Author Topic: Lake Winnipeg  (Read 6165 times)

Offline shackeeloreel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your tip-up!
Lake Winnipeg
« on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:06 PM »
Headed out to Balsam Bay this morning, set-up and fishing by 9:30. First fish 10:40, 15" walleye, 5 more by noon. All between 15"-17.5" good eaters. Stayed out till 1:30, nothing further so packed up and left. Drove out by truck 15" of good ice, some navigating required around ridges and bunched up ice otherwise fine. Lots of vehicles on the ice. :tipup:
REMEMBER: FISH THE GAP!

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Excellent report Shack! Sorry could not make it. Too much s**t going on. Big Daddy says good to go this week. Maybe CBR? Anyone have a report on the West side of LW?

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:20 PM »
shackeeloreel, were you in close to shore?  I was fishing by 11 and didn't catch nothin.  See a few other people had a crappy day as well.  I figured the water quality was bad, but looks like you were getting them.

Offline 793bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grow stupid grow
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:34 PM »
i did well between 8:15 and 10:15 in 14 feet of water using a livetarget with a frozen minnow head seemed the only lure they liked today.had quite a few lookers as well.packed it in a11.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2010, 08:38 PM »
packed it in a11.

HA!  Thats what time I got on - there the problem.  Thats what I get for sleeping in.  I've usually had better success in the morning and evenings. 

Offline shackeeloreel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your tip-up!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I was a ways out maybe 1.5-2 km in 17 feet. Seemed to be liking the spoons all the ones I marked on the flasher followed it and hit with some coaxing. :tipup:

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:57 PM »
HA!  Thats what time I got on - there the problem.  Thats what I get for sleeping in.  I've usually had better success in the morning and evenings. 

Mornings are always better IMO :)

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:17 PM »
i agree mornings are better as well. although my first trip out nailed them between 13:30 and 3:00. who knows with those damn things lol

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:29 AM »
anybody been out at cb lately? if so, how is it?

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Was decent today at CBR, didn't move around on account of the wind bite stopped at 2:30.

Offline shackeeloreel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your tip-up!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Went out at Warner Road 2010-12-22, fished 12 feet and 15 feet, all kinds of lures and bait caught nothing. Water was very cloudy. No bites and nothing marking on the Vex. Was out 9:30-12:30. :tipup:

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Went out at Warner Road 2010-12-22, fished 12 feet and 15 feet, all kinds of lures and bait caught nothing. Water was very cloudy. No bites and nothing marking on the Vex. Was out 9:30-12:30. :tipup:

One week ago,my experience was very much the same as yours.Only marked I fish (smallSauger) caught. in 5 hours. Started at daybreak.  2 Holes 2 H/bird  45s, one in each hole.

Not 15 feet away, my buddy Was marking fish regularly. He iced 5 nice greens, biggest 24" and 4 sauger using same set up as me. Go figure. That's fissin. ;)zeus

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:14 PM »

One week ago,my experience was very much the same as yours.Only marked I fish (smallSauger) caught. in 5 hours. Started at daybreak.  2 Holes 2 H/bird  45s, one in each hole.

Not 15 feet away, my buddy Was marking fish regularly. He iced 5 nice greens, biggest 24" and 4 sauger using same set up as me. Go figure. That's fissin. ;)zeus

Wow :o  frustrating..thats when ya just got to move over a bit! :)

FF

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Wow :o  frustrating..thats when ya just got to move over a bit! :)

FF

No! after 5 hours I decided to switch my f/finders on.. Jkg. We did move and that was when my luck changed. I marked my one and only fish. the SAUGER. Then nothing like b4. ;D

Offline fdishing_god1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Winnipeg
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:16 PM »
where should i go on lw Sunday to fish ? :)
Ice fishing isn't a Hobby it's a life style

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:28 PM »
If you read my last 2 posts. You will realise I am the last person to help. ???

Good luck, I am sure sombody will help. ;) ;) zeus

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:36 AM »

One week ago,my experience was very much the same as yours.Only marked I fish (smallSauger) caught. in 5 hours. Started at daybreak.  2 Holes 2 H/bird  45s, one in each hole.

