Author Topic: When to throw in the towel…  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
When to throw in the towel…
« on: Jan 23, 2024, 12:10 PM »
Not enough experience here to know when ice isnt even worth the drive to inspect.

In searching i came across this link here on the boards. http://lakeice.squarespace.com/thawed-ice/
Good info for these times we are going through.

I am in between missy and summit. Never been on missy, but I know with the current its not a place I want to go.

Sunday there was 6 inches of ice on summit. Would it be worth checking with a spud tomorrow in hopes of one last go, or will the ice rot this fast with rain and temp’s?   Thanks

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
Re: When to throw in the towel…
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2024, 12:14 PM »
Good black Ice will last longer.
Depends on how much snow is sitting on the Ice. wind and rain won't help.
forecast looks like light and variable winds.

That's why I asked for Ice and or snowfall reports, I will be out but prefer to see
for myself what the conditions are.
spud spud spud.

Coop
Coopason

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2024, 12:29 PM »
The ice formed up hard and fast into good clear consistent ice.  I would still think this week is worth checking out lakes... being careful of course.  If you have the time it's always a good exercise to go check.  I have surprised myself more then once going out early or late ice what I have found when I drove to the lake and starting checking it out.  The farther north your willing to drive the better the odds of finding good ice. 

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2024, 01:39 PM »
Air temps aren't near as hard on ice as Wind and water and even worse when there's wind water and bright sunshine. That sun eats away shore ice fast. So far we haven't had the wind or a lot of rain. Temps are just above freezing. With a blanket of snow soaking the moisture you shouldn't have issue tomorrow. When all this wetness finally does penetrate to the ice then it can deteriorate fast. I'm hoping it makes it thru the weekend. Temps aren't coming down much over the next few days and there's a chance of rain so we'll see. At least no wind is predicted.

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2024, 01:44 PM »
Thanks guys. Good luck if you get back out. Stay safe!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:58 AM »
I really hate to say this but I think it's time for me to throw in the towel. With last nights rain, heavy at times and af10 and even a 15 day forecast that doesn't show real ice making temps I think the ice equipment will be put up for another season. I only made it out one day this winter. It went from bitter cold to warm wet and rainy. I'll keep my fingers crossed but it sure doesn't look good.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2024, 06:03 AM »
I'm gonna try again today, but I give it about 50/50 on the edges being shot. They were already starting to soften yesterday, then we got a bunch more rain last night into this morning.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2024, 06:24 AM »
We hit a pond for last hour of light last night. GF was kind terrified on the standing water on the ice..lol. I spudded out and still had 7 inches. Top bit was soft on spud but decided to pop a few holes. Got a few gills and fish were fired up. Of it wasn't raining hard I'd prob try again today but prob gonna call it. Maybe if I pack up all my gear we will get another cold front 🤣
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2024, 06:43 AM »
I put away the fish house and my good gear last night and threw the walking bucket in the car. It just has a couple super cheapo rods, a cheap plastic scoop, and a box with a handful of jigs in it.

I always just bring that out for the warm weather late ice... if it ends up at the bottom of a pond I'm only out 30-40 bucks.  :woot:

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2024, 07:03 AM »
I put away the fish house and my good gear last night and threw the walking bucket in the car. It just has a couple super cheapo rods, a cheap plastic scoop, and a box with a handful of jigs in it.

I always just bring that out for the warm weather late ice... if it ends up at the bottom of a pond I'm only out 30-40 bucks.  :woot:

Makes sense. Thats what I was thinking with the one bucket scenario.  With all the water laying on top and it still getting warmer, I think Ill just pass. If it was 10 mins down the road I would go.  I really need a boat so I could fish more!!!

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2024, 07:06 AM »
We hit a pond for last hour of light last night. GF was kind terrified on the standing water on the ice..lol. I spudded out and still had 7 inches. Top bit was soft on spud but decided to pop a few holes. Got a few gills and fish were fired up. Of it wasn't raining hard I'd prob try again today but prob gonna call it. Maybe if I pack up all my gear we will get another cold front 🤣

Ill pack my stuff away for a rally on the ice to return with you!

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2024, 07:31 PM »
Bite wasn't terrible today on the pond I fished today. The sheet had only thinned about an inch to 7" but the edges were just about toast.

I punched through with one whack of the chisel around a pretty good chunk of shoreline before I found a solid spot to walk out.

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:50 PM »
Bite wasn't terrible today on the pond I fished today. The sheet had only thinned about an inch to 7" but the edges were just about toast.

I punched through with one whack of the chisel around a pretty good chunk of shoreline before I found a solid spot to walk out.

Did you wear a float suit or pfd while checking?

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2024, 03:54 PM »
No. If I was that scared of stepping into waist deep water on a 40° day I'd find a new hobby ;)2

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:52 PM »
No. If I was that scared of stepping into waist deep water on a 40° day I'd find a new hobby ;)2

When you said “before you walked out” I thought you meant you where walking out to a lake or something.

Im not scared of falling in, its the falling back out that makes me nervous. Soaked pants and boots full of water, I dont think im getting out if I cant touch bottom.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:09 PM »
I always poke along the whole way. I just had to find a good solid spot to get out from the bank without stepping through.

I went on the same pond today after work. About 1/3 of the shoreline had a few feet of open water, but the ice was still 6" once I got away from the bank. On the upside, I didn't have to cut any holes, since the ones I punched yesterday were still open :roflmao:

I really didn't figure I'd find a way on today... was kind of surprised. The fishing was slow, so I went home after about an hour and a few dink gills.

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2024, 04:57 AM »
I always poke along the whole way. I just had to find a good solid spot to get out from the bank without stepping through.

I went on the same pond today after work. About 1/3 of the shoreline had a few feet of open water, but the ice was still 6" once I got away from the bank. On the upside, I didn't have to cut any holes, since the ones I punched yesterday were still open :roflmao:

I really didn't figure I'd find a way on today... was kind of surprised. The fishing was slow, so I went home after about an hour and a few dink gills.

Nice!  Sounds like they got lazy with the warm up.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2024, 07:56 AM »
Unfortunately, it looks like another ice season had come and gone without my attendance. Maybe next year, I will be able to fish a bit. Anyway, in another month the crappie will be biting.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2024, 08:06 AM »
Unfortunately, it looks like another ice season had come and gone without my attendance. Maybe next year, I will be able to fish a bit. Anyway, in another month the crappie will be biting.

I only got out 7 days... back to back crappy seasons.  :-\

I left the stuff in the car for today, just in case, but I don't think I'll be able to find a walk on spot anywhere this afternoon.

*added Saturday 1/27*

I made it out yesterday, but the ice was shot... got my feet wet getting on and off. 5" of soft, drained garbage ice with open water almost all the way around the shore.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2024, 07:54 PM »
Don't throw in the towel. One might need it to dry off if they keep fishing with the degrading ice conditions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.