Author Topic: Hard to beat bluegill  (Read 2437 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hard to beat bluegill
« on: Feb 21, 2020, 12:23 AM »
I find it hard to beat breaded and fried bluegill!  Maybe I'll change my mind one day.  I guess if I was on a Canadian lake with easy access to perch and walleye it might be different.  I still prefer the taste and texture of a bluegill over the other two.  I ate a lot of all three growing up.  Perch and walleye in Ontario fried in half flour and half cornmeal and gills back home in Indiana.   Give me some bluegills!!!!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hard to beat bluegill
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2020, 02:22 AM »
I like Gills also! But walleye and perch are my favorite. But really can't shake a stick at any of the three. I've never had burbot but heard they were good also! Later Hex

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:13 AM »
Looks a lot like the fish I had for supper with fried taters. I agree small blue gill fried just right cant be beat. I try not to over fry so they stay flaky. Larger fillets I will fry alittle harder to get some crunch on the edges. I know perch are excellent but that's a fish I cant find in good enough numbers to make up a meal.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:23 AM »
I agree... fried gills are one of my favorites as well.  I do enjoy walleye and perch, and have came up with a number of good recipes for all of them.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2020, 07:09 AM »
they are rite up there for sure.  I love all fish, so I cant really say I have a stand out favorite.  gills are very unique though.  by that I mean you know what your eating. 

two other fish, in top of the list, unfortunately aren't ones you want to eat a lot of.  they are sucker and flathead.  everyone I ever seen try either one for first time were pleasantly shocked. sucker season is coming up too.  :P  try it this spring if you never have!  lots of fun to catch also.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2020, 07:29 AM »
Absolutely, you can't beat a fresh gill. they are almost sweet tasting. Why in the world do some people say that crappie is good? Can't figure that out. I would put fresh pike second because of the texture and a mild fishy taste.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2020, 07:44 AM »
I find it hard to beat breaded and fried bluegill!  Maybe I'll change my mind one day.  I guess if I was on a Canadian lake with easy access to perch and walleye it might be different.  I still prefer the taste and texture of a bluegill over the other two.  I ate a lot of all three growing up.  Perch and walleye in Ontario fried in half flour and half cornmeal and gills back home in Indiana.   Give me some bluegills!!!!

I do fly-in every year to Ontario. We have never caught perch, but the walleye AND pike are most excellent...but your blue gills are right up there with the best! Living near lake Erie I've eaten walleye most of my life and they dont hold a candle to the Canada eyes! Hard to imagine such a difference.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:16 AM »
Just fried up a big batch of perch (from Erie) and bluegill from Da UP and those that wolfed them down were about equally divided as to which they liked best! Either way, there was none left!
A box of regular saltine crackers in blender, ground to a powder. Beat a couple  of eggs, add half milk and half 7- UP. Dip in cracker meal, egg and milk, back in cracker meal, Place in refrigerator, or freezer depending on how much time before cooking. Use Granpappy or large propane cooker depending on size of crowd.
Many compliments!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:37 AM »
I agree on the flatheads. If your looking for a larger cut of fish that still has a great taste you cant go wrong.

Offline icehole219

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2020, 10:31 AM »
Had some “wild caught “ Gill for lunch from a local restaurant yesterday.  Not sure if they meant blue cat.  Sure didn’t taste like any Gill I have eaten and I have cleaned thousands  >:(

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2020, 01:02 PM »
you gota watch what you get served.  could be some big old nasty ones your not supposed to even be eating!

years ago, over in Lafayette, there was a bar selling catfish by the truckloads.  my brother inlaw said the were netting big catfish from the Wabash. he said it was great tasting but his throat started to get sore after few months of eating it. nasty!  some people will do anything for the almighty dollar.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2020, 01:05 PM »
Luckily the wife dosn't eat fish so I still have some summer left overs to eat. Not as good as fresh caught winter gills but still tasty.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.