Author Topic: Upper Red Regs.........please be wheel house ready by Friday.  (Read 724 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Upper Red Regs.........please be wheel house ready by Friday.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2016, 09:57 PM »
With those restricted/slot limits ~ seems to be an adventure in futility.     ???

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 03:44 AM »
learn the lake hope for a hog and eat a couple a day

Offline PerchRapala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:22 AM »
I'll be up there Friday-Monday. Also, those regs are just for the little people. If you have the ability to fish the lower lake, you can keep 10, or even 100 as long as you "sell them" to the canary. This doesn't affect upper red at all, as there is a magical barrier the separates the two lakes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:31 AM »
I'll be up there Friday-Monday. Also, those regs are just for the little people. If you have the ability to fish the lower lake, you can keep 10, or even 100 as long as you "sell them" to the canary. This doesn't affect upper red at all, as there is a magical barrier the separates the two lakes.

What is crazy is just how many walleye that lake produces and continues to produce with the amount of pressure it gets. It's just about unfathomable just how many had to be removed from the lake to cause the original collapse. 

It looks like some think this is a really restrictive reg. However, I'm use to it. Most of the lakes here in Iowa have a 17-22in slot with only allowing 3 walleyes for harvest, due to the pressures and harvest they receive.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:33 AM »
learn the lake hope for a hog and eat a couple a day

Been doing that for about 10yrs now. 😉

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Heading up for my first Upper Red trip over New Years, sleeper house for 2 days. It sounds houses will be going out of Rogers this weekend by atv, trucks potentially by 12/21

Offline PerchRapala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2016, 07:18 AM »
Hopefully the water clears up. It was horrible last weekend, my crew fished 12 hours with one walleye. Clarity was non-existent. Talked to my buddy up there last night, it's still really slow, but the water is getting better. If it clears up, this weekend should be rock and roll time. Most fish will be in 6-8 feet, so start there.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:10 AM »
It looks like some think this is a really restrictive reg. However, I'm use to it. Most of the lakes here in Iowa have a 17-22in slot with only allowing 3 walleyes for harvest, due to the pressures and harvest they receive.
[/quote]

Having a hatchery built on the lake, and heavy stocking after the first collapse helps immensely.

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:59 AM »
I'm headed up Sunday-Monday I think.  Hopefully the fishing is better than it has been, but with a -20 real temp forecasted for Sunday morning I don't have high hopes.  Maybe Monday will be better - it's supposed to get to 14 and be overcast. 

I've heard the best bite is at night right now which isn't usually the case up there during early ice...particularly when the water clarity is down.  Go figure!

Good luck to you!  If I happen to get into them on  Sunday I'll shoot you a PM with what worked, though I suspect you'll already have them figured out by then!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:31 PM »
I'm headed up Sunday-Monday I think.  Hopefully the fishing is better than it has been, but with a -20 real temp forecasted for Sunday morning I don't have high hopes.  Maybe Monday will be better - it's supposed to get to 14 and be overcast. 

I've heard the best bite is at night right now which isn't usually the case up there during early ice...particularly when the water clarity is down.  Go figure!

Good luck to you!  If I happen to get into them on  Sunday I'll shoot you a PM with what worked, though I suspect you'll already have them figured out by then!

Well, we were talking leaving Friday night, but looks like we might hold off till Sunday due to a local blizzard possibility. Also thinking by Monday we should be able to pull the shack out with the pickup.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.