Author Topic: ice shantys on river  (Read 8408 times)

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice shantys on river
« Reply #30 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:14 PM »
charging people would never work, first of all people wouldnt pay and the government would never set up the program to do the clean up...in my opinion....so i have to ask, andre, is there any talk of banning permanent shacks...if people cant clean up after themselves then why not ban them...i do realize that some people that have permies do clean up, but if it is such a big problem, then ban them. i own a portable and drive by cil everytime i go to selkirk and cant believe the crap people leave behing...and a 3/4 pail full of ....is f...ing ignorant, everybody says fisherman are supposed to be better people, when it comes to this type of stuff but obviously they arent

Prohibiting the use of permanent structures is certainly being discussed.  It is high on the list of possible options along with developing and implementing a permitting system.

Everyone needs to remember why these structures exist in the first place.   They were developed to provide anglers with shelter from the winter elements.  They've become something else almost entirely as people use them as gathering places for socializing with liquor.  I guarantee you that almost every one of the Red River shacks has had booze in it this winter!  They are fishing shacks!

And because they are so accessible to the public, they are targets for thieves, vandals, free loaders and anyone who thinks that they have a right to use them, whether they own them or not.

They are fishing shelters, that's it!  That's why they were invented and that's why we need to go back to that concept.  As it stands, portable shelters are THE FISHING SHELTERS.  Even though some illegal acts occur in portables, the difference in violations in terms of garbage accumulation is enormous!  Plus nobody trashes your portable because it leaves with you at the end of the fishing session!  This concept is so simple.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:39 AM »
I own a permament and a portable shack. The comparison to a snow pass is redicules, snow pass is an option for me and you are recieving a service in echange! Why should I pay money to someonne to clean up another persons mess?

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:39 AM »
So Andre, is it the red that has the biggest problem? Or are all perm shacks that are a problem. I have thought that it might be nice to go in with my brother and build a shack to put on Buffalo bay. I could see how shacks are being used as "club houses" on the red, seeing as it is so close to the city.

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:58 AM »
Prohibiting the use of permanent structures is certainly being discussed.  It is high on the list of possible options along with developing and implementing a permitting system.

Everyone needs to remember why these structures exist in the first place.   They were developed to provide anglers with shelter from the winter elements.  They've become something else almost entirely as people use them as gathering places for socializing with liquor.  I guarantee you that almost every one of the Red River shacks has had booze in it this winter!  They are fishing shacks!

And because they are so accessible to the public, they are targets for thieves, vandals, free loaders and anyone who thinks that they have a right to use them, whether they own them or not.

They are fishing shelters, that's it!  That's why they were invented and that's why we need to go back to that concept.  As it stands, portable shelters are THE FISHING SHELTERS.  Even though some illegal acts occur in portables, the difference in violations in terms of garbage accumulation is enormous!  Plus nobody trashes your portable because it leaves with you at the end of the fishing session!  This concept is so simple.
My permanent shack was on the river this year and did not once have liquor in it.  I Fish from sun up til about 11.  I can wait till I get home to have a beer.  Personally, I like the convenience of driving up lighting the fire, drilling holes and fishing, especialy when it's minus 40. Maybe the CRO's should have a greater prescence out there.  I never saw them once this year.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #34 on: Mar 17, 2010, 09:05 AM »
I'm in favor of banning permanents.  Those are the party shacks and the biggest violators as far as I'm concerned, at least from what I see around here, and I'm nowhere near the Red.   Its the convienence of being able to get out there that brings these people out.  Fishing and the environment are at the bottom of the list as why they're there.  If these people had to drag out a portable and set up everytime to fish, I think most would just stay home, and leave the ice for the more serious ice fisher persons.  Now I know not all permanents are party shacks, some are actually used for there intended purpose, but how many portables do you see as party shacks? not nearly as many.

I don't think a permit system would do a whole lot, unless the money goes back into cleaning everything up, but with all the water in MB that wouldn't work the greatest, and would turn out to be just another $ grab with nothing accomplished.  It may deter some from coming out, yes, but I think we'd still see the problems as long as there are permanent shacks on the ice.  

Offline the_infamous_steve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:05 AM »

....... As it stands, portable shelters are THE FISHING SHELTERS.  Even though some illegal acts occur in portables, the difference in violations in terms of garbage accumulation is enormous!

ok, let's step back into reality and let common sense prevail for a few seconds.  So you're really going to separate anglers into 2 categories, "permanent shack owners, and portable shack owners" ?  It's that simple? So you're saying permanent shack owners as a rule of thumb are more prone to littering?  Come on.  Some people are ignorant, i'll give you that...but it has nothing to do with the kind of shack they use.  

