New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Noise on the water  (Read 5788 times)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Noise on the water
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Very aptly put, wellsy.  If I want noise around my sets, I'll be the one to make it, myself I prefer almost silence, I try in most cases to set up far and away from anybody else, unless I'm fishing with the crew and then we stand back a distance fomr the tipups and do our talking there, some of them have wheelers and they don't act stupid on them.

I don't care if they want to drive through their own tipups but stay away from mine...maybe they'll drive the fish my way as a bonus......
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:28 PM »
I'm tired of snowmobiles ripping through my tip up sets, music being blared, bbq parties, dogs barking. Solidarity! Where is Lech Velenza when we need him!
No more noise!
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Way I see it is everybody has a right to be on the lake.
But if they choose not to respect me, I sure as **** am not going to give them an inch back.
If there is a benefit to noise around the hole, I would prefer it come from me and not somebody flyin by my rigs. I was on eaton the day Iceenut0 mentioned in this thread, and it is a little depressing to see the same machine drive by you and your rigs over and over and over agian, from 7am - 2pm.
But whatever we do outdoors,spring, summer, fall, and "winter", recreational vehichles will always present a problem to outdoorsman.
It is up to the individual to decide when and how it is appropriate to stand his(or her) ground and tell the sob to take a hike!!!

Tight lines to all,
Wellsy

The ATV and snowmobile crowd mostly don't care if they catch any fish because they are tearing around on their toy. If they don't care about their own fishing success, they certainly do not care about anyone else's fishing success either. It makes a huge difference with bigger game fish. My biggest pike have all been put on the ice when I was the only person around and there was no talking let alone ATV or snowmobile noise.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Ascott3006

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:25 PM »
The ATV and snowmobile crowd mostly don't care if they catch any fish because they are tearing around on their toy. If they don't care about their own fishing success, they certainly do not care about anyone else's fishing success either. It makes a huge difference with bigger game fish. My biggest pike have all been put on the ice when I was the only person around and there was no talking let alone ATV or snowmobile noise.

X2 its like the folks who ride to a treestand or blind in my eyes it kind of defeats the purpose lol

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:32 PM »
Yes! Finally someone with some common sense to speak his mind! Thanks

quote author=WARRIOR_ON_ICE link=topic=32804.msg4225584#msg4225584 date=1642556964]
[/quote]
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

Offline allfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:39 PM »
I fished a medium sized pond and a guy was riding his snow mobile all around us.seemed like every time he was going by we would get hits.but it was thick ice.that might make a difference .
Fish  till it hurts

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:17 AM »
I can't speak for the fish but I personally don't like racket. Joyriding close to people fishing is just rude. Those 2 stroke rattletraps they race on Honeoye and Irondequoit are a terrible annoyance. Thankfully I am rapidly approaching retirement so then I too can pursue my fishing during the more quiet times. In the words of Jeremiah Johnson: "Nothing wrong with quiet".
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2022, 06:53 AM »
day  before i killed the  northerns  so i  went back the  next day ,i went out  cut all my  holes   droped the tip ups  a  quarter   fell out of my pocket  hit the ice ...never got a flag up  then i realized  i forgot to  bait the rigs ....i wondered  if that could have  had something to do with it ....

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:54 AM »
I understand using a act utv snowmobile for transportation while out ice fishing it's not a all day thing but I refuse to fish lakes that let people race on if I wanted to hear that I'd go to the races

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:52 PM »
I had a steady but not great, bluegill bite going on this past sunday. All was going well for an hour or so and then I was surrounded by five numb skulls who did not know how close too close was.  Constant drilling, walking to and fro, and dragging sleds along on crystal clear ice as I sat in my pop up gritting my teeth.  The bite stopped the whole time this went on. They finally moved on as they were catching nothing.  a half hour later the fish started biting again.
      Too much noise is too much noise