Same thing happened yesterday at EOM. When I had 4 on the ice, my buddy ended switching to same lures,making holes all around me, going to other people's old holes, using my minnows then finally Lockporting me within 6 feet right in line with me before he landed his first fish. That's fishing  :D Been there done that  ;D
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

johnnybravo

« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Same thing happened yesterday at EOM. When I had 4 on the ice, my buddy ended switching to same lures,making holes all around me, going to other people's old holes, using my minnows then finally Lockporting me within 6 feet right in line with me before he landed his first fish. That's fishing  :D Been there done that  ;D
Lockporting me.....that's funny. reminds me of deercamp ;)

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:28 AM »

One should be proud when others want to "Lockport" you ;D

FF

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:04 PM »
One should be proud when others want to "Lockport" you ;D

FF
You're right...never thought of it like that  :)
You hear that AC  :woot: :thumbsup: :clap: :bow: :roflmao:
Bring those "sin"namon buns and I'll Lockport you all the time  ;)

Offline gmk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I was out for the first time this season, out CB, on ice at 7:30, fishing by 8.  First fish, 24" followed by several more all in the 18 -20 range all in the morning.  Then at 12:30 my buddy pulled at PB @ 25" (thru ice as PB) and countless saugers.  All in all a great opening day, brought home our two limits by 1:00.

Offline shackeeloreel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep your tip-up!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:42 PM »
The only thing that get's in Johnny's way at deercamp is a bottle of Wisers. :tipup:

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:01 PM »
I did well my first and only time on Lake Winni and I was only a few hundred yards out. Is it worth going farr out? I'm having a hard time deciding to do that cause I want to go to the exact same spot. And I don't think I'll want to move during the day. But I guess any spot is hit and miss...
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:05 PM »
I did well my first and only time on Lake Winni and I was only a few hundred yards out. Is it worth going farr out? I'm having a hard time deciding to do that cause I want to go to the exact same spot. And I don't think I'll want to move during the day. But I guess any spot is hit and miss...

I found the water to be a clearer further out, by about 2 miles out the water was nice and clear (got my limit as well today)  

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:36 AM »
I found the water to be a clearer further out, by about 2 miles out the water was nice and clear (got my limit as well today)  
How were the winds out there?
Did you set up a pop-up?
Many people out?

Offline fdishing_god1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2010, 01:08 PM »
I want to go out for the first time at lake winnipeg  but I don't  know the area so how far should I go out , where should I go out and how do I get there it would be verey helpful thanke you fishing_god1212, and dose anyone want to  met up with me asnd my budyy to show us where a good spot is and hang out there we do not have a shake thowe  :'( so if you would want to please tell me 

Offline Fish up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I want to go out for the first time at lake winnipeg  but I don't  know the area so how far should I go out , where should I go out and how do I get there it would be verey helpful thanke you fishing_god1212, and dose anyone want to  met up with me asnd my budyy to show us where a good spot is and hang out there we do not have a shake thowe  :'( so if you would want to please tell me 
Do yo have any margerine/old minnow containers I have left my scoop at home before and well you make do when your out on the ice. Last time it happend I was using a coke can I cut the top off, which was only slightly warmer then using my hand! I am sure you could rig something nice up at home before you go.

Offline 40 Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I was out today for the first time this year. Had a hell of a time setting up the clam, but once we got it up it was all good. I was marking fish on the hummingbird, but it was slow going. I caught 3 walleyes with one keeper. My buddy did the same. Talked to others and all said it was slow today. man the wind was crazy!!

Offline fdishing_god1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Do yo have any margerine/old minnow containers I have left my scoop at home before and well you make do when your out on the ice. Last time it happend I was using a coke can I cut the top off, which was only slightly warmer then using my hand! I am sure you could rig something nice up at home before you go.
but do you know where i soudl go out on lake winnipeg , how far should i go out and what time shoul I go out please HELPE ME IT IS ONILY MY 2 YEAR AND MY BUDYY'S 1 YEAR

Offline zeus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2010, 06:49 PM »

What on earth is that all about. No body mentioned not having a scoop. ::) ::) zeus

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.