Permanent shacks usually don't move as often, so if an ignorant slob occupied it and left 2 weeks of litter on the ice, it would be concentrated in one spot.  Now lets look at the same type of ignorant slob that owns a portable (which makes him a better person by some people's standards).  He comes out, litters on the ice for the day, packs up and goes home.  Next weekend same thing in a different spot.  The only difference is the shack is no longer there, and the litter is in 2 different spots.  Of course anybody with their minds already made up that has the uncanny ability to paint everyone with the same brush, could just look at the portable's litter and assume it was a permanent shack that offended the said area and moved on.

I won't deny that you might have a littering problem in your area, but you can't seriously judge a person based on what he brings out to the lake.  Have the NRO's create more of a presence in the offending areas and make a few examples of these guys.  Of course it's easier making new rules, but if it comes down to a bann, it won't just be the winnipeg area affected, (it never works that way)... it affects me, in rural manitba on my local lakes where we don't have the same problem.  Nip the problem in the bud, don't restrict the rest of the province based on the actions of a few.

As far as other posts of banning permies, it's insane.  I have 2 permanent shacks.  When I take the wife and kids out, we don't leave a shred of garbage on the ice, the kids (5 and 8yrs) who have no interest in fishing, have a blast playing outside.  When they come in, we have the luxury of making fresh hot chocolate and hanging up and drying their mits and skipants..... while they watch a movie on the dvd player.  While they are occupied with all this me and my wife get to enjoy spending the day fishing.  If all i had was a portable, i'd never be able to get the kids out there more that a couple times a year due to the "i'm bored and cold syndrom".  For us, our shack provides us with winter camping daytrips for our family and friends, and to anyone who thinks you can paint us, or anyone like us with the same brush and deny us the right to have permanent shacks.... you are a fool.

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 17, 2010, 11:06 AM »
My permanent shack was on the river this year and did not once have liquor in it.  I Fish from sun up til about 11.  I can wait till I get home to have a beer.  Personally, I like the convenience of driving up lighting the fire, drilling holes and fishing, especialy when it's minus 40. Maybe the CRO's should have a greater prescence out there.  I never saw them once this year.

interesting isnt it lolol
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 17, 2010, 12:48 PM »
why don't they just ban perm. shacks and make everyone buy portables. I think this would be a good idea because with portables you can move around to find the fish. With perms. you don't really have that luxury. another advantage of this is, if you decide you want to go fish another body of water, you can easily pack up your shack and gear and go! Again with perms. you don't have this luxury either. Just my 2 cents.  :)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 17, 2010, 01:26 PM »
you can easily pack up your shack and gear and go! Again with perms. you don't have this luxury either. Just my 2 cents.  :)
um, all you do is close the holes and hitch to your truck, quad, or snowmachine.  They're not made on a concrete slab, they have skids....intended for skidding i suppose.  

i prefer moving with my permanent as opposed to when we go with my buddy's portable.  it's actually easier to just drag it around as opposed to taking a portable down and re-packing all your gear into transport mode, just to unfold it later and bring your gear back in again when you're at the intended spot.

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:03 PM »
um, all you do is close the holes and hitch to your truck, quad, or snowmachine.  They're not made on a concrete slab, they have skids....intended for skidding i suppose.  

i prefer moving with my permanent as opposed to when we go with my buddy's portable.  it's actually easier to just drag it around as opposed to taking a portable down and re-packing all your gear into transport mode, just to unfold it later and bring your gear back in again when you're at the intended spot.

ok, I agree, perms. would be easier to move IF you are going to try another spot on the same lake, but if u want to go try out another lake, portables would be much easier. I don't think i've saw people pulling perms. behind their trucks when they are going to another lake! they would have to have a trailer wouldn't they? ALSO not all perm. shacks have skids. To me portables have more advantages than perms do. JUST MY THOUGHTS. :)

Offline Chunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 17, 2010, 03:19 PM »
why don't they just ban perm. shacks and make everyone buy portables. I think this would be a good idea because with portables you can move around to find the fish. With perms. you don't really have that luxury. another advantage of this is, if you decide you want to go fish another body of water, you can easily pack up your shack and gear and go! Again with perms. you don't have this luxury either. Just my 2 cents.  :)

Heh Maw thats a great idea, while they are at it they should ban Ford trucks since I saw one broke down "littering" the side of the road today (must mean they are more prone to breakdowns).  Everyone has there own preference for there own reasons so no need to ban something just because you don't like them.  I have a permanent and enjoy taking my daughter out for the day and having fun, if we catch some fish that is good too.  I have been on 3 different lakes in the last week and have only seen a few wood chips and foot prints, so maybe the problem is more to do with the big city area and not necessarily all the permanent shacks in Manitoba.
Take er easy!

