Author Topic: UV Flashlight Mod  (Read 9124 times)

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: UV Flashlight Mod
« Reply #60 on: Oct 29, 2012, 11:42 AM »
I bought one of these (385-390) last year at ace hardware for $12 works frickin great!

http://www.scorpionmaster.com/homepage/9-led-flash-light.html

They have a bunch of different models http://www.scorpionmaster.com/led-ultraviolet-flashlights

Mine is really solid to boot.

Stopped in the local Ace Hardware for something I'm working on and remembered this post.  They had two left at 10.99 each and I bought both of them.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:49 PM »
I got my 365nm light today.... First impression, wow this sucks! ;D It gives off nearly no light at all!! I soon learned that I was dead wrong! I pointed it into my entry way and my work coat (safety yellow like road construction guys wear) was glowing like it was dipped in uranium! It's just like the ole tyme black lights, but with way more power...

Just messing around with it, I discovered that I can get a jig MUCH brighter. I can get a jig to glow brighter with 1sec of exposure to this light than I can by putting a standard led flash light directly on the jig for 5min. Not kidding.... 1 second with the 365nm light will charge a jig brighter than a standard light can in five minutes... WOW.

I will try to start a thread with pictures in the next few days, giving all credit for this to Frigidaire, of course.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:53 PM »
I got my 365nm light today.... First impression, wow this sucks! ;D It gives off nearly no light at all!! I soon learned that I was dead wrong! I pointed it into my entry way and my work coat (safety yellow like road construction guys wear) was glowing like it was dipped in uranium! It's just like the ole tyme black lights, but with way more power...

Just messing around with it, I discovered that I can get a jig MUCH brighter. I can get a jig to glow brighter with 1sec of exposure to this light than I can by putting a standard led flash light directly on the jig for 5min. Not kidding.... 1 second with the 365nm light will charge a jig brighter than a standard light can in five minutes... WOW.

I will try to start a thread with pictures in the next few days, giving all credit for this to Frigidaire, of course.

That's great news, I ordered one as well, should get it this week.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:56 PM »
There is a warning sticker on the side.... ;D

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:58 PM »
There is a warning sticker on the side.... ;D

That is why it works so darn good!!!! I wish there were several warning stickers, it would be that much better then. :thumbsup:

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Oct 30, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Hey Skipper,

I'm glad you like it!!!  I did say that it would not look bright to your eye.  I was more than satisfied when I received mine, a day or two before you did. ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Hey Skipper,
I did say that it would not look bright to your eye.

I was expecting more than a faint glow! Point it in the right direction and it sure lets ya know how bright it really is though!

Upon further inspection.... I really need to shampoo the carpet. It will show you things you don't want to see! :sick:

My oldest son was playing with it (he was told to keep it out of peoples eyes) and discovered that our washing machine looked like a murder scene. Dried laundry soap glows like crazy!

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Nearly all laundry detergents contain optical brighteners to make white clothes look whiter.  Optical brighteners also strongly absorb UV light; that's what makes them work.  By the way, that is why you should never wash your deer hunting outerware in such laundry detergents.  Deer, unlike people, can see somewhat into the UV part of the spectrum.  This is why hunting supply companies make and sell detergents free of optical brighteners, to wash your camo duds in.  ;)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Oct 30, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Now that you say that, I went and checked my scent killer laundry soap. No glow at all, nothing. Cool.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Oct 30, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Stopped in the local Ace Hardware for something I'm working on and remembered this post.  They had two left at 10.99 each and I bought both of them.

Sweet...i hope you like them! I'm going to try and get another one tomorrow.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline paperboy05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Nov 16, 2012, 12:45 PM »
TTT. Anyone have pics of the differences between 395, 365 and non-uv? This thread is intriguing the hell out of me :D

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #71 on: Nov 16, 2012, 02:45 PM »
TTT. Anyone have pics of the differences between 395, 365 and non-uv? This thread is intriguing the hell out of me :D

395 is junk IMO I have one and it doesn't charge them for crap. Better results with just my regular LED flashlight.

Offline vandy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 01, 2012, 07:44 PM »
This is a box I made,it has a UV light in it so you don't have to turn anything on or off, and can keep your hands free.

I also power my shack lights with it.

and at the end of the day I unhook it and hook up the charger to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.