Author Topic: Any one know if there is an adaptor for clam plate to nils orange auger?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any one know if there is an adaptor for clam plate to nils orange auger? I’m thinking of switching from my K drill to the Nils it seems faster and easier on the drill. My wrists will not take another brunt of the auger catching that’s why I need the Clam plate

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not for the orange but they do make one for the blue auger.. just by the black augers blades instead of the red augers blades?? When you up grade..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are you buying the 6 inch or 8 inch ??  If looking at the 6 inch look for the strike master lazer 6 inch blades are cheaper and easier to obtain and way cheaper to sharpen..   if it is the 8 I would get the nils for sure or convert a 7 inch mora to laser blades with adaptors.. the adaptors are found same place as the adaptor for the blue nils auger to clam plate wich is ebay..

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going 6 inch I like the lazer idea but used one and thought it was very grabby in the ice hole especially at break through. I broke my wrist years ago and cannot take a bad jar to my hands.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Going 6 inch I like the lazer idea but used one and thought it was very grabby in the ice hole especially at break through. I broke my wrist years ago and cannot take a bad jar to my hands.

The 7 and 8 inch lasers are real bad on being gabby and lock up.. they get the blades threw and you have to hit it on the handle to break threw the rest of the way I have been told??  but it never worked for me hitting the mushroom handle to pop thrww.. I know my 5 inch lazer auger cut like a dream even though it had chinesse factory blades on it.. I gave it to my brother.. the ld6 laser is from what I hear cuts the same as the 5 inch and they cut similar  as the 6 inch nils cuts.. so they all  cut about the same the ld5 the ld6 and the nils 6 inch.. the head on the nils is about $70  and to sharpen it you got to ship it out and ship it back I think last I heard this was around $30 for sharpening and shipping back to you??  Last I looked to sharpen laser blades was $7  replacements were around $20 to $40..   I do own a 6 inch and 8 inch nils and converted a mora to laser blades.. and it cuts nice very nice with my rigid hammer drill model r86116 with 750 inch pounds of torque.. hope this info help Ya..  the mora don't have the ice breaking bars so it don't hang up at bottom of the hole with the conversion kit..  I had to retool or rebuild the adaptor plates cause aluminum Is a soft metal and the guy that made it put threads in the aluminum to hold it to auger .. so instead of losing a new blade and adaptor down the hole from yhe srews ripping out..  I drilled out those threads and bought new screws and put drilled in pockets in for the screw heads..  so the blade could cut with out hittin the screws.. but all and all I like that converted mora the best it's cheap to use and don't cost to much on up keep..  any how hope all this helps ya out..

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I use a 7” lazer with a clam plate, and it does have issues catching the bottom of the ice. The trick to a clean breakthrough is to lift up slightly as it pulls itself down.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the replies guys!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Any one know if there is an adaptor for clam plate to nils orange auger? I’m thinking of switching from my K drill to the Nils it seems faster and easier on the drill. My wrists will not take another brunt of the auger catching that’s why I need the Clam plate

Yes. There is one that is on eBay from time to time. It is like the adaptor for the blue one. Only it is longer so the stem for the drill on the orange one fits up in the adaptor shaft.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The orange nils is designed to be used directly with a drill and includes a plate to stop it from going through the hole if it detaches.

BUT ....  the auger / bit tends to strip easily and Nils was horrible when I contacted them and refused to do anything about it. He told me I didn't follow the instructions but there were none in the box!

Not only did they refuse to address it the guy was a jerk.

Next auger for me is Fin Bore  >:(
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The orange nils is designed to be used directly with a drill and includes a plate to stop it from going through the hole if it detaches.

BUT ....  the auger / bit tends to strip easily and Nils was horrible when I contacted them and refused to do anything about it. He told me I didn't follow the instructions but there were none in the box!

Not only did they refuse to address it the guy was a jerk.

Next auger for me is Fin Bore  >:(

Did you talk to frank sharp nils to see if he could help see what's going on??

I own two nils I don't like them as much as my mora I convertered to laser blades cause sharpening and up keep is to much for what I like to pay don't want to sell them cause they were a gift from my sister ...I think the 6 inch laser is just as good as a nils if that's what he looking at.. I owed a 5 inch laser it cut very nice by hand during that polar vortex year.. but the 8 was a pain in the arse .. mostly by haND it's to much auger for a drill or by hand once ice gets thick..

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very interesting on the Lazer better than the Nils. Here is the deal I have the K Drill I like it but I think it's hard on my drill and I go through 3 sets of blades a year they are lousy and take a month to get back. On top of it I see others go through ice faster and easier I always feel like I'm having to do a work out before I run this thing. I had a Nils for a while but had the same issue the top kept rounding off so I thought I would get the adaptor and try that with the clam plate. I tried it with a Mora 7 inch and the first time out it snapped and down to 40 feet of water we went. For the short time I had it I think it did do a great job and did not twist in the hole. I tried the lazer but it was a 7 inch and hurt my wrists bad. Maybe a 6 inch lazer would be better now the Clam has a 6 inch which looks like a laser but with out the bars? not sure. Lefty on here said he liked the Nero I tried it a few times and returned it. worked but pulled you threw the ice. Any way I need a easier way to do this and a cheaper way I want to sell the K drill and recoup the cash. Thanks Oh which auger is the best?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Very interesting on the Lazer better than the Nils. Here is the deal I have the K Drill I like it but I think it's hard on my drill and I go through 3 sets of blades a year they are lousy and take a month to get back. On top of it I see others go through ice faster and easier I always feel like I'm having to do a work out before I run this thing. I had a Nils for a while but had the same issue the top kept rounding off so I thought I would get the adaptor and try that with the clam plate. I tried it with a Mora 7 inch and the first time out it snapped and down to 40 feet of water we went. For the short time I had it I think it did do a great job and did not twist in the hole. I tried the lazer but it was a 7 inch and hurt my wrists bad. Maybe a 6 inch lazer would be better now the Clam has a 6 inch which looks like a laser but with out the bars? not sure. Lefty on here said he liked the Nero I tried it a few times and returned it. worked but pulled you threw the ice. Any way I need a easier way to do this and a cheaper way I want to sell the K drill and recoup the cash. Thanks Oh which auger is the best?

If you want a 6in lazer, I'll trade you mine with a spare set of blades and an extention. It be pretty close to the cost of the k-drill.

With all the stuff you've mentioned I really think that what you are looking for is a 6in mora (flat blade auger) on a clam plate. Cuts smooth, doesn't catch the bottom, cheap blades, and Works the drill the least.

I

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.