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 17, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Once again it must be explained that they are fishing shelters!  Not party houses, social halls or seasonal cottages!  There is undeniable evidence of the "footprint" that these shacks leave on the landscape!  I have said it often that this problem is huge on the "Red River!"  I've also worked in other areas in my 30 years with this Dept. and I've seen it "all" in terms of permanent shelter utilization!

I've got a couple hundred more but this should get the point accross!

I admire that you bring your family to do this and that!  I've been there with my wife and two kids when they were the same age as Steve's and younger.  They've fished, snowmobiled, built snowmen, snow forts, whatever!  But they've never fished out of permanent shelters and both love fishing to this day at 26 and 22 years of age.

It's very similar to the barbed issue in many ways.  Barbed hooks are still encountered on a daily basis even though barbless regulations were implemented in the early 1990s.  My kids have never fished with barbed hooks yet they seem to catch lots of fish and lots of big fish too!  It's a mentality, an attitude of eff the government because this is my planet and I'll do what I want, where I want, when I want and how I want!

Visit enough of these sites and you'll see photographs of toddlers holding fish, playing in the snow, basically doing all the things that kids do in the winter time.  There isn't a permanent shelter in sight yet these kids are thoroughly enjoying themselves.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 17, 2010, 05:48 PM »
1st of all, those guys don't know how to make a fire.  When i burn mine after a frustrating day of fishing, there's nothing left but the nails and screws.  No, I joke. The pictures are truely disturbing.

It's not an argument as to whether my kids will enjoy fishing with or without a good shack.  It's an argument that people like yourself think it's a good idea to take away rights of others based on the actions of a few.  I'm not under any delusions that you or anyone on this forum actually have the power to ban the use of wooden shacks, so maybe i'm wasting my time arguing my point, but my side needs to be heard if nothing else.

All i'm saying is where do you draw the line?  We have enough rules and regs. in place, (just enforce them) and the thinking that more rules is better, is a dangerous thing and it's a slippery slope my friend.  It takes away the ability to make good decisions for ourselves, and grants our government the authority to make more decisions for us.  Granted, some people don't make good decisions, but that's what your job is for Gatorhunter.  I know having rules is important, and enforcing them is equally so.

I don't agree that it's like the barbed hook issue at at.  If you're using a barbed hook, you're breaking the law.  there's no grey area.  But If i'm using a wooden shack, i'm not necessarily littering and i don't feel entitled to do so.

You want an example.... Drunk drivers are at a higher risk of causing accidents, so maybe we should ban vehicles altogether to solve the problem.  That's an easy fix right? ....you know, rather than just enforcing the law that it's illegal to drink and drive.  That way everyone can (and will have to) drive bicycles and mo-peds because they're more portable and you don't have to leave them outside unattended.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:08 PM »
I'm in favor of banning permanents.  Those are the party shacks and the biggest violators as far as I'm concerned, at least from what I see around here, and I'm nowhere near the Red.   Its the convienence of being able to get out there that brings these people out.  Fishing and the environment are at the bottom of the list as why they're there.  If these people had to drag out a portable and set up everytime to fish, I think most would just stay home, and leave the ice for the more serious ice fisher persons.  Now I know not all permanents are party shacks, some are actually used for there intended purpose, but how many portables do you see as party shacks? not nearly as many.

I don't think a permit system would do a whole lot, unless the money goes back into cleaning everything up, but with all the water in MB that wouldn't work the greatest, and would turn out to be just another $ grab with nothing accomplished.  It may deter some from coming out, yes, but I think we'd still see the problems as long as there are permanent shacks on the ice.  
I have one of the biggest shacks on the ice,it's just like a cabin and we do socialize in it.The holes are always open and full of rods all day and night if we are there.We have had CO's drop in every year and never got a complaint about garbage or ever had booze out for anyone to see.I also have a portable shack and use it at first freeze,end of season and allover Manitoba if I want to try differant spots.
We invite everyone in to warm up or have a look around,we've had tourist come by from as far away as Germany.They sit, take pictures,we enjoy the hole experience.We have been on the news and the radio.Sure maybe we are the exception.
I have no problem with a permit.Andre can come down on the ice,take a picture of my shack,sell me a permit,use the money to come back the last week and take picture if I leave a mess,then send me the fine.

