Author Topic: fishing ling at night  (Read 12520 times)

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
fishing ling at night
« on: Dec 06, 2003, 01:11 PM »
does anyone know the best time to fish burbot at night and what methods to use

gunguru300shorty

Re:fishing ling at night
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2003, 02:13 PM »
Eel pout or Ling as you call it are refered to as Cusk up here in Maine. I enjoy fishing for Cusk at night so here are a few of my tips.Use a fairly large hook like a #2 or #1. It doesn't have to be a high quality hook. Fairly heavy line around 25 to 30# test, heavy sinker to get it down there fast, and the stinky-est bait you can find the better. On flags I noticed that Polar tip ups work best because strategic placement of your bait is best, and the little protrusion above the cross trip works good for fine adjustments.
        Any time of night is good but I've noticed that early evening to midnight seems to be the best.
        Water depths ranging from 12 to 30 feet are good but I've caught some in as little as 6 feet and as much as 80 feet deep. Place a sizeable piece of bait ( say bigger than your thumb) on the hook and place 3 to 9 inches from the bottom, placement is important.
         I've used smelt that have gone through several freeze thaw cycles to make them nice and juicy, to hot dogs, to supermarket "fish for chowder" you will have to experiment. You will be suprised to see what these things eat, they don't seem to be really fussy.
Fishing them in the shack is pretty neat also.If you have anymore questions, E- mail me and I'll give you some more insight. Good Luck. :'( :D

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2003, 04:22 PM »
I fish burbot up here in fairbanks, and am quickly becoming the expert (not too much info for them up here or anywhere) but i love to fish for them and have learned alot.  I catch most of my burbot form dark to about 11 pm so go earlier in the night time.  I jig for them and have nearly exclusively jigged for them with an exception of 3 i caught on tipups (too much hassle 8)).  I use big jigs and glow in the dark softbaits tipped with whitefish (the bigger the better).  I'd say jig heads about 1-4 oz and 8-12 inch softbaits.  I jig rapidly, you will be suprized at how aggresive they are, we have had butbot that are maybe 18 inches long take the 4oz 10 inch baits.  But the average size we get is about 5-6 pounds depending on the size bait we use.  Sorry gunguru, i have to disagree with the bait,  I have found in nearly every predatory fish that fresh bait works the best.  The fresher the better, and the oillier the better.  Fresh oily fish draws the greatest attention and more agressive hits.  Just so you know i know what i'm talking about, I have caught 54 burbot since ice up this year, the biggest being 14.5 pounds.  Haven't got skunked for them this year either.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2003, 05:39 PM »
thanks for the information gunguru and fishermanjake. i just recently bought some glow jig for this reason. i will be sure to report my luck on this upcoming weekend. thanks

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2003, 11:39 PM »
Go with glow.  And . . .  let your jig hit the bottom, even let it sit on bottom for a few seconds.  And don't lift it more than 2 feet, usually no more than 6 inches.
(unless of course you see something higher up on the flasher and want to catch it to see what it is, but if it's more than 2 feet up it's probably not a ling)
 Ling are the only fish that I consistently fish closer to the bottom than walleyes.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Thanks GEM_EYE_GUY for the information. I was also was wondering what color(s) of glow jig do u normally have the most succes with durning the nightor dusk for eyes or burbot.

gunguru300shorty

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 02:50 PM »
I fish burbot up here in fairbanks, and am quickly becoming the expert (not too much info for them up here or anywhere) but i love to fish for them and have learned alot.  I catch most of my burbot form dark to about 11 pm so go earlier in the night time.  I jig for them and have nearly exclusively jigged for them with an exception of 3 i caught on tipups (too much hassle 8)).  I use big jigs and glow in the dark softbaits tipped with whitefish (the bigger the better).  I'd say jig heads about 1-4 oz and 8-12 inch softbaits.  I jig rapidly, you will be suprized at how aggresive they are, we have had butbot that are maybe 18 inches long take the 4oz 10 inch baits.  But the average size we get is about 5-6 pounds depending on the size bait we use.  Sorry gunguru, i have to disagree with the bait,  I have found in nearly every predatory fish that fresh bait works the best.  The fresher the better, and the oillier the better.  Fresh oily fish draws the greatest attention and more agressive hits.  Just so you know i know what i'm talking about, I have caught 54 burbot since ice up this year, the biggest being 14.5 pounds.  Haven't got skunked for them this year either.
Hey... Thats why I got on this website ,to learn more. I had never guessed to try glow jigs but I'll be doin' er this year! And you are right about the oily and fresh baits now that I think of it. I usually fish for Cusk at night while I fish for Smelt and use my fresh smelt for bait with great results. However you must agree that what may work on one lake, may not work as well on another, and especially if you are in different parts of the country. I will definately try your suggestions this year as well. Thanks for the advice and good fishing! :D

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2003, 05:49 PM »
sorry gunguru, i didn't mean to sound like such a know it all, thats my experience on the subject.  I've had bait go rank on me :-X and have never done good with it.  I always do the best with fresher bait.  But my dad used to fish sturgen on the columbia and they definately like the stinky bait ;D.  Old dead rotten shad, enough to make a guy puke.  that was back in the day 80s (i'm not real old yet) but my dad would have us pick up dead shad when we were fishing for bass, then he would brew them up. I do agree with you fully on different systems having different tecniques to catch the fish, but i would say to be on the safe side that if in doubt, use the fresh stuff.  You might even catch a big pike or walleye on what you use for burbot if your bait is fresh.  No walleye in alaska though, so its pike and burbot for me   :D

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:52 AM »
anytime i've fished on or very near bottom with ANYTHING i managed to nail burbot and especially at night-it can become quite busy at times :P :P :P

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2003, 11:35 AM »
thanks grumpymoe what depth do u normally find burbot at and what do they normally hit on. and if u know, what time or just at night in general.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2003, 08:32 PM »

theres my best (14.5)

them burbot are aggressive, that one was caught with rapid jigging.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:26 PM »
hey jake nice pics was that the real size of your bait? what time was it about and depth? ???

