Author Topic: MIchigan access  (Read 7984 times)

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
MIchigan access
« on: Feb 18, 2020, 09:45 AM »
I know its the Indiana board but my question is this. anyone know with the new law going into effect in Michigan, if it pertains to ice fishing parking?  Basicially if you use ANY DNR site in michigan you need to have the parking pass.  I know launching a boat, but what about ice fishing??  It use to be only at the big lakes but now its everywhere.  Those close border lakes that have ice is the question.
And while on it....
Indiana should pass a reciprocal law for non residents.  if Michigan charges out of state guys 76.00 and launch fees then we should charge the same.  Northern lakes in the spring host a ton of Michigan tourneys as their seasons are closed.  we pay an arm and a leg for our boat tags, yet they pay less, no parking fees, reduced licence costs...what a deal...
ok i am done with that rant.
anyone heard about parking?
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Daybreak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: MIchigan access
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2020, 09:52 AM »
I am out of the loop on your original question, can't help you on that.  I do agree, if we need to have a sticker in our window to launch a boat and park a trailer in their launch areas, any out of state license plates using our ramps that are built and maintained by the IDNR should need a sticker in their windows too.

Offline 1james11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2020, 09:58 AM »
You need the pass to even go into a michigan ramp that includes parking... as far as Indiana increasing the price to fish for non resident, good luck. Indiana doesnt offer nearly as good of fishing as michigan does.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Its not about the fishing, its about access.  And even our suckie bass fishing is better than no bass tournaments  April and May and most of June.. guess something is better than nothing!
but hey we have nice ramps AND YOU CAN POWERLOAD!!!! lol
and my guess would that would be the case. just dont need a parking ticket on top of the other 110.00 it takes to fish there.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:19 AM »
I was told by a couple bait shops that you need them.  That being said I have fish one ramp this winter without one.  Have only seen 1 vehicle with a permit.  Usually 10 or so trucks in the lot.
 Never ran into a CO.  Heard that some have ran into them and had to pay the fee but no penalty.
Kinda expensive to fish MI compared to other states but if you want to play you have to pay!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:20 AM »
I was told by a couple bait shops that you need them.  That being said I have fish one ramp this winter without one.  Have only seen 1 vehicle with a permit.  Usually 10 or so trucks in the lot.
 Never ran into a CO.  Heard that some have ran into them and had to pay the fee but no penalty.
Kinda expensive to fish MI compared to other states but if you want to play you have to pay!

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:30 AM »
Yes, you need the recreational passport sticker to ice fish lakes that have the sign at the accesses. It is 13.00 for non-resident unless they upped it already which wouldn't surprise me.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2020, 10:33 AM »
non res 34.00 seasonal
or
9.00/day pass
and i believe the new law is ALL lakes with a DNR site, even the little lakes not previously required by sign

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:04 AM »
Good to know about the parking pass. I did not even think about having to pay to access a lake. I have been up in Michigan once this winter and paid $10.00 a day for the non-res temp fishing license. Now you are telling me that I have to pay an additional $9 per day for parking. **censored** - That is just stupid ridiculous. Oh, and don't forget the $1 for the DNR Sportsman's card. If that is truly the case for the parking, I won't be going to Michigan.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2020, 11:12 AM »
ive been searching for answers and even a michigan board i frequent isnt really sure if its just posted ones or all....internets not been a big help as i see some say all and others still just some....but more....????
ill still pay, ill still go....but it just seems getting a bit outta hand.  thats all.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:12 PM »
I tried looking around a little and couldn't figure it out either.  I was told if there's parking then you need one, even if you stop to walk a dog or use the porta john!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2020, 05:55 AM »
I have always seen michigan as a joke, with its encyclopedia of regs.  it keeps getting funnier. 
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2020, 07:31 AM »
Follow up on the Recreational Passport

Based upon the "no ticket" statement and with it being consistent with what I heard about other encounters in the field I won't be buying one to ice fish but it really doesn't matter because I will most likely be launching my boat from MI to get on the big lakes and will need one anyway.

The other thing I had heard conflicting information on was weather you needed a MI license to fish the border lakes and based upon what I read if you are fishing the part of the lake across the MI border then you need a non resident license.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2020, 08:46 AM »
If your willing to put in the work to find quality fishing Indiana is very good when you compare what it costs to fish. Instead of going to MI or any other state say for two or three days put the same amount of effort into lakes with out the expense and other issues. Just getting away is sometimes reason enough to cross state lines but I've always enjoyed the challenge finding the good ones. I'm still looking for that good Walleye and Perch lake. I've got good river eyes. I'm think I'm getting closer on the lakes. 

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Follow up on the Recreational Passport

Based upon the "no ticket" statement and with it being consistent with what I heard about other encounters in the field I won't be buying one to ice fish but it really doesn't matter because I will most likely be launching my boat from MI to get on the big lakes and will need one anyway.

