Author Topic: Keeping holes open, great idea  (Read 144497 times)

byronsbait.com

Keeping holes open, great idea
« on: Nov 07, 2003, 01:23 PM »
This method was mentioned below by "buckbuster" and was shown to me by a holman lake regular last year, it works great.

Take a cheap minnow bucket areator, the kind that runs on double A batteries. Run the tube to a areator stone, that is then placed in the hole. You can use a T connector to run several stones off of one pump. This way you can use one pump to keep several holes open, limited by how much tubeing you want laying around the ice.

Like I said, this was not my invention, but it sure works great and I thought I'd pass it along.

[email protected]

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
Re:Keeping holes open, great idea
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2003, 02:03 PM »
hey, good idea.I will have to try it IF we ever get any ice.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2003, 11:21 PM »
The best way to keep holes open that I have found is to fish every day!! ;D ;D ;D

loakieidog

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2003, 01:35 PM »
I have found that if you take a pice of paper(match covers work great} and split it half way and put it on your line -it will wigle in the wind and keep the hole open.This is for tip up use.

Offline auger7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who wait...
Re: Keeping holes open, great idea
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:37 AM »
You better get a good aereator because the cheap ones from the major discount stores can barely pump air into a minnow bucket, let alone a series of ice holes...

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2004, 11:01 AM »
I don't know about that. I have 2 different ones I bought this year and they both work! I always thought the same thing becuase i never had one worth a hill o beans. Some of the new ones are great!

Knife2sharp

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2004, 07:34 AM »
After owning several aquariums in my lifetime, I've found that you really have to look for a good stone.  You don't need fine bubbles for this so your best bet would be to get a small stone that is really porous (sp?).  You can test them out by blowing through them.  You don't want one that plugs your ears when you try to blow through it.

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2004, 03:01 PM »
I like having to go around and actually clean my holes with a spoon. It forces me to also check my bait. Quite often after hours of no action on a tip up I check to find an empty hook. Who knows how long the little bugger got away?

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Try the natural way use fish oil, cod liver oil or your favorite scents that are oil based. Keeps the hole from freezing and scents the area as well with no harmful effects to the water. ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Reelinrolly

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2004, 12:00 AM »
this was mentioned on a previous post but...get a ping pong ball and paint it black....and throw it in your hole...it will be heated by the sund and will float around and keep the hole ice free....again this was in a previous post just thought i would mention it to you guys

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2004, 08:54 AM »
oil in the hole will work, but you will get that cr_p on your line and onto your reel and everything else.. not for me..grumpymoe

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2004, 08:56 AM »
I'm with Andrew Drumond on this one. For jigging I'd rather keep the holes open with my scoop. I have tried fish oils, smelly jelly, etc and all that happens is that the cold water makes it stick to the line and then it ends up a goopy mess on my reel. Then especially with one and two pound test the line "fuses" into a blob. For my tipups, I have used old black frisbees with a notch cutout and that seems to work well. (Except for the time the wind caught them sitting on my sled on the way out. I've never seen anything accelerate so quickly!)
FTD

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2004, 02:32 PM »
 Keep pullin fish out of them and they won't freeze!!  LOL

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2004, 02:47 PM »
any other ideas such as the black frisbee or the black pingpong ball?  seems like a couple good ideas to me..  I stuck a piece of bark in the hole and it seemed to do the trick for a while.. ???   
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2004, 11:29 PM »
Have heard of W-D 40 as both a way to keep the hole open (unless very cold or under wind blown snow conditions) and as a fish attractant. Always forget to take any with me, so my experience is limited. Plus there is the "greasy reel" and "is it good for the environment" questions. Anyone have any good or bad experience with it?.
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2004, 04:36 AM »
i woul bet the fish would smell the wd 40 this wont help your tip up hole this is for keeping your hole open overnights when you fish a hardshack and dont want to drill inside your fishhole and then you have to shovel it all out...check these airbags out www.airbags.com

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Andrew Dumond,

I have the same thing happen when I'm fishing tip ups. Sometimes when I check I notice there is no bait there. Could the lake trout have possibly sucked off the bait without tripping the flag? They do hit extremely light here.
Anyway, have any of you tried those battery operated hole warmers? They are like little disks that keep the hole warm so it doesn't refreeze. I think I need these for my wind tip ups.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2004, 03:18 PM »
 :-\
Ya gotta pee anyway; Peein' in the hole helps keep it from freezin' over.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2004, 11:51 PM »
I keep a old coffee can full of water on the wood stove and pour a little in the holes when they start to freeze over not to much or you could melt you line

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2004, 10:06 PM »
Last time I looked hot water melts ice

hammerem

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2004, 08:40 PM »
I had a buddy spray his minnow (frozen shiner) with WD-40 and he was catching fish with it.  They were biting so good that day it was impossible to tell if it helped, but at least it didn't hurt.  As for keeping ice off the hole I'm not sure.  I've used windshield washer antifreeze with some luck but it doesn't float so bringing fish up the hole dilutes it.  Don't think its bad for the environment but I don't use it anymore.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2004, 06:52 AM »
yes, that certainly is very bad for the environment - DON'T PUT THAT IN THE LAKE!!!

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2004, 10:33 AM »
I scoop the blown snow and ice rim off regularly by hand, and often find that the little jiggle of moving the line aside to get the ice out will trigger a strike, particularly when you're dead-sticking.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:31 PM »
hot water freezes faster than cold water!

LOL ??? ???
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2004, 05:59 PM »
Windburn is correct, At hoome I had a hot water line that ran right next to a cold water line the darn hot water line would always freeze first so one day playing cards, drinking beers and tellin tall tales. I told the gang about this, they thought I was full of crap, so we did some experimenting on the lake one bored day, nobody believed me until I proved my point. Strange but true.

-Scott

hot water freezes faster than cold water!

LOL ??? ???
it's a fact, the moloculs are moving around faster that it freezes faster, ever see people throw a cup of hot water in the air when it's freezing out and it freezes before it hits the ground.... this is why. Ask Bill Nye the science guy!....LOL
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

trapperdirk

« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2004, 11:11 PM »
Yes it is a fact that hotwater freezes first . It's always my hotwater line that freezes in the winter up here and always long before the cold one does . Weird I know , but it's true and of course Bill Nye the Science Guy says the same because I told him so . LOL ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2004, 04:46 AM »
lmao TRAPPERDIRK THE SCIENCE ...lets see what rhymes with Dirk... :whistle:

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2004, 06:44 AM »
lmao TRAPPERDIRK THE SCIENCE ...lets see what rhymes with Dirk... :whistle:

LMAO, Could it be..........! That's too funny.
Ken                                          

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2004, 09:25 AM »
I am requesting an explanation from the shanty answer guy, Cider!  Has anyone heard from Cider lately?

Scott, could you make something lime the Bat signal to get Cider's attention at times like this?
Follow the bubbles...

hammerem

« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2004, 03:16 PM »
I did a little checking and found that windshield washer antifreeze is in fact environmentally friendly.  Shell.ca says that it is made from two types of alcohol and water.  The alcohol is quickly biodegradeable.  You have to be careful not to get washer fluid with added cleaners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.