Author Topic: Rod Length for Jigging  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod Length for Jigging
« on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Do you prefer a shorter or longer rod for jigging up pannies? I'm seeing rods up to 36" and I'm wondering what the advantages are. Currently I use a 24"UL and I'm thinking of picking up an 18"UL. Does rod length depend on whether you're standing or kneeling?

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: Rod Length for Jigging
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Kneeling/Standing-Inside/Outside
 I have 2 rods for the one man shack- 25" UglystikLite and a SouthBend 28" Med/Hvy depending on the target.
 I have an additional 3 rods for fishing outside the shack, hole hopping. All are over 30", because I stand until I find a productive hole . You can still fish em while kneeling or using the 5gal Bucket. Matter of personal preference I guess. I like the longer rods when ya hook into sumting good. More rod to flex and fight the fish, absorb shock etc. My favorite outside rod is 35" long.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:55 PM »
Rod length depends on how close you want to be to the hole.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2009, 02:04 PM »
I picked up a coupple 30" and 36" Ice Blue rods and I really like them. Till then I used 18"-24" rods. I liked the longer rods so much I upgraded my hut from a Scout to a Commando so I could use the longer rods inside my hut without them hitting the front or roof on the hooksets.

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2009, 02:42 PM »
Shorter rods are handy when fishing inside a shelter. Longer rods are great for hole hopping and fishing standing up.

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll pick up an 18 and a 30". The Ice Blue rods are only $10 a piece at Gander.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2009, 03:53 PM »
I had a 36" rod that I loved (Genz Stix) I broke it last season and have not been able to find one. Great rod. For the most part my rods are in the mid to upper 20" area

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I prefer rods under 28". For panfish I prefer 24" or shorter.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2009, 04:17 PM »
24-26" short enough for inside the trap but long enough for outside
Dave

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2009, 04:28 PM »
Sounds like I'd be in good shape no matter what I choose.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Just like anything else it's a personal preferance thing, try a few different sizes and see what you like.

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I had longer rods ( over 30" ) before I bought my portabld shanty. Now everything is 24". Just makes it easier with the top down.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:02 PM »
I have lengths varying from a 24" UL to 26, 27, 28, 30, 31 all in different weights...like the 24 UL and the 26 for pannies and step up the rod size and weight for different species

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Most of my fishing is done inside the shack so I prefer rods shorter than 24"  I have a few longer rods that I plan on trying to use more this winter.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2009, 01:18 AM »
24" if I'm fishing less than 15 fow.  Otherwise I will use either 28" or 32" rods for deeper water.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Use anything from 30" to 12" depending on the lures I am using, if I am running and gunning, standing/ sitting, or if I am in the portable or not.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I my area the guys use the 5 foot noodle rods with very small line and hooks when fishing outside a shelter. They also have to be extra careful hauling them because they are harder to store in the vehicle. I use a shanty so I prefer a shorter rod for inside. I have one long jigging rod that I use walking around outside the shanty.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:20 PM »
For me it's not so much of the rod length. My favorite pole is a 30 inch I think. The only reason I would ever get a short rod is for fishing inside a small shack
The action and quality of the rod is whats most important. It has to be an ultra light that doesn't act like its a spaghetti noodle.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2009, 08:46 PM »
My favorite rods get shorter every year. I like a short rod that is somewhat stiff wth a spring bobber. This year's model is a 14''. I HATE LONG RODS.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2009, 09:46 PM »
i have 2 27 inch rods one light for panfish then my medium for lakers/walleye both HT i love there rods cheap and good quality as with there tip ups but 27 inches is perfect for the porta shack or hole hopping

catch pike like its my job

Offline Richard Cr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2009, 08:30 AM »
It is as stated earlier in this post, uber light line and lots of shock absorbtion with the long pole. Last year, I landed a 29" northern on 1# test with a 5' noodle rod. It took me about 20 minutes to land it, but what a gas. Just wish I was fishing with that same rod on last ice when I had some HOG walleyes come in on my teardrops. An 18" rod with 2# just doesn't cut it >:(
Hoovering like a fly....waiting for a windshield on the freeway

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2009, 04:18 PM »
I like the longer rods because they are more forgiving.  I also use a regular 4'6" UL rod, when I'm feeling lazy and lounged back.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Last season, late ice, fishing outside of my portable I was losing 40% of my fish with a short ice rod. Whitebass and crappie, water as deep s 39 ft.) I wrapped a flat spring bobber on an ancient St.Croix fiberglass 4 ft. ultralight, put my ice spinning reel on it and my landed fish percentage went to almost 90%. I wish I could use it in the portable!

Duke M

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Last season, late ice, fishing outside of my portable I was losing 40% of my fish with a short ice rod. Whitebass and crappie, water as deep s 39 ft.) I wrapped a flat spring bobber on an ancient St.Croix fiberglass 4 ft. ultralight, put my ice spinning reel on it and my landed fish percentage went to almost 90%. I wish I could use it in the portable!

Duke M

Move your sitting position back farther in you shanty and you can use a longer rod.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:11 PM »
my longest is 45" for trout fishing. Just gives more flex and length for head shakes near the hole. For pannies I am around 26" in a hut.

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:16 PM »
i would go with the shorter ones like 20-24 inches because they are more sensitive.

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:19 PM »
28" medium light.. the one i use is from Northland tackle, dont know how readily available they are in store, i worked for northland so i got them pretty much free. I really like it, it has good backbone but a nice sensitive tip.
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Shorter rods for pan fish... less than 20".  These rods are mostly for hand-lining.  Can be a bit tricky in the wind but hand lining fish gives you an incredible feeling of how the fish is fighting you.  I use this mostly for running and gunning.  Once I have spotted a school ... I drop a couple of 28" ML rods on rod holders (if I have time). 
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline CT-iceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:54 PM »
for panfish i like 24-28inch rods, but occationally ill break out the 32inch ice blues and use that. its alot of fun to use, but i feel it overpowers the panfish. Ive landed pike and bass up to 4lbs on the 24inch rod on 2lb test..
-Christian Genarelli

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:52 PM »
I have 2- 14 inch rods for in the tent and one 32 " rod for the outside.But late ice last winter I staid with the short rods for the outside also for running and gunning.Really like being close to the hole to protect the line whip in the wind.It's easier to grab the Marc,bucket and what ever else I'm running with.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.