New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

how do keep left over bait?

<< < (2/3) > >>

cSpike:
You can also put shiner life in your water. Many bait dealers use it (water will be tinted if they do). It cuts down on some of the harsh chemicals in well water and keeps the fish active with electrolites in the mix. I had good luck with that when I dealt bait. Biggest issue is temperature. the reason I started dealing bait was I got sick of buying bait from a heated enviorment and having them die from the temperature change when I arrived at the pond to fish.
I kept my 100 gallon horse trough tank outside in a insulated box I built around it. Two circulating pumps, one that shot down into the water to give it o2 and a couple trouble light to prevent it from freezing up. Worked great and the bait was the best I'd ever used. Next best set up is something like Martels had where they took water directly from a source which kept them nice and cool.

The gun shop in Kingston at least caught on as he keeps his out in a colder section of the store now. used to be he had them inside and they were not that great. His hours suc and he counts them out EXACTLY!
Come on man a bakers dozen at least!

Spike

duck doctor:
Another thing I have started doing is running an aerator that runs on batteries while out on the ice.  I noticed a big difference in the livelyhood of my bait when in cold oxygenated water.

beeverfishing:

--- Quote from: CaptSpike on Dec 16, 2007, 07:01 PM --- Next best set up is something like Martels had where they took water directly from a source which kept them nice and cool.

Spike

--- End quote ---
Yeah,  a small spring works great.  I have used an old washer drum, sunk into the spring flow to keep minnows alive for months.  Actually got the idea from a small bait shop here.  you could also use old bathtubs close to the creek and pipe the water to it.  Unfortunately, I have moved and the closest small creek has native bookies in it and I wouldn't want to disturb it..  and there might be a chance of high water.. wouldn't want to have natives in with my bait.

jibbs:
i tried using an additive last week.........the same mix at bought at northern bass supply to keep my bass alive in the livewell.........i usually put in a cap and its suppose to give them a little life.........as for that guy in kingston.........i give up.........the guy is never open.........the bait is small........and sucks........i think i am going to go out and by a fish tank......right now i am sitting on 40 dollars of bait, because saturday was slow and i wasn't able to get out today........it sucks, because many times i am the one buying the bait and people pay me when i get there.......well, it doesn't always work out and sometimes it can be a crap shoot on how much bait you should buy.......you never want to run out if the fish are biting........i like to get 4 dozen and dozen of pike shiners to maintain usually 18 traps.........when you are a junk fisherman like me.....that bait doesn't last long.........anyways, thanks for the tips and i can't wait to go out next weekend

duck doctor:

--- Quote from: jibbs on Dec 16, 2007, 07:27 PM ---
when you are a junk fisherman like me.....that bait doesn't last long.........

--- End quote ---

Just another reason to fish Lt!  12 of anything and you should be good for the day....also costs a lot less money!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version