Author Topic: Goshen/Winsted Ponds  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Goshen/Winsted Ponds
« on: Feb 08, 2024, 06:16 PM »
Hey all, I am not looking for specifics but am looking for feedback on ice in the Goshen/Winsted area.  My son is begging me for another outing on the ice this winter and this weekend is most likely our last free one.  All the ponds in lakes here in SE CT are wide open.  We will take the 1.5 hour trip to the hill towns on Sunday but don't want to bother if we find out its over.

Has anyone been fishing the higher elevation ponds this week?  If so what are you finding for ice?  I don't need to know the pond names as I already know them and used to fish them often when I lived in the area.  I am just looking for feedback on if there is I good enough ice to walk on.  Just post if you think its worth loading up the truck this Sunday, buying more bait, have the spud bar ready and drive up to the area.  This would make a young ice fisherman very happy!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Goshen/Winsted Ponds
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:10 PM »
I think anyone would be wise to understand we are very much in check for yourself land given the recent temperatures.  Personally I would avoid the ice unless its under freezing.  My buddy went through 8" of ice in similar conditions on one of those northern ponds.    I checked ice in kent yesterday that was fishable and is now shot today.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2024, 02:45 PM »
Don’t have any info but I’d recommend going further north into the Berks.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:35 PM »
I agree with lowaccord66 with the ice getting sketchy. I just got back from the Berkshires and the ice was getting soft and the edges are getting opened up on access points. What ever you do I would check it yourself and be careful with bringing any kids out. Be safe, that’s all I can say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.