seconds.

Lucky no one was hurt or worse....and whats with all the "haha" comments, don't think it's very funny at all.
>}}}}}}''> FISH PANIC AT THE MERE SIGHT OF ME AND MY G3  >}}}}}}''>

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:10 PM »
It appears the "I wanted to sink my truck" comment has been removed, but if I remember correctly it sounded pretty tongue in cheek to me. An online forum is no place to take things seriously. 56" Pike anyone? We should all take this opportunity to be thankful no one was killed and to teach others ice safety, especially near pressure ridges. If I remember correctly a very similar circumstance claimed the life of a fisherman north of Dauphin only a few weeks ago. Play safe + tight lines.   

Offline Blue Mago

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:28 PM »
First,just to clarify, from a legal standpoint, the comments on here are just hearsay, fact is that the owner did not make any comments on here, it was reported by a third party,  who cares about what your buddy at MPI says, he should know better anyway, that of coarse unless he just sweeps the floors and cleans the washrooms. ;D ;D

Second, the incident was due to a 1 ton truck hauling a triple axle 5th wheel Ice Castle Fish House crossing the pressure crack, broke it up a bit, this guy was driving a bit behind, drove right onto the large piece that broke off, as his front end weighed down the back edge of that piece, the front edge tipped up and his front end slid off the back edge and his truck started to sink, he tried to get out the doors but in no time at all the water pressure prevented him from opening the doors, he used his metal thermos to smash out the back window, he didn't even get wet as he climbed up the box and jumped onto the ice, whole incident took about 40-50 seconds.

Lucky no one was hurt or worse....and whats with all the "haha" comments, don't think it's very funny at all.
Hear-say or not they will be asking him questions  if these comments made it that far , and we are all greatful that he made it out ! If he was folowing that close that he didn't see the damage left behind by the other truck , which I'm sure they must have felt something ? , then he was following to close ! I've had fellows follow me to close and I'll stop and if they want to pass , then by all means do , if not .BACK OFF ! There is no need to drive like a lunatic once you get on the ice .I've felt the " wave "" caused by some idiot who couldn't remember what he all needed and had to zip by three times to get things he wanted from shore .........went from 12 feet of water to 16 feet ! These sites are watched very closely as are the other popular ones and someone will have heard /read  comments and they will be followed up ! innocent till proven guilty yes , but loose lips sink ships

Offline quickstrike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:36 PM »
From reading the previous posts I can't say that i'm surprised at where this thread has gone, to think that this is a deliberate attempt to get another vehicle is too bad.

I would also hope that Autopac would know better than to to get their information from an anonyomous online forum second handed. If not we should all be concerned.

If the owner of that truck runs into trouble with Autopac i'm sure that there are several of us who can vouch that we drove  through the same spot prior to them going through.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.