Author Topic: livescope m18 battery conversion  (Read 3980 times)

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
livescope m18 battery conversion
« on: Dec 05, 2021, 05:07 PM »
how many of you are using an m18 battery to power your livescope combo specifically the 93/73 fishinder are you using a stepdown voltage regulator ? i bought a cheap powerwheels plug to get power from my battery but i've read some are and some are not stepping down the voltage for the finder i know you can run black box direct but really don't wanna burn up the my 93 tried doing a search found a few mentions both ways oh yeah i have oodles of m18 batteries so i'm not interested in buying a different one (2 12ah , 1 9ah and multiple 5, 4, and 3ah) plus it just makes sense to use one platform for my drill and other on ice electrics

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: livescope m18 battery conversion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:19 PM »
I believe the unit 73/93 will support up to 20v, i am not sure if the black box for the livescope is the same voltage input.

Id also check to see if there is an option to have a 12v output for whatever battery adapter you are looking to purchase, this would be a step down converter from 18V to 12V output.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2021, 05:05 AM »
Buck converters are so cheap, I would get one just for the simple fact that stepping down the voltage will increase your run time. A fully charged M18 will also put out more than 20v, so you run the risk of a voltage being above the designed specs.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2021, 09:57 AM »
Remember that an M18 Battery is closer to 23 volts when it comes out of the charger!
Nominal voltage is 20.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2021, 02:31 PM »
Buck converters are so cheap, I would get one just for the simple fact that stepping down the voltage will increase your run time. A fully charged M18 will also put out more than 20v, so you run the risk of a voltage being above the designed specs.

My total cost for the step down and a 3D printed plate for my SM 40v batteries was maybe 50 dollars. Worth every penny. I can run my garmin for days on a 40v instead of 2 days on my Noqua 10ah battery. My 40v batteries would of just stayed in my basement next to the auger so I feel better getting some use out of them.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2021, 10:29 PM »
Garmin claims 9-18V but I know a lot of guys who run them direct from m18 batteries which are 20-21v fully charged. I'm not saying you can do it, dont blame me if something ever does happen.. just saying I know well over a dozen guys who have been doing it for multiple years without issue... some even all summer long.

Now, if you want to rig up a step down they are super cheap and about as easy as can be to set up. I rigged one for my humminbird so I could run it off of a ryobi battery last year, I knocked it down to 13V and it ran like a champ all year.  Here is a link to 4 of them for 9 bucks. You just hook the leads from your battery adapter to the IN+ and IN-, and put the leads from your unit in the OUT+ and OUT-. Then turn the gold screw on the top of that blue rectangle until the output voltage is what you want (I suggest you use a multimeter to test the voltage before turning your fishfinder on. Remember to disconnect the battery when not in use. I would suggest you mount it in a small project box or something, they are not waterproof. https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adjustable-Regulator-Efficiency-Transformer/dp/B08L5VRBZS/ref=asc_df_B08L5VRBZS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475793181977&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11168419471163558616&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018656&hvtargid=pla-1130173743967&psc=1

Edit: here are the ones I used, they have a built in display and easier attachment of wires https://www.amazon.com/Valefod-Voltage-Regulator-1-5-35V-Converter/dp/B07WQJ2GD6/ref=psdc_10967761_t1_B08L5VRBZS
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2021, 12:53 PM »
And remember to check how many amps your device draws as some of these are 2 amps or less and some require a heat sink for extended use.

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2021, 05:56 PM »
So after some research I've fiquired I'm going to run 2 separate batteries , a m18 12ah for livescope black box and an m12 9ah for the 93 .I have 2 each of them for multiple days without coming of the ice and no step-down required and from.what I've read I'll need about 1.5 ah per hr running them

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2021, 03:22 PM »
So after some research I've fiquired I'm going to run 2 separate batteries , a m18 12ah for livescope black box and an m12 9ah for the 93 .I have 2 each of them for multiple days without coming of the ice and no step-down required and from.what I've read I'll need about 1.5 ah per hr running them

I find it hard to believe the 93 is drawing 1.5A. I just tested my 73UHD touch screen and at max brightness its 0.55A and at 50% brightness (inside fishing) its 0.35A. Garmin lists mine as 1.25A. This was at 13.2V on my lithium battery, and when tested at 20.5V it was basically identical.

With the m18 you probably will draw about 1-1.5A with the gls10 and lvs32, the box/ducer is absolutely fine on 20-24V.

you can test your power draws with a cheap multimeter from harbor freight or amazon, it will be close enough to get you the info you need.. Just put your black lead in the COM port and your red lead into the 10A port, turn dial to 10A setting, place one of the leads on your battery pos and the other on the pos from the units power cord, connect the negative power cord from unit straight to battery. Turn unit on and it will give you the amp draw.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2021, 05:09 PM »
You are right I do not speak from experience just research and yes I meant the black box not the 93 I meant have enough juice for a 12 plus hour day on ice for both running them separately with both batteries and not risking overvoltage on 93 thanks for info

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.