Author Topic: LOTW deadsticking beats jigging.  (Read 2694 times)

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
LOTW deadsticking beats jigging.
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:41 PM »
Stayed in a sleeper shack 3 days last week on LOTW. Jigging was totally unproductive, the fish would follow baits and not strike. We had dead sticks set up with a new product we found at the St. Paul Ice Show called The Finicky Fooler. This device works with a rod and reel combo and the bail is left open. It can be set ultra sensitive depending on the size bait used. The dead stick flags kept popping and was how we caught almost all of our fish. We finally gave up jigging and set up more of these "foolers". Really neat device that still allows you to reel in your fish. Beats a rattle reel, set it up at night with a blue tipz alert from Deep Freeze.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LOTW deadsticking beats jigging.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:02 PM »
I won't be up there for two weeks but will have to keep that in mind and have some rods ready to dead stick. Were you using a lure or plain hook, if both was there a difference in bites?

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Just looked up those The Finicky Fooler, looks pretty good.  Might order me one as I have had to much lucky with my jaw jacker

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:18 PM »
We were using a plain hook and hooking the minnows in the back. The fish basically tripped the flag and sat there. But we did average 50 fish per day between 2 guys on these rigs.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:23 PM »
pic of the finicky fooler

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Yeah, the jaw jacker and automatic fisherman aren't legal in MN where this device is. These Foolers sit on the floor of the shack and actually make a noise when they go off. Sort of like a mouse trap going off. Very happy with how they perform. Here is a link to a video I found on their FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/finicky.fooler/videos/vb.1673804089565272/1826447680967578/?type=2&theater

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:50 PM »
thanks for the post and video link never seen them before

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Pretty cool thanks for sharing

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Yeah, they are a pretty new product. Picked one up at St. Paul ice show and liked it so much I ordered 2 more off their website.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:47 AM »
Nice product.  I want one or two or more...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:07 AM »
If there's no snow and just ice it's sitting on it doesn't get blown around in high winds?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:37 AM »
Similar concept to the Clam Arctic Warrior. Which i like, being cheaper and more compact.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:39 AM »
I've used them on some pretty windy days with no snow on ice and had no problems. I suppose you could put a little slush down where it sits after drilling the hole for a little traction. Also don't get false flags in the wind. I do have to add a little more tension on windy days. Their web site contains helpful hints on how to adjust for the wind as well as other informational videos.

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:00 AM »
I've used the Artic Warrior. They work ok, but I did not like having to attach that pivot pin to my rod and the rod sits on the device upside down. Also used the HT Ice Rigger for years worked ok for pike, but you really had to mess around with where to locate your line in that alligator clip and the device just is not sensitive enough for walleye and panfish. Both products are a little cheaper than the FF, but I like the fact there is no hardware to attach to the rod or my line and that it's sensitive enough for perch and crappie. Not to much bigger than the AW. At the St. Paul show they had 6 in a 5 gallon bucket.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.