The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Auger Sharpening  (Read 1387 times)

Offline iceguy57

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger Sharpening
« on: Nov 14, 2021, 11:48 PM »
Anybody know where I can take an old hand crank curve blade frabill auger to get professionally sharpened around Bozeman? Or anywhere nearby?

Has anyone had success with sharpening by hand with one of those tools?

Long story short, I have this old 5 in diameter frabill ice auger that they don't make anymore, and it used to cut holes like butter. A few years ago I drilled through the ice into the lakebed and totally dulled the blades. It got put in the garage forever and I finally found it again today.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Auger Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:26 AM »
A picture would help ..plus I have never seen a Frabill Hand auger .

I would think a set of StrikeMaster 5" Lazers would fit..Back in the day I am pretty certain Frabill rebranded an SM auger.. purchase from a retailer with a retailer with a liberal return policy ..preferably local

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/strikemaster-lazer-hand-ice-auger-replacement-blades?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop%7CGeneric%7CAllProducts%7CHigh%7CSSCCatchAll&gclid=2c74ced7dd0f1175a958af458100acf6&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=2c74ced7dd0f1175a958af458100acf6

https://www.amazon.com/Strike-Master-Augers-Replacement-5-Inch/dp/B00030AGMO/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1OSS1OSCVR4SR&keywords=strikemaster+lazer+blades&qid=1636982375&sprefix=strikemaster+l%2Caps%2C688&sr=8-8

for sharpening

https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:35 AM »
You're speaking of the old spoon type they made years go? If so, a hand-held set of honing stones and sharpen the edge as you would any other blade....or start with a very fine mill ***** file, then finish off with the stones.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:45 AM »
frabill did make a yellow curved blade augers just put on lazer blades

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:56 AM »

Long story short, I have this old 5 in diameter frabill ice auger that they don't make anymore, and it used to cut holes like butter. A few years ago I drilled through the ice into the lakebed and totally dulled the blades. It got put in the garage forever and I finally found it again today.

As far as sharping by hand ..I dont know of any IS member who have perfected a technique or skill set that is EZPZ.

Also if your blades are wrecked most places wont even touch them
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I've never had an issue sharpening any of my blades. Most issues are caused by the abuse people give a blade. Treat them like you would a good knife, and 99% of the issues are avoided. That means sharpening or touching up after every 3-4 uses with a good Arkansas small stone, which only takes a minute or two. Do this from day one, and you won't have issues. Just like a good knife or chisel. Learn to sharpen knife blades/tools (as in wood chisels)  properly from a pro, and it can be applied to any blade. Some just make it far harder than it has to be.  ::)

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=158665.msg1552080#msg1552080

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2021, 08:54 AM »
I've never had an issue sharpening any of my blades. Most issues are caused by the abuse people give a blade. Treat them like you would a good knife, and 99% of the issues are avoided. That means sharpening or touching up after every 3-4 uses with a good Arkansas small stone, which only takes a minute or two. Do this from day one, and you won't have issues. Just like a good knife or chisel. Learn to sharpen knife blades/tools (as in wood chisels)  properly from a pro, and it can be applied to any blade. Some just make it far harder than it has to be.  ::)

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=158665.msg1552080#msg1552080

This includes Lazer/Curved blades ..thought there would be some sort of different technique on a curved blade .

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2021, 08:57 AM »
You can stone a curved blade just like a straight one. At least I have for 20+ years. Just takes a bit more skill and time. Anyone can learn to do it.

Offline iceguy57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2021, 09:58 PM »
Update: Big thanks to hardwater diehard for the Fish307 recommendation! And thanks to the rest of you for the great advice too! I ended up looking into it, and sending in the auger blades to Fish307 was only like $16, so I figured it was worth a shot. NO hassle, you just print out a page with some basic info and mail a check and the blades and then they send them back 2 weeks later freshly sharpened. Haven't tried them out yet, but hoping to get out over Christmas break, so I'll try and test them out then.

Tight Lines!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2021, 11:46 AM »
Years ago, I sharpened an old set of 8” Mora blades after drilling into a submerged tree.  I used a whetstone and carefully took my time to maintain the factory angle.  That is crucial.  Get that wrong and you may as well throw them away and buy another set.  It only took me three hours to do both blades.  They were never as good as brand new again, but they worked pretty well after that, considering they wouldn’t do anything but dance around on top of the ice before. 

Offline Petoskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Anybody know where I can take an old hand crank curve blade frabill auger to get professionally sharpened around Bozeman? Or anywhere nearby?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
If you happen to be in Helena anytime soon there’s a guy in the parking lot of Capital Sports that can sharpen your blades. Randy’s Sharpen-All. He works out of an old U-Haul truck.
Fern got sick in ‘94 and missed 6 weeks on the hardwater with mono, don’t know what that means but I’ve used braid ever since

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger Sharpening - Vintage Spoon Auger Sharpening
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2021, 09:43 AM »
Look what I found!
Go to search: Type In- Vintage Hand Held Ice Auger Spoon Sweden Snabb-ebay
on site- click on first photo of 6" Snabb Auger in package. ($39.95)
On next page- go down to 3rd row of photos and click on photo of vintage Aug Eze Auger Sharpener.  $5.95.
I had one for years and with a little time can put edge back on spoon auger!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2021, 09:27 AM »
I just sharpened my Mora blades by watching some different Youtube videos. Now all I need is some ice to find out if it worked.

Ken.......

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2021, 10:10 AM »

I use to sharpen my mora blades with a fine stone
If you have room freeze a small pale of water , it’s not like you need a lot 
, just a thought

Offline Smithwick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2021, 09:15 PM »
Has anyone used the guy in helena, I might check him out and report back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.