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:16 PM »
1st of all, those guys don't know how to make a fire.  When i burn mine after a frustrating day of fishing, there's nothing left but the nails and screws.  No, I joke. The pictures are truely disturbing.

It's not an argument as to whether my kids will enjoy fishing with or without a good shack.  It's an argument that people like yourself think it's a good idea to take away rights of others based on the actions of a few.  I'm not under any delusions that you or anyone on this forum actually have the power to ban the use of wooden shacks, so maybe i'm wasting my time arguing my point, but my side needs to be heard if nothing else.

All i'm saying is where do you draw the line?  We have enough rules and regs. in place, (just enforce them) and the thinking that more rules is better, is a dangerous thing and it's a slippery slope my friend.  It takes away the ability to make good decisions for ourselves, and grants our government the authority to make more decisions for us.  Granted, some people don't make good decisions, but that's what your job is for Gatorhunter.  I know having rules is important, and enforcing them is equally so.

I don't agree that it's like the barbed hook issue at at.  If you're using a barbed hook, you're breaking the law.  there's no grey area.  But If i'm using a wooden shack, i'm not necessarily littering and i don't feel entitled to do so.

You want an example.... Drunk drivers are at a higher risk of causing accidents, so maybe we should ban vehicles altogether to solve the problem.  That's an easy fix right? ....you know, rather than just enforcing the law that it's illegal to drink and drive.  That way everyone can (and will have to) drive bicycles and mo-peds because they're more portable and you don't have to leave them outside unattended.

You've listed a whole bunch of examples that have no relation to the item that you're trying to compare.  You might also want to change the word delusion to illusion!

There is no "right" attached to a fishing shelter, plain and simple.  It is a privilege based on convenience!  You're correct in that I don't have the power to remove this horribly mis-utilized privilege.  However, I do have the authority and blessing from my employers to take this issue public.  You may have noticed this in the news lately!

The point with the barbed hooks is that despite peoples' opposition to this regulation and the existence of violations to this day, many people are following this regulation and are thankful that it exists.  Their angling experiences have improved because of this regulation.  It is my belief and that of many others that getting rid of these hard walled, garbage collecting, rowdy and criminal behaviour attractants will result in improved angling and outdoor experiences.

Vehicles are not banned because in Canada we kind of NEED them.  We don't NEED permanent fishing shelters.

Offline flat liner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 17, 2010, 07:16 PM »
ya good ideal,and evertime you move you can leave your garbage behind,like you guys always do right next to my perminant shack.I guess i don't catch fish in my shack,that why you guys always set up next to it.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:01 PM »
nope....pretty sure i meant delusions!  Google the definition buddy.

you write : It is my belief and that of many others that getting rid of these hard walled, garbage collecting, rowdy and criminal behaviour attractants will result in improved angling and outdoor experiences.

yeah, criminal behavior .... that's the real reason i have a permanent, because I lock the door and do hookers, shoot up crack, and watch my satellite tv.....with a pirated card. :o

wow, it's pointless even continuing with you! I've made my point in the previous posts, and it's there for everyone to see.  

Offline firemb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:07 PM »
You've listed a whole bunch of examples that have no relation to the item that you're trying to compare.  You might also want to change the word delusion to illusion!

There is no "right" attached to a fishing shelter, plain and simple.  It is a privilege based on convenience!  You're correct in that I don't have the power to remove this horribly mis-utilized privilege.  However, I do have the authority and blessing from my employers to take this issue public.  You may have noticed this in the news lately!

The point with the barbed hooks is that despite peoples' opposition to this regulation and the existence of violations to this day, many people are following this regulation and are thankful that it exists.  Their angling experiences have improved because of this regulation.  It is my belief and that of many others that getting rid of these hard walled, garbage collecting, rowdy and criminal behaviour attractants will result in improved angling and outdoor experiences.

Vehicles are not banned because in Canada we kind of NEED them.  We don't NEED permanent fishing shelters.

Last time I checked having a drivers license and owning a vehicle were a privilege, not a right. They sure are nice to have but a lot of people get by with out them just fine. ;)

[img]

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 17, 2010, 08:16 PM »
nope....pretty sure i meant delusions!  Google the definition buddy.

