Author Topic: Winona lake  (Read 3057 times)

Offline stonecold16

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Winona lake
« on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:25 AM »
I am not familiar with this lake can anybody give me some details on this.  Jimmy I would love to get to go this year.  Hopefully I am off especially since I got rid of my ball and chain.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winona lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:58 AM »
Winona looks like it is the Lake we will be fishing at,its almost a 4 hour drive for me,so some of you northern guys need to start thinking about this,Im sure Ill drag my share of members up there with me,I got some Indianapolis guys who know whats going on who cant wait,as a matter of fact they are at Summit waiting on me as I type this,if you're interested in fishing this,leave you're post saying so,we're just looking for a few good fishermen is all,
                                     Jimmy Lang

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2006, 10:36 AM »
It is a 2 1/2 hour drive from the north side of Indy via the interstate.  The lake sits in the city limits of Warsaw.  Not to far off of SR 15.  It sports walleye and perch, although the perch are difficult to get.  Any one wanting to get directions PM me.

Offline FXjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2006, 01:36 PM »
The problem is there is no easy way to get to Warsaw. In steuben County you could be to dozens of lakes within 10 minutes of
getting off I-69.
Warsaw is 72 miles and an hour and a half  from Angola due to no easy way to get there.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Warsaw is only 30 minutes off of I-69.  The speed limit on U.S. 30 from Ft. Wayne to Warsaw is 60 mph.  But if I was coming from Angola I think I would cut off of I-69 at Auburn and bring SR 205 to Columbia City and hit U.S. 30.  And by the way it was Indiana Info's pick not Ice Shanty's.  Any problems, take it up with the selection committee!!!!! ;D

Offline FXjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Warsaw is only 30 minutes off of I-69.  The speed limit on U.S. 30 from Ft. Wayne to Warsaw is 60 mph.  But if I was coming from Angola I think I would cut off of I-69 at Auburn and bring SR 205 to Columbia City and hit U.S. 30.  And by the way it was Indiana Info's pick not Ice Shanty's.  Any problems, take it up with the selection committee!!!!! ;D

No problems with it, but does it have many fish in it?
30 is OK, but you have to go through Columbia City, Larwill, and then Warsaw. Lots of stopping.
Do not speed through Warsaw.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2006, 04:19 PM »
It is a good fishing lake.  And you left one stoplight off of there, Pierceton.  I can make it from my house to I-69 in twenty minutes on a good day.  And I am 6 miles from Winona Lake.  Next year you can pick!!!!!!!!

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Any problems, take it up with the selection committee!!!!! ;D
LOL

If I'm not mistaken "the selection committee" WAS Rico , since it was laid in his lap to select a site but I wont hold it against him. It's pretty much a central location in the northern part of the state where hopefully we'll get first ice.

Warsaw is almost 2 hr drive for me, but i'll be there if i can get away from work.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2006, 02:15 PM »
LMAO....Take heart John, it could have been down by Indy!  And those choices werent right off of the interstate either.  Thanks there Turkey.  Gee all the headaches I got from my own team members, the last thing I need is for the opposition to start questioning the decision!!!!!  But I understand...everybody wants it in their backyard.  And I know that travel time is an issue.  And I am no different.  I just picked one that I thought would be best for my site and would get the best turnout.  Like I said if things go right...you can pick the lake next year!

Offline sammy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2006, 03:07 PM »
 Maybe this will help everyone:

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:46 PM »
LOL

since it was laid in his lap to select a site but I wont hold it against him

Rico , i think you might have missed this line   LOL

Sam , thanx for the map  :)

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Yea, I suppose you wanted it in NW Indiana?   ;D

Offline smoker9000

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can't wait for good ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2006, 05:27 PM »
I don't live too far from there, I'd like to fish it with you guys. When's it goin down?
Tip Ups*
Jiggin Poles*
Sled*
Bucket*
Ice...
 Wheres the ICE!!!!!!

Offline sammy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2006, 06:02 PM »
  This is planned for Febuary 4th.  That is Superbowl Sunday. We'll post more about it soon.

Offline smoker9000

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can't wait for good ice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2006, 07:42 PM »
cool, can't wait :tipup:
Tip Ups*
Jiggin Poles*
Sled*
Bucket*
Ice...
 Wheres the ICE!!!!!!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:22 AM »
We better have some extreme cold temps to freeze that main lake up, looks pretty deep.  Might be stuck fishing the small lake.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Last year when Pike Lake had 8"-9" of ice,Winona only had 3"-4",its got several springs in it  Ive heard,I got 3 buddys that live right there in Warsaw,and they are leary of the ice there,I looked back in previous posts and couldnt find where anyone fishes Winona thru the ice,its got me wondering now,anyway...........................GO COLTS................. ..

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2006, 04:46 PM »
8-9'' of ice on New Years?  We had heavy snowfall last year when we should have been making some ice.  Got 10" just before x-mas.  The honey hole had a max of 6 on it.  I was fishing up at Ligonier New Year's day.  There was only 5 inches.  And it was shaky to say the least.  But just maybe we are counting on you guys to fall in, so we can catch all the fish!!!!!!!!! :P

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2006, 08:13 PM »
I hope to be there ,70 to 80 mile drive for me from NW IN. I vote for BASS LAKE next year.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2006, 10:00 PM »
If things go right your vote will count next year!!!!

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2006, 11:08 AM »
I used to work in Warsaw,and I fished winona quite a bit after work when there was good ice.I never chased after the walleye,but when you can find where the gills,crappie and bass are hanging out,let me tell you there are some really nice specimens in this lake. the far southwest part is a good place to start. we need a very good and extremely cold winter to ice this lake over.Just my Thoughts and hoping for a big change in the weather. Come on Ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.