Author Topic: 2 personal best trout and some whitefish Saturday 30/03/08  (Read 1347 times)

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Hi Y'all,

Went out down to Big Sandy Lake again with my wife, Matt, and Glen. Loaded up 2 snowmobiles and all the gear on my poor little truck  (which coped except for a ding in the paintwork...more dosh to the car dealer  :'( ). Glen met us at Tim Horton's and we were headed out by 8:15am arriving on the ice by 9:30ish.

We drilled all the holes and a quick check of the sonar revealed the spot was still absolutely crawling with baitfish, sometimes the shoals were 15 feet thick from the bottom up, so should be some fish around. Fishing started off slowly but it was not long before we started to catch. Glen kicked things off with a nice whitefish followed shortly afterwards with a beauty of a trout..........

WARNING: A FEW OF THE VIDEOS IN THIS POST CONTAIN A COUPLE OF SWEAR WORDS, IF THIS OFFENDS DO NOT PLAY,  THANKS :)

GLEN'S PB LAKE TROUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZumldTv4L38

Not long after that the guys i met there the first time we were there started to show up, i felt pretty bad cuz it was obvious they were heading to the spot we were at, this was the spot they had shown me, but they were very good natured about it and set up first on one side of us, then about 4hrs later moved to the other side of us. This made me feel bad again cuz it was obvious they would have preferred their hotspot which we were plotted on, but when one of their group hoisted the American flag the more Canadian members of our group became a lot less charitable towards their plight...lol....

SORRY GUYS, WE NABBED YOUR SPOT....LOSE THE FLAG THOUGH (JUST KIDDING)

Talking of stealing in on other peoples territory, not long after Glen's trout  the bell my wife's rods that i set up for her went off, she told me to grab it...so i did and we got a nice whitefish, i say we...she did really i just reeled it up, but she refuses to say she caught it. Anyway it was not long before she caught one by herself and i manged a couple more after that too. Glen also got a couple of whitefish too, as did Matt but the pictures of his fish are all on his camera so could not include on this report......

MY WIFE GETTING HER FIRST WHITEFISH, A BIT GORY WITH ALL THE BLOOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs5b2gyhYp0

A FEW PICCIES OF WHITEFISH CAUGHT

By now we had been cleaning fish as we went along and had thrown the filletted carcasses 50 yards away from where were were fishing. It was not long before the eagles started to circle for a free meal. It was a bit shy and had some competition from another eagle but i managed a snap of him/her in mid flight as it circled.

ALWAYS UP FOR A FREE MEAL!

It was a pretty slow day, periods of activity followed by long periods of nish and missed fish, i had a monster on which snapped my line, followed by a medium to large fish which unhooked half way up. I did manage a nice trout which was a personal best on ice but I've had bigger on the open water using downriggers, it litterally tapped at a small dexter wedge tipped with a live minnow, i thought it was the light bite of a whitefish until i felt the weight....

ANOTHER NICE TROUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEexQ8VQoU

We decided to pack up at around 4:30pm after a long period of not catching anything despite the baitfish still being there. Just like the other day, just before we left a Ling was caught....this time Glen hooked into it.

ANOTHER 'LAST MINUTE' LING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6But2WIeCIY

NATIONAL 'SPOONS FOR LOONS' DAY

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with Glen again and we are gonna meet half way between our 2 towns of Kenora and dryden and try for some Trout at Gordon Lake. Neither of us has fished it before but I'll let ya know what happened.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 2 personal best trout and some whitefish Saturday 30/03/08
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Always love to hear of someone landing a new PB. Looked like a fun day. Thanks for sharing.

-Andrew
Andrew

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2 personal best trout and some whitefish Saturday 30/03/08
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2008, 09:52 PM »
For the record - it was Mrs. viciouscircle's rod that caught the first fish, a very nice whitefish that viciouscircle reeled in for her. I had to wait patiently for about an hour after that to start my day off.
All in all an excellent day out with some good people. Nice to meet your wife and Matt. Great fishing even if it was a tad slow. My 28" trout was a highlight for me that's for sure but the hole trip was great.
Thanks for the invite Simon.
Regards,
Glen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.