Author Topic: black betty verses eagle claw fly reels  (Read 4262 times)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
black betty verses eagle claw fly reels
« on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I thought I would give some heads up on these 2 reels.the black betty does not have a drag really ,your hand on the spool is the drag not real got if you are holding the handle and a nice fish hits.the eagle claw is plastic but seems to work well and it does have a drag and I believe about half the price.have not used the eagle claw yet waitingfor ice to come back :'(

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: black betty verses eagle claw fly reels
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:40 PM »
The Black Betty & Code Blue inline interested me as they don't seem to hang off balance as the EC due to the double handle. Even the Teardrop reel slightly leans to the side when jigging...

Is it true that you reel against the drag on these reels?
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:57 PM »
the eagle claw is very light I have it on fenwick 27" and don't notice any balance problems but still have to get some real fishing time with it.the black betty has no drag you apply pressure with your hand on the spool.the spool doesn't move without the handle moving to.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2013, 02:29 PM »
So the eagle claw has a drag like a spinning reel??? You can reel against it is what ur saying?? I have three  black bettys and love them. Get the fenders or they are hard to use. The. Lack bettys are sorta like using back reel just gotta let the fish run when it wants to. I keep my hand on the reel knob when the wanna run and slow it that way. I havnt seen any inlines with a drag like a spinning reel yet that you can reel against the drag while going out. Clam spoolers and frabill straight lines are the same way as the betty.    D.T. oh i have yet to hold the eagle claw cant seem to find it anywhere here in central pa.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2013, 03:54 PM »
yes you can reel against it and you can hold on the handle and line can be still taken out.there is a star thing on the side that you adjust the drag with and there is a button on the handle that lets the bait free fall.now the drag doesn't feel as smooth as some of my shimano's I still have to have some fish on but it does have drag

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2013, 04:49 PM »
yes you can reel against it and you can hold on the handle and line can be still taken out.there is a star thing on the side that you adjust the drag with and there is a button on the handle that lets the bait free fall.now the drag doesn't feel as smooth as some of my shimano's I still have to have some fish on but it does have drag

Apples to oranges with the EC and regular BB, to be fair you need to put the BB 6061 with the EC... I personaly prefer the 6061's over the EC's

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Cool thanks for the info!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Apples to oranges with the EC and regular BB, to be fair you need to put the BB 6061 with the EC... I personaly prefer the 6061's over the EC's

Fair? Reading the OP it looks like he's comparing price points and that seems to be a fair comparison even though the BB ($39)is roughly twice what you'll shell out for the EC($22), the 6061 is a $100, big diff price wise........Totally different price point. But yeah, I'd take a 6061 over the Eagle Claw too! I don't mind dropping a $100 or $700+ on a reel if that's what I want while others would never think about dropping that amount of $$ on any reel.

Interesting reels and topic, looking forward to more insight and comparisons on these reels as I've considered them for hole hoppers, haven't decided which route to go yet....Inline or "real" fly reel?.........

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:33 AM »
The Black Betty & Code Blue inline interested me as they don't seem to hang off balance as the EC due to the double handle. Even the Teardrop reel slightly leans to the side when jigging...

Is it true that you reel against the drag on these reels?

in reply to the quoted person above:
yes it is reeling against the drag on the code blue and other reel like the black Betty.  but if chasing gills crappie you don't notice it there is  no need to tighten it all the way down so it work real easily reeling in and out.   but what i noticed about the double handle length is it is cumbersome and hard to use cause it is a longer reel than i am use to.   don't know if you have heard of the Michigan handle steel head rods  they developed a handle rod here in Michigan so it is shorter so easier to throw a fish off balance by switching tip angle on the fish.  if you were to do the same with a longer butt grip on a rod like of 15 -18 inches it would catch in your shirt and your not able to maneuver it easily. same with the extra long reel foot so it be come more a problem trying to find the reel handle once you set the hook.  but it is nice to be able to ware you glove wile fishing with the code blue reel and it has a very smooth drag if you ask me and will not notice it there if fishing lite line fish like crappie gills etc ...   just remember they are cumbersome to use...  i fish in a one man frabill and notice the cumbersomeness  more then any thing else most likely cause of the tight space. it is a good rel for $25 code blue is almost half the price of the black Betty at $39.99. but all and all it held up good so far the last four trip on the ice... now if fishing walleye with it go with a tear  drop you would be better off  or even a bait caster reel. 

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:59 AM »
 I own a Black Betty reel and I don't like how the drag works. Other than that it is smooth.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Great info.-- don't understand why it would be cumbersome tho'?

just remember they are cumbersome to use...  i fish in a one man frabill and notice the cumbersomeness  more then any thing else most likely cause of the tight space. it is a good rel for $25 code blue is almost half the price of the black Betty at $39.99. but all and all it held up good so far the last four trip on the ice...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:59 PM »
Great info.-- don't understand why it would be cumbersome tho'?

it is always smacking on my pant leg when i go to pick up the rod cause of the reel length is so long on the reel foot   then trying to reel it. it like the proportion of the reel are bigger then the standard spinning reel. in other words  just not what i am use to.  it like a debate on fly tieing vises like the dynaking barracuda versus the renztti traveler vises the further your hand get apart the more stuff screws up on the rotary functions of the vise that and using a bobbing etc.. like when doing pinch wraps etc..  i can tell you one thing one you are use to it you got to relearn how to use the stuff is the problem.  it is like reeling left hand your hole life then switching to right hand  at 40 year of age.   it hard to change and re learn every thing.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:31 AM »
I have two of the EC's and use them for walleye. the one for my left hand i changed the handle so I could reel right handed and the one for my right hand I left it so I could reel with my left hand.I find they work good on walleye so far,the biggest I've caught is 8lb.You can reel against the drag also.The only thing you have to watch for is the free spool, if not set right you will get a birds nest when spoon hits the bottom.

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:48 AM »
the problem i have with some of these reels is that you cant palm the reel or pencil grip because the side of the reel moves.  I think the bb's ec's etc are nicer , but the cheaper frabill model and the clam reel are enclosed so i can palm them......just more comfortable for me.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:56 AM »
I pencil grip my 6061's

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:09 AM »
I have noticed the stem on the eagle claw is real short so I have to watch how I hold it I wish they would have made it a little longer.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:59 PM »
I pencil grip my 6061's

You cannot pencil grip the EC. Unless you have girl hands.  :P

I have the EC reel and will be buying a 6061 next season.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:13 PM »
You cannot pencil grip the EC. Unless you have girl hands.  :P

I have the EC reel and will be buying a 6061 next season.

I do. I have to flare my ring and pinkie fingers out so they won't catch the spool though. Really a bad design IMO.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.