Author Topic: Improving the Eagle Claw Inline Reel and a Very Interesting Discovery.  (Read 5398 times)

Offline hobobob

• IceShanty Rookie
Since I like to use pistol / pencil grip on my rod, I have been hesitant to get the Eagle Claw 2.6:1 inline reel since I can't really palm it. Finally bit the bullet and got one from Cabelas.  First impression: a bit rough in when reeling and it's noisy, drag pressure is bad and hard to adjust.  I decided to take it apart and   examine the inside components.  Maybe it's isolated, but my reel is bone dry inside, except for a few grease patches, lubrication was non-exsistant. That explain the noise and the roughness. There's no schematic with the reel, some screws can be easily stripped, so if you attempt to take this reel apart, be sure to use the correct screw driver and lay out the parts on the table in the order you take it off the reel.

To get to the drag washer, you pretty much have to take the whole reel apart, here is how I do it.
1. unscrew the spool nut ( all the way off ), take the spool off the reel, oil the bearings inside the spool.
2. unscrew the 3 screws on the inside cover, take the plastic cover off
3. locate the 4 screws on either side of the main gear, unscrew them CAREFULLY as they are right next to the brass main gear. Once the screws off, take off the the metal spool release mechanism. ( trapdoor looking metal thing that's on top of everything.
4. unscrew the 2 screws that's holding the metal plate on the pinion gear ( CAREFUL, these screws are easily stripped ), take off the pinion gear, metal plate, 2 springs.
5. flip the reel over, unscrew the spool release button on top of the handle assembly.
6. take the spool off, unscrew the nut plate screw, take the plate off and take the nut off with a 10mm socket or wrench.
7. loosen the drag star, keep the handle on and use it as leverage to get the drag star off, slide the curve washer and small metal washer off ( don't lose it.
8. push down on the drive shaft and the main gear assembly will come out the other side.
9. Take the metal drag washer off, now you see the the bane of this reel:  A simple plastic washer as the drag washer, it's not even fully flat!!  ???  I gladly replace it with a carbontex washer. ( use drag grease here ) If you do reel repair yourself, the smaller washer of many drag washer kits will be similar in size and can be use here. I used one from a shimano ct200 kit.  measurement is 17.1mm OD x 8.1mm ID . The drag kit along is about 1/3 the price of the reel. lol  Maybe you can get deal with dawn at smooth drag to get only the small washers.

Greased everything lightly with light grease, inverse the steps to put the reel back together, since the screws are onto plastic, don't over tighten it, easy does it. Now you'll have a much smoother and quieter reel with a smooth and capable drag, they should have done it from the factory!!

Now for the interesting part, after spooling the reel with line and playing it around a little, still can't palm it, especially with glove on, the reel is still of balance to the side as other has complained.  Playing it some more, I discovered something rather interesting that would make this reel work for me and many people.  You ready? 

** Take the reel off the rod, turn it arround, basically front to back, put the reel back on the rod, now flip the rod over and grip it like a baitcaster with reel on top. **

I know, mind goggling huh.  :o  This should be how the reel should be used, not on the bottom where it's off balance and you can't palm it. Now you can grip the rod with pistol / pencil grip, even with gloves on. Weight of the reel is right at your hand, so balance is no an issue.

Over all,  the eagle claw reel is a very good designed reel, especially for the money, the engineering is there. well, maybe it's there to begin with and company just pick up this reel for us ice fishing crowd. All the key part of inside the reel is made of metal, gears are made of brass, should be quite durable if the plastic parts don't crack.  Now for the bad part. Quality control is really bad for the reel, I can still see burs on gear and other metal parts inside the reel. Bone dry reel from factory can't be over looked.  Simple Plastic disc for drag washer, come on. Replace that one simple washer will make this reel a great reel and reduce quite a few returns I would imagined. Maybe I am expecting too much, especially for this price.  I am quite happy with the reel after the lube job and drag upgrade. Might get a few more after some real test on the water.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice write up; I'm waiting for EC to upgrade their straightline drag, saving for a 6061
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Got the same reel and took it apart to swap to right handed reeling. No lube. I took care of that really quick.

I think the drag stinks in it but that is the only drawback for me, I do not pencil grip.

For what I paid for it, even with the drag issue, I think it is a solid reel for the money.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.