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2003, 12:39 AM »
well i was fishing in a river at about 20-25 feet deep. the best bite was an hour after dark for about 2 hours then it slowed down again.  The second fish their my buddy caught,  he was using a 4 oz jig head and that 10 inch soft bait, i was using a 8 inch curly tail grub on a one ounce jig heads.  I caught more fish then him, but i think if i had the big jig i would have caught more and bigger fish.  My friends seem to loose more fish on the hookset so i think its techneique by experience....i do icefish more than anyone who has gone with me.

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2003, 08:05 AM »
king fish#1--fishing on the river we've caught them at just about any depth at night although 20-30 feet seemed to be the busiest---on a large lake 10-20 feet works just as well--and generally anytime thru the night--p.s. never had to use glow jigs either-busy busy busy :'( :'( :'(

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2003, 11:01 PM »
hey guys what kind or lure do u normally have the most success with?

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2003, 11:32 PM »
these glow in the dark softbaits tipped with whitefish

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:58 AM »
thanks jake for the info i will try to buy some of these at the local fishin hole. do uhvae to iluminate the jig before use or do they just glow?

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2003, 11:42 AM »
you have to illuminate them first.  Sunlight, blacklight, and camera flash work the quickest, but anylight will do.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2003, 08:21 PM »
Jake, looking at your setup, how do you hook the whitefish? It seems if you hook it under the dorsal fin they would be pepedicular to each other.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:08 PM »
I don't use a whole one, i just tip it with a peice to leave a scent trail.

gunguru300shorty

« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2003, 02:29 PM »
Awesome fish there Jake! :o
       Funny as is seems we catch more in the shack than we do on flags. Just jig a few inches off the bottom and feel the tugs. I will have to try your method of jigs though. I have caught some lunker 1lb.ers before on smelt, but never thought to go artificial or glow. Need to really give that a try.Thanx!

gunguru300shorty

« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2003, 02:32 PM »
 :'(Sorry about that... I meant to type 16 pounders for weight. You can use one pounders for bait!
HEH HEH.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2004, 08:41 AM »
So just to reconfirm the overeall consensus for Ling fishing best bites would be between dusk and 11 pm?
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2004, 02:02 PM »
thats what i've found, but it could be different for each body of water and where you fish that body of water.  they are very active for most of the night

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2004, 02:48 PM »
Well jake u seem to quite the man on The ling that is for sure...You seem to clean up when it comes to ling fishing. I've only fished em the last 2 years as Where i live they arn't that common but where my in-laws live they are. Anyhoe im at my in-laws this weekend and i didn't get any last night but i think i may have hit them late. I didnt get out there till like  8:30 or so set up by quarter till 9 then only fished till 10. Nothing. Tonight ill try the hit till 9 from fd\dusk ill report back to ya about my luck. I picked up some Glow jig heads but i couldnt find any glow soft baits like you use (i think it was you who use's them)  Anyhow like i said ill report back to ya tonight. After i get back. Tight lines and thanks any info you put on here ill gladly take into my mind and store for future reference. Your advice seems to be the key. Tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2004, 08:15 PM »
hey germ, those softbait are actually designed for halibut and deepsea fishing, so if you know of any places to find that kind of gear the glow in the dark, large softbaits should be there.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:32 PM »
So um no luck man. LOL we fished till almost the same time i started the night before but no luck. Weird maybe the time of year or not the right place! DO you bait your Ling before you fish for them ?? We had 6 holes going differnt depth in the lake both with live fish dead fish and glow jigs and jiging .....no fish. I don't know what to tell ya!??? I wish i had some ling...You selling...er giving any your way lol. TIght lines!

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2004, 07:51 PM »
caught 2 cusk in 19mile bay in NEW HAMPSHIRE saturday. one was about 3-3 1/2lbs and caught them both on 3in shiners on the bottom
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Live shiners or dead ones? lol im trying to target these beasts as much as i can so im getting what works and going to use what works lol.

Ice Troll

« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2004, 01:40 AM »
I fish for Ling out west in a rather large Missouri River Reservoir. We catch alot of 10 lbs plus ling on live minnows fished within 1-2 feet from bottom. These fish are caught under tipups. Best results is at night but I have caught them at high noon as well. I definetely agree with the glow aspect. The reason I dont use cut bait is we are targeting Pike, Lake Trout and Walleye as much as we are the Ling and a live minnow works best all around. On this particular reservoir, we seem to catch Ling on any bottom including mud, sand/silt, pebble and near big rock piles. I believe that the Ling are simply following their forage and will go wherever that may be found. I do believe that the size of the body of water, type of forage and overall population of Ling are all factors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.