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2022, 03:58 AM »
I personally do 90% of my fishing on the weekends , when it is packed with motorized vehicles. During the week when school is in session there is alot of quiet time. So how do you fortunate guys who fish during the week do compared to weekends?
I’ve found I consistently do better during the week then on weekends.
I have also found that the type of machine matters too. I haven’t seen as much issue with a snowmobile or snow dog as a wheeler or sxs
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:35 PM »
Absolutely better fishing during the week when there is less noise.  Especially with new ice which is clear and only a few inches deep. A good snow cover helps a lot in my opinion.  I will actually set up on a small patch of snow cover to lessen noise and Prevents fish from seeing movement.
  We've all seen fish scatter when walking out on a boat dock right? Same thing. Now put ice cleats on everyones feet and a noisy sled to pull along and we put the fear of god into every fish down there.  Sit tite for a while with no noise and watch the fish come back to life and start foraging again.
                                      Just my 2 cents

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2022, 02:06 PM »
I feel like it is dependent on the species and on their mood each day/hour/minute.  Sometimes, even in 20+ FOW, just the crunch of your knees on the ice will freak crappies out and send them away.  I've seen the same with bluegills.  However, I've been perch fishing and when someone came cruising up on their ATV to chat, suddenly fish appeared and were hot to trot to my bait.

I can't speak on trout or pike as there really aren't any around where I am.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:40 PM »
Absolutely better fishing during the week when there is less noise.  Especially with new ice which is clear and only a few inches deep. A good snow cover helps a lot in my opinion.  I will actually set up on a small patch of snow cover to lessen noise and Prevents fish from seeing movement.
  We've all seen fish scatter when walking out on a boat dock right? Same thing. Now put ice cleats on everyones feet and a noisy sled to pull along and we put the fear of god into every fish down there.  Sit tite for a while with no noise and watch the fish come back to life and start foraging again.
                                      Just my 2 cents

No, not just your 2 cents - every word of it is true. You nailed it and the snow patches are definitely better to set up on rather than bare ice. Good post !
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:53 PM »
So with shallow water walleyes ive scraped my cleat on the ice and spooked fish.... That said i play music on my phone and they eyes seem to bite decent when nugent is on lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:58 PM »
Interesting enough, we sometimes put a "drive" on for pike. In the shallow water, we've found you can actually push the fish around by walking laps around the far perimeter of your tip-up spread.
I have observed the exact same thing with shallow water bass.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2022, 06:17 PM »
I'm tired of snowmobiles ripping through my tip up sets, music being blared, bbq parties, dogs barking. Solidarity! Where is Lech Velenza when we need him!
No more noise!
http:// ils to comply with a lawful order from a police officer 11. on a frozen body of water within one hundred feet of a skater,
ice fisherman, ice fishing house, or other person not on a snowmobile except at the minimum speed required to maintain forward motion

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:40 AM »
I usually find these things work both ways. I live on a small lake with a snowmobile trail from one end to the other. Ive been here 20 years and 98% of the sleds stay on the trail. So we have been lucky. What cracks me up is fisherman constantly set up next to the trail and complain how fast the sleds are going  :o . What makes me laugh even more is the good spots are no where near the trail! Apparently they just like the easy walk. I guess it is like driving by the state land and seeing the great pumpkins standing 50 yards in, in a line the length of the road 😀.

I guess I just figure everyone is going to do their thing. 98% are great, 1% have no clue, and 1% are just jackwagons!

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:34 PM »
Lol, that plane is a pain in the azz for everyone!

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:38 PM »
and keep the dogs at home. tired of their barking and eating my tip ups.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:46 PM »
and keep the dogs at home. tired of their barking and eating my tip ups.
My buddy used to bring his dog.... One day we were pike fishing a hotspot and i looked down and there was like 4 or 5 gillls on the ice.... I looked at my buddy and asked when he started gill fishing..... Eight about that time a guy walked up and told us my buddys dog had been stealing his fish lmao..... Was pretty funny
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2022, 05:56 PM »
I usually find these things work both ways. I live on a small lake with a snowmobile trail from one end to the other. Ive been here 20 years and 98% of the sleds stay on the trail. So we have been lucky. What cracks me up is fisherman constantly set up next to the trail and complain how fast the sleds are going  :o . What makes me laugh even more is the good spots are no where near the trail! Apparently they just like the easy walk. I guess it is like driving by the state land and seeing the great pumpkins standing 50 yards in, in a line the length of the road 😀.

I guess I just figure everyone is going to do their thing. 98% are great, 1% have no clue, and 1% are just jackwagons!
Hey fluke,
I think you're percentages of "jackwagons" may be a little bit the low side. 

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2022, 06:17 PM »
Lol, trying to be nice 😀

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.