Okely Dokely!  A delusion, in everyday language, is a fixed belief that is either false, fanciful, or derived from deception. Psychiatry defines the term more specifically as a belief that is pathological (the result of an illness or illness process). As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, "incorrect" dogma, stupidity, apperception, illusion, or other effects of perception.

Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or mental illness, although they are not tied to any particular disease and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental). However, they are of particular diagnostic importance in psychotic disorders and particularly in schizophrenia, paraphrenia, manic episodes of bipolar disorder, and psychotic depression.

Offline master instigator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Mar 17, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Well first off I would like to say I own both types of shelters.  I like them both for different reasons, and would hate to see one or the other become banned.  It is very disgraceful to see the photos of the burnt garbage.  What I don’t understand it that in this day and age it can’t be controlled better.  First off, having a shack that has “warning” notices from 4 years ago is outrageous.  How would barbed hooks, seatbelt, or drinking and driving laws be upheld if everyone always got just a warning?  The regs state permanent shack must display name and number.  If a shack doesn’t have it yank it off, no warning, take it to a holding location, and if someone comes to claim it they get a ticket.  People would conform quickly.  Permanents do tend to move from time to time, but for the most part they are stationary, and with gps I can’t see how all the shacks can’t be entered with the names and numbers to the location for identification.  I think for the most part that it is not a discussion of permanent vs. portable.  It’s a discussion of ice fishermen in general.  The public is looking at this as all ice fishermen are doing this, and we as a whole need to smarten up to correct it.  If you see someone burning a shack or garbage or sofas whatever, it needs to be dealt with quickly by taking down all information and reporting it.  I can guarantee that the pictures are not taken from permanent location to location.  There have been many removed and cleaned properly in-between these pictures but these bad seeds are ruining it.  In summery if you force people to comply with their information on the shack, and that information is entered into a data base where they can held accountable for any mess, and people were quick to report violations when they occur then these people would quickly conform or move on.
Let's see...Ice shack, auger, snowmobile, rods, flasher, heater...My Walleye averages out to be $67.83 Per Lbs.

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Once again, I have a portable and a permanent shack! As for you MAW 31, If you want to ban my shack ill give you the address to send me my cheque for $800 to replace the cost for building it! Every shack must have a name and number on it for identification, so I think that some sort of GPS system would be great to track them and hammer them with fines but I can almost guarantee that they don't have the man power to manage something like that.
The bottom line is that the people at fault have to be targetted instead of a whole group! The problem is how do you monitor this?

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:05 AM »
You enforce it plain and simple, digital cameras, gps, christ there is all sorts of gadgets out there, a map, a chart, banning permanent shacks isnt the solution. It's a piss poor idea that wont solve nothing. You know what you would get, a bunch of portable shack owners leaving sh@t eveywhere thats what you will get. Charge more for a licence, charge for a shack whatever this is 2010 I am sure Manitoba Conservation are smart enough to ensure the proper funds are allocated to some company to clean it up. You can say all you want "well there shouldn't be a mess in the first place" well suck it up buttercup drive down every highway, street back lane in the spring and what is there................. ...................... .......garbage!!!! and what happens............... .................it gets cleaned up!!!!and how does it get cleaned up ...................... .........because we pay taxes to pay for that service... So telling me that charging 100 buck a shack lets say isnt going to work because the money wouldnt get used for that is a load of BULL!!!!
Theres tags of spray paint the kids are putting everywhere............ ....lets ban spray paint.......... theres plastic bags flying around everywhere ban them now!!! pop cans are everywhere    ban them !!!!! ..... ban everything !!!!! Seriously all I can say is typical gov't operation!!!!!!!! Jesus I dont even own a permanent shack but this is just getting stupid....

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:12 AM »
Well first off I would like to say I own both types of shelters.  I like them both for different reasons, and would hate to see one or the other become banned.  It is very disgraceful to see the photos of the burnt garbage.  What I don’t understand it that in this day and age it can’t be controlled better.  First off, having a shack that has “warning” notices from 4 years ago is outrageous.  How would barbed hooks, seatbelt, or drinking and driving laws be upheld if everyone always got just a warning?  The regs state permanent shack must display name and number.  If a shack doesn’t have it yank it off, no warning, take it to a holding location, and if someone comes to claim it they get a ticket.  People would conform quickly.  Permanents do tend to move from time to time, but for the most part they are stationary, and with gps I can’t see how all the shacks can’t be entered with the names and numbers to the location for identification.  I think for the most part that it is not a discussion of permanent vs. portable.  It’s a discussion of ice fishermen in general.  The public is looking at this as all ice fishermen are doing this, and we as a whole need to smarten up to correct it.  If you see someone burning a shack or garbage or sofas whatever, it needs to be dealt with quickly by taking down all information and reporting it.  I can guarantee that the pictures are not taken from permanent location to location.  There have been many removed and cleaned properly in-between these pictures but these bad seeds are ruining it.  In summery if you force people to comply with their information on the shack, and that information is entered into a data base where they can held accountable for any mess, and people were quick to report violations when they occur then these people would quickly conform or move on.

