Author Topic: Black Betty Line Capacity  (Read 4235 times)

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Black Betty Line Capacity
« on: Jan 26, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Folks,

I'm interested in purchasing a Black Betty reel (the standard version, not the 6061) for a jig rod.  I've searched the internet high and low and can't find the stated line capacity.  The manufacturer doesn't list it on the website.  And, even the good folks at FishUSA couldn't find out today.

So, for those who own the reel, how much line does it hold?

Thanks in advance.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Black Betty Line Capacity
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Reels only good to about 20' max, after that it takes forever to peel line off and to reel it back in....

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:58 PM »
I put 50 yards of 2 lb braid on and you cant even tell there is any line on it I bet it would hold several hundred yards of 2 lb
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I'd guess it would hold at least 200 yards of 2lb line if you don't use backing. Why does this matter? like previously said, they are only good to about 20 feet deep. Realistically 20 yards should be plenty of line, maybe 30 in case you hook a bigger fish by accident.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Thanks, Fellas.

I contacted 13 Fishing Sunday evening and they responded by yesterday morning.  The reel holds 2 - 300 yds of 2#.  The rep also clearly stated that the reel was strictly for shallow water panfishing.

Based on your advice and the rep's suggestions, I decided the reel isn't appropriate for my intended use (jigging smelt in 20 - 50').  Instead, I ordered a LH Tear Drop (LH 6061s are sold out) and 4# fluorocarbon from FishUSA last night.  Now, should a trout whack the Hali, I won't be outmatched!

I was initially skeptical about spending that kind of $ for an ice reel, but after seeing how responsive 13 Fishing is, I'm confident it'll be $ well spent.

BTW, line capacity does matter.  It's simple geometry -- a full spool on a direct drive reel will retrieve more line per crank. A full Black Betty probably retrieves 8 - 9" per crank while one with 50 yds will only retrieve around 6" per.

Tight lines.

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:51 PM »
BTW, line capacity does matter.  It's simple geometry -- a full spool on a direct drive reel will retrieve more line per crank. A full Black Betty probably retrieves 8 - 9" per crank while one with 50 yds will only retrieve around 6" per.

Tight lines.
exactly. With a 200yd 2# capacity use enough backing to fill it full as possible and you will be able to retrieve more line.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Just don't use the Teardrop outside in freezing temps. Love the reel but it's useless on cold days...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.