Author Topic: Buckshot Rattle Spoons  (Read 8775 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Buckshot Rattle Spoons
« on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Alright, I got a silly question...for those of you that have used the Northland Buckshot rattle spoons, what colors do you use for different species...at 5-6 bucks a pop, I'm trying to eliminate ones that are not as productive...any input/advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !!!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: Buckshot Rattle Spoons
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Sup topher, I target perch, crappie and bass, smallies and large. I`m a big fan of the golden perch in the 3/8-1/2 size for bass and just downsize the same color to 1/8-1/4 for the pannies. I also use silver and gold in the 1/4-3/8 size when there aren`t any perch in the water I`m fishing . I have always favored lure/bait colors that emulated existing baitfish. Wanna git bit? Look like lunch!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Kind of hard for me to narrow down a particular color that is most productive. I have had success with a variety of colors. A lot of which has had to do with the particular body of water I was fishing or the fish themselves. There have been times when I have had no luck with a particular color on a body of water, yet changed colors and did well.

I'd say try some of the more neutral colors, match the hatch type of colors, until you find what may work best, where, and when.

My best producing colors have been the silver and gold colored patterns.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:05 PM »
I don't want to narrow it down to just one color....maybe 3 to 4....I just don't have the bucks to spend on buying them all....maybe if I ask Santa.. ???

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Trust me topher, with the prices of things I wouldn't buy them all either. But you do know it will be hit or miss as to which colors may work best for the bodies of water you may fish. Kind of hard to ask such a general question on color when there are a lot of variables involved...water color/clarity at the time you are fishing it/ the food preferences of the fish in a particular body of water/ personal preferences of the angler/ confidence in a particular color.

As has been suggested, chances are you won't go wrong with the silver/gold patterns or those that emulate the colors of the predominate forage of the particular species you may be targeting. Never had much luck myself with anyother patterns. There are only nine colors to choose from...give the wheel a spin and pick some...50/50 chance.

One particular lake I fish the fish have a penchant for orange colored baits (gold). You may catch some fish on other colors, but orange(gold) will out produce 2-1.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:22 PM »
The majority of my lures are red glow for night and gold for daytime.  Those are the only two colors that I have for my Buckshot spoons.  Although the buckshot gold is orange glow on the underside.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:32 AM »
Go to your local tackle shop and see which colors they have the least amount of. They might just be the "hot" colors your looking for.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Go to your local tackle shop and see which colors they have the least amount of. They might just be the "hot" colors your looking for.

I never thought of that before...

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:42 AM »
I always check the empty slots of the lure displays. Seems each lake around here has a hot color or style and those can change from year to year or time of year.
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:26 PM »
I mostly fish for walleye with them sometimes perch, my top 4 are super glo perch, super glo chub, super glo redfish, and golden perch.  I've got about 15-20 in my arsenal in various colors and sizes.  Its the first lure I start with for walleye.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:39 PM »
i think im programmed to perch colours, when buying a new lure i always grab atleast one in pech colours. same goes for the buckshot spoon, I bet 70% of my buckshot spoons are perch coloured. I like lite pinks, and the silver/black is a good standard as well

Offline eyepod.barnes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch and release in hot grease
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:35 PM »
blue,red,green, perch
I can't wait for hell to freeze over.... so I can icefish it!!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Picked up a new red glow goldfish buckshot spoon.   Awesome!  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:53 PM »
Had to take the treble off my 1/8 golden perch spoon . The perch were smacken it so hard they would get points in the upper and lower lips. Took to long to take em off! Replaced it with a single.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:32 AM »
good idea...kinda made mine with a fropper like a Hali with a single hook

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:49 PM »
good idea...kinda made mine with a fropper like a Hali with a single hook
I used 3 split rings instead of one to hang the single hook. Works good. Ya been having luck with the Buckshot topher?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:54 PM »
it hasn't even touched the water yet...been stuck on what's working so far without much time to try new things

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Are you guys out on the ice in PA yet? I have been once on about 6-7 inches. Ponds are good, lakes not so much. Had a  group about 8 guys across the pond from me with 2 skimobiles, Saturday. Lotsa flags , caught 5 bass, one 4lber, one 3, 2 crappie and 8-10 perch, mostly dinks. Was fun dropping the Rattlespoon down to em and watching em chase it up on the vex. Caught one 13" bass on the spoon. Perch color of course.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.