The other thing I had heard conflicting information on was weather you needed a MI license to fish the border lakes and based upon what I read if you are fishing the part of the lake across the MI border then you need a non resident license.
         I've heard different on the border lakes. You need a license to fish, you can fish into the Mi. water with an In. license but you must follow Mi. rules and regs. But don't quote me on this. ;D

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2020, 09:38 AM »
Indiana doesnt offer nearly as good of fishing as michigan does.
It may be species specific but I disagree.
Of course Michigan has the big blue waters on both sides but if you compare inland lakes, Indiana can hold its own.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Daybreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:12 AM »
If your willing to put in the work to find quality fishing Indiana is very good when you compare what it costs to fish. Instead of going to MI or any other state say for two or three days put the same amount of effort into lakes with out the expense and other issues. Just getting away is sometimes reason enough to cross state lines but I've always enjoyed the challenge finding the good ones. I'm still looking for that good Walleye and Perch lake. I've got good river eyes. I'm think I'm getting closer on the lakes.
I agree with you on this.  I have traveled all over the Midwest to fish and just get away.  But putting in the time on my weekend trips here in Indiana has always been pretty good.  I have thought if I ever stayed and fished a good Indiana lake for a week like we do in Michigan, Wisconsin Or Minnesota, I am sure I would be more than pleased with the results.  Plus, I would be helping our state with the financial expenditures.  Don't get me wrong, I will still spend some money and time in other states, but mostly because I love to see other areas and learn new waters.

Offline 1james11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:16 AM »
If it weren't for the salmon, or the walleye I wouldn't buy the Michigan license. Correct, indiana can hold its own in regards to panfish, bass and such. Not so much on the walleye populations and the salmon... even though the salmon haven't been the same since they upped the Michigan license. I also believe Michigan takes much better care of their ramps.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2020, 10:33 AM »
From page 26 of the MI regs:

"MICHIGAN-INDIANA BORDER LAKES
Residents of Indiana or Michigan may fish the whole lake, but must abide by the regulations in the waters
they are fishing. Non-resident license holders (for either state) may only fish in the waters under which
the jurisdiction applies for that non-resident license. Non-residents would need Indiana and Michigan
non-resident licenses to fish both sides.
Clear Lake - Indiana, St. Joseph Co./South Clear Lake - Michigan, Berrien Co., Indiana Lake - Indiana,"

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2020, 04:03 AM »
never had a problem at George with this. that will suck if you need sticker to launch there!  should be special regs for border lake launches.  Indiana should have our backs on it too.

OANN the real story

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:25 AM »
As I'm understanding it you need both a sticker to park in the lot and a non resident license to fish water on that side of the state line.

Offline 1james11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:27 AM »
As I'm understanding it you need both a sticker to park in the lot and a non resident license to fish water on that side of the state line.

Thats for guys like me from ohio or another state, I have to have both michigan and indiana. Indiana or michigan residents can fish the whole lake but must follow the rules from which state the launch is located.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:51 AM »
https://michianaoutdoorsnews.com/columnists/louie-s-column/2678-ante-up-if-you-re-boating-in-michigan
and being so far north you wouldnt have any reason to come here but there are a ton of people who live closer around the border that love our no closed seasons, spring time weekends are full of michigan tourneys (dukes bridge, clear, dewart,) liberal limits, if any.  its simply we make it easy and affordable for people to fish, its recruitment of new folks and families.  its about making access easy and affordable...thats all!
i guess the question ......at all lakes now? i talked to a MI co and he just said "im not exactly sure myself at the moment" lol

Offline icehole219

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Supporting the future of our natural resources shouldn’t be such a sore subject for outdoorsmen. I can understand if money is tight, but stay close to home then. The non res Rec Passport I buy every year works out to be about $3 a month to use state parks and such for hiking camping fishing ect in a beautiful state. I feel ok with doing my part, let’s all do what we can to keep our country beautiful

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2020, 12:19 PM »
And, I curse every time I get a new fishing or hunting guidebook.  It is getting ridiculous, especially for someone who is 62 and use to have to read a guide that was basically two pages long,  trying to figure out what laws pertain to who, what is legal and what isn't.  In fact, it is getting to where the DNR officers can't figure out what.
Here in the states I fish  people complain about our regulations, and we have one or two closed seasons! And really very few special regs for not that many lakes! Feel your pain!
Keep, it safe! JDL

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:38 PM »
hear there is a sign posted at George ramp.  most of that lake is in Indiana too. bunch of   there goes another of my spring fishing hotspots.

OANN the real story

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:18 PM »
Don't get me started on Michigan and their money grubbing ways! Long story short, I purchase a cabin and ten acres the next year the state doubles the nonresident hunting and fishing license. They charge me taxes like I'm a resident for schools,DNR,police,road maintenance,welfare,ect. But I still have to pay for nonresident fees for hunting and fishing, which is BS if you ask me. Then to add insult to injury, they charge you to park at their access sites. Oh and the Feds get a piece of the action at their   Access sites also! Might be time to list the place? And to reply to Snitch #8's coment about " no other state I'd rather fish and hunt than Michigan PERIOD", all I can say to that is you must not get around much especially out west or you wouldn't make such blanket statement, period. Hex

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 29, 2020, 05:08 PM »
         I've heard different on the border lakes. You need a license to fish, you can fish into the Mi. water with an In. license but you must follow Mi. rules and regs. But don't quote me on this. ;D
Every time I’ve fished in Michigan there has never been anyone there to buy a pass. Ever
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:54 PM »
Snitch, evidently you don't own a business, i.e. Bait shop; Gas Station; Motel etc. Your comment about Indiana and Ohio sportsman staying home, might be the end of alot of the economy and service jobs up in Michigan. They depend on the out of state funds to survive in many areas! Hex

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2020, 05:49 AM »
Snitch, evidently you don't own a business, i.e. Bait shop; Gas Station; Motel etc. Your comment about Indiana and Ohio sportsman staying home, might be the end of alot of the economy and service jobs up in Michigan. They depend on the out of state funds to survive in many areas! Hex

then they better watch what they do!  they can cut their own throats like Indiana did with the lifetime licenses. 

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.