Unmarked shacks seized!  No owners came forward!  Yard full of junk to dispose!  Strategy didn't work!  Guess we'll have to try something else!

Photos taken every few steps below CIL road.  Standing at the bottom of the CIL access, without binoculars, counted over 100 sites (gave up at 100) where significant debris was left by permy.  Highest count of shacks between Reids and Steam plant (which is a larger area than debris count) around end of January, approximately 187.

I'll say it again!  Number of bad apples....majority!  Above noted recommendations on how to do our jobs have been discussed at length by the people who know these issues the best.....won't work well enough to make a noticeable difference let alone fixing the problem.  Sorry man, we've discussed the ways of fixing this issue inside and out for years.

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 18, 2010, 12:23 AM »
"Above noted recommendations on how to do our jobs have been discussed at length by the people who know these issues the best.....won't work well enough to make a noticeable difference let alone fixing the problem."

This is just getting sad..... :'(

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 18, 2010, 08:50 AM »

while they are at it they should ban Ford trucks since I saw one broke down "littering" the side of the road today (must mean they are more prone to breakdowns). 

My dad always says Ford stands for Found On Road Dead... ;)

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:23 AM »
FORD   Found On River Dragging  ( out stuck chevy suburbans and yukons out of the snow )

Offline firemb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:58 AM »
A majority of the Red River is not a majority of Manitoba. I'm not saying that this does not happen anywhere else but where I fish it is far from a problem. Although I do agree that the people causing the problem should be charged,beaten,fined whatever it takes to get rid of the mess.

[img]

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:03 AM »
Once again it must be explained that they are fishing shelters!  Not party houses, social halls or seasonal cottages!  There is undeniable evidence of the "footprint" that these shacks leave on the landscape!  I have said it often that this problem is huge on the "Red River!"  I've also worked in other areas in my 30 years with this Dept. and I've seen it "all" in terms of permanent shelter utilization!

(Image removed from quote.)

I've got a couple hundred more but this should get the point accross!

I admire that you bring your family to do this and that!  I've been there with my wife and two kids when they were the same age as Steve's and younger.  They've fished, snowmobiled, built snowmen, snow forts, whatever!  But they've never fished out of permanent shelters and both love fishing to this day at 26 and 22 years of age.

It's very similar to the barbed issue in many ways.  Barbed hooks are still encountered on a daily basis even though barbless regulations were implemented in the early 1990s.  My kids have never fished with barbed hooks yet they seem to catch lots of fish and lots of big fish too!  It's a mentality, an attitude of eff the government because this is my planet and I'll do what I want, where I want, when I want and how I want!

Visit enough of these sites and you'll see photographs of toddlers holding fish, playing in the snow, basically doing all the things that kids do in the winter time.  There isn't a permanent shelter in sight yet these kids are thoroughly enjoying themselves.

those pictures are discusting! :sick: something has to be done about this.  :%$#!:

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #58 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:33 AM »
I have an Idea. How about giving the local Boy Scouts a chance for some extra Cash? Someone has to clean it up right? It would be nice if the mess wasn't there, but that will take a long time to change those fisherman's attitudes toward leaving things the way they found them.
I use to belong to the Experimental Airplane Club. Every year thousands of people would converge at Oshkosh for a fly-in. Do you know how they kept it clean? All of the members would pick up the trash whenever they saw it and dispose of it correctly. This was a well known practice and they where proud of it. If those fisherman that are making the messes had any pride, they wouldn't even through a cigarette butt on the ice.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:45 AM »
I have an Idea. How about giving the local Boy Scouts a chance for some extra Cash?

This is the smartest post on here! But this wont work right andre ...... Even if you gave them $10000... Whats 10 grand in the big picture? I like it.!!!AWESOME IDEA MICHIANAFISHERMAN! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.