Author Topic: Mum's the word?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mum's the word?
« on: Feb 06, 2023, 10:54 AM »
I get that no one wants to advertise their spots in a season like this, but this board has been boring! I know some people got out in CT this weekend. Where's all the reports and pics? I'll get the ball rolling...
Armed with some good intel, I took the 1:40 ride to the Goshen area on Sunday with two of my daughters. We found 7-8" of good ice and they pulled in a bunch of pickerel and a few small bass. No monsters but it was great to get out for the first time this season and wet some lines. The kids had fun skating up to flags and the conditions were near perfect. It was good to scratch the itch.

Offline AllBusiness

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mum's the word?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2023, 02:09 PM »
Glad you were able to get out and get some fish for your girls! Even though I haven't drove around, I'm shocked there was that much ice. I can still put goose decoy stakes in the ground.     

Offline TheOutdoorsmanCT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Avid Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:33 PM »
I agree Global Warming! Not a lot of chatter or pics being shared. I am on this website multiple times daily now that winter is here and ice fishing season is going, not a lot of action. I enjoy seeing new threads and wish people would share more as well! Just like to see some pictures! I have been out ice fishing a lot this year in Connecticut. One Just needs to drive around, scout and locate safe ice to fish on. That being said, LOTS OF PEOPLE OUT ICE FISHING THESE LOCATIONS.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:38 PM »
I wish I had something to add, but I have not been on the ice in CT. No doubt the NW, and probably NE corner have ice. Not gonna be a year for the books though.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:46 PM »
I saw ice near me go from fishable to dangerous in just a day.  I saw a decent group on a local trout spot.  That ice will be shot by Wednesday/Thursday.  I was going to deploy tonight but the ice consistency is whack and night time is not the right time to be messing with junk ice. That said theres nothing to discuss. 

Offline NCSnowDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:57 PM »
I made it out to Dog Pond and Tyler Lake on Sunday. A handful of people were on Dog but not much going on. I got one crappie and moved to Tyler. It was nuts there with a lot of people out. I was surprised how active and aggressive the fish were considering the number of people on it but flags were going and the jigging was pretty good. Lots of crystal black ice away from the shoreline too. I just jigged, no traps. I wanted to be mobile.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:30 PM »
Its not safe anymore.

If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2023, 09:33 PM »
Finally checked off my kids’ first outing Sunday up in the hills, and they had a blast. Only found large shiners at the bait shops since we weren’t getting out for sunrise, so it was slow going on the flags. Did land a couple pickerel though and as the adage goes, big bait = big fish. Would’ve loved quantity given the kids’ first time out, but quality and perfect weather took the day during what might be our only time out this season. Hope others had an enjoyable day or two out.

Offline Otisthedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:51 AM »
A group of us got out Sunday and did quite well. Steady action all day about 10 trout (all browns), countless perch, one very large crappie, and many smelt. Ice was good but not able to take any warm days or rain as forecast. Hopefully that's not it for CT this year.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2023, 06:57 AM »
Its not safe anymore.

I checked that area last night Scott.  If it makes it to Saturday ill be surprised.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:48 PM »
Yes, mum’s the word because there’s only a few places to fish in the whole state of ct. And that’s the sad part of the way the season is going and tough to post.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2023, 08:08 PM »
I was out both nights this past weekend, under the bright moon, and the fishing was terrible. I had one perch each night.

-Eric

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2023, 09:41 AM »
I get that no one wants to advertise their spots in a season like this, but this board has been boring! I know some people got out in CT this weekend. Where's all the reports and pics? I'll get the ball rolling...
Armed with some good intel, I took the 1:40 ride to the Goshen area on Sunday with two of my daughters. We found 7-8" of good ice and they pulled in a bunch of pickerel and a few small bass. No monsters but it was great to get out for the first time this season and wet some lines. The kids had fun skating up to flags and the conditions were near perfect. It was good to scratch the itch.

Never seen it this quiet since I became an IS member “many moons ago.” Usually only happens with early ice at Bantam. Weird.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2023, 09:54 AM »
The next ice at Bantam will be the early ice🤣

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2023, 01:36 PM »
Just got off the ice in Ct, fished for a cpl hrs and was happy. Haven’t been out much this year so today was a bonus. I’ll be out again tomorrow, trust your instincts, not sure what the weather will bring but it’s not hard to figure, I never advocate safe ice but I was really comfortable on what I was standing on. If anyone wants info PM me.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2023, 03:08 PM »
The next ice at Bantam will be the early ice🤣

Bantam was fished and no one said a thing.  I LOVE that.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2023, 09:34 AM »
I got out on west twin one session, but only 4 inches or so with lots of open water.  Saw evidence of one other group having been there, but crazy to not see west freeze so poorly, it even froze better in 2016 when east didn’t freeze at all. 

East got about 70 % there in my estimation, and we walked around on it a bit but didn’t fish it.  How I used to fish, it got fishable, but this year settled for spudding around a little with the kids.

On to next open water, and least that never ended, got the boat out multiple times last month.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2023, 09:34 AM »
I got out on west twin one session, but only 4 inches or so with lots of open water.  Saw evidence of one other group having been there, but crazy to not see west freeze so poorly, it even froze better in 2016 when east didn’t freeze at all. 

East got about 70 % there in my estimation, and we walked around on it a bit but didn’t fish it.  How I used to fish, it got fishable, but this year settled for spudding around a little with the kids.

On to next open water, and least that never ended, got the boat out multiple times last month.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2023, 05:57 PM »
I hear ya Spoondangler. I only got out the one time that's mentioned in the original post. Heading to NH with the wife and kids this weekend to fish, and then I'll probably get the boat out. I guess a few days on the ice is better than nothing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.