Author Topic: Refill 1lb Propane Tank or Take 20lb along / & Mr Heater Big Buddy Question  (Read 76437 times)

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
I'm sure I've read this somewhere - perhaps on here even - cant you paint your bottles black to help absorb some heat? (Talking for the 20lb tanks - I like to set mine outside the shack and run the hose under one of the flaps.)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Thanks dawg I think I'm going to have to try one now. :)

dd, I think you will like it. It should vaporize about like a 20 pounder.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline munchy71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
I'm sure I've read this somewhere - perhaps on here even - cant you paint your bottles black to help absorb some heat? (Talking for the 20lb tanks - I like to set mine outside the shack and run the hose under one of the flaps.)

In Iowa, anyway, they won't refill them or excahnge them if they're anything other than factory issue white.  I was talking to the Cenex guy the other day and he said that alot of the duck hunters waint to pain theirs camo, but it's illegal as all get out....

-Munchy
Rod Woten

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
You could make the hole in the ice shanty and having the bottle under the ice would give you more room in the shanty.  I think that my joke has become a serious option.

Hmmmm.........Actually, you'd have to drill a series of auger holes in the ice to make the hole large enough to house the cylinder, particularly the 20 # tank.  What you could do is drill the ice cavity just deep enough to come close to the rim that holds the handle holes, then drill one corner of the cavity right down to the water.  As it floods in, you'd have the tank safely in the water, unable to sink (if it sinks at all), and held stationary by the sides of the ice hole.  (Sorry for getting off-topic here).
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Here is some info from another board   that kinda says why they go out when its cold:

Whether a 100# tank (or multiple smaller tanks ganged together) is needed depends on how cold you want to be out in and how many BTUs the heater is. Give us that info and we can tell for sure. There are certainly situations where some commonly sold vented and unvented heaters will need a 100# tank in MN.

The required cylinder size depends on the combination of:

- BTU draw
- tank temperature
- size of the tank
- how full the tank is

This is due to a physical property of any liquid turning to a vapor, called vapor pressure. The propane in the tank is pressurized into liquid, and we burn the fumes off it.

Propane does not evaporate below -44 deg F, it stays as liquid. As you get closer to -44, less and less liquid evaporates to vapor, thus, less pressure. And that vapor pressure drop off FAST below 30 degrees!:

30 deg = 40% of 80 deg pressure
0 deg = 20% of 80 deg pressure
-20 deg = <10% of 80 deg pressure

Both the vented and unvented heaters, if not supplied with enough pressure (read: BTUs), may not run reliably or safely with too low of a pressure - because if the heater is not getting enough propane for its BTU rating and design, the thermocouple may not get hot enough and the heater can shut down.

Example: If you have a 35,000 BTU heater, and run it off a 20# tank at 0 degrees, you are probably going to have some problems. Like wise for a 75,000 BTU heater and a 100# tank - you would need two 100# ganged together for -20F to push that amount of BTU for more than a couple hours.

And to make things worse for us all, as you draw down the propane tank, you get less and less pressure, too. Here's a BTU chart of temp and fill level for a 100# tank - its proportionally less for smaller tanks. This means that the colder it is, the less usable propane there is, even in a full tank!

As you can see below, 0 deg F and a low 100# tank brings low BTU outputs into play that approach the BTU outputs of common BTU-sizes of vented and unvented heaters. Halve those 0 deg F numbers on the left side (approximately) for -20 deg F.

-----snip!------
VAPORIZATION RATE - 100 lb. Propane Cylinder (Approx)

Pounds of propane in cylinder Maximum continuous draw in BTU/hr
at various temperatures in degrees F.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pounds
of
propane        0°    20°     40°     60°     70°
100      113,000 167,000 214,000 277,000 300,000
90       104,000 152,000 200,000 247,000 277,000
80        94,000 137,000 180,000 214,000 236,000
70        83,000 122,000 160,000 199,000 214,000
60        75,000 109,000 140,000 176,000 192,000
50        64,000  94,000 125,000 154,000 167,000
40        55,000  79,000 105,000 131,000 141,000
30        45,000  66,000  85,000 107,000 118,000
20        36,000  51,000  68,000  83,000  92,000
10        28,000  38,000  49,000  60,000  66,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chart shows the vaporization rate of containers in terms of
the temperature of the liquid and the wet surface area of
the container. When the temperature is lower or if the container
has less liquid in it, the vaporization rate of the container is
a lower value.
-------snip!-------

Also - Smaller tanks' behave differently than you would expect, too. I.e., A full 30# tank DOES NOT put out 45,000 BTU at 0 deg F like a 100# tank with 30 pounds in it does - it is actually less. This is because there is less liquid volume below the liquid-vapor interface.

That's it from Dr. Science - remember, he's not a real doctor, he's just a kook. 

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB30&Number=1167134&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
lol  wont let me post the other board   lol

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
I have a vented heater and when it gets really cold I pull the hose in, bring the tank inside the shanty, hook it back up and restart the heater. As long as my tank and fittings aren't leaking I don't have a problem with it.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
When the heater starts fading, you can swirl the propane container to get some pressure. Only the tanks with a hose going to the heater. I would wait for the heater to go out or shut it off for a mounted tank. The shaking or swirling momentarily doubles the surface of the liquid and makes more pressure. Same effect as shaking up your buddies beer before you give it to him. It works for a little while.

Another thing to do with a "remote" bottle is to hang it from the roof of the shack. If you get the propane up higher where the most of the heat is, the tank will keep its pressure up.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
I had a problem refilling 1 pound tanks on a cold day last week and came up with a solution.  The 1 lb tanks would only fill about 10%, I believe because they were the same temp as the 20 lb tank (both frozen in the garage).  What I do now is fill them up a little and then put them in the heater and turn the heater on, in a few minutes the tank will be covered with frost and really cold.  I then remove the tank and refill with my adapter.  The refilled tanks are as full as when you buy a new one, that never happened before.   

Offline InTheRiver

• IceShanty Rookie
Refilling 1# tanks is simple you just have to be safe, keep all 1# bottles COLD freezing cold and either keep or get your 20# tank warm like 60 degrees or so I kept mine in the house for a night (you may not want to do this with a fresh filled tank). After all that take the tank outside and connect the 1# tank flip upside down and open the valve, now listen to the propane transfer when you hear it stop its full, I weigh them to see where there at, an empty tank weighs .15 or so.. after I fill them they weigh 1.15 +/- and if the valve sticks at the top I tap the tank upside down on a 2x4 or poke the valve with a small screwdriver. I keep all my refilled bottles in the shed (its not air tight) I do cover the valve with duck tape to keep out dirt. Mr. Buddy heaters I seem to hear alot about how they dont work correctly, I have used Mr. heater before but I now use my Reddy Heater Hot Spot its an over kill (15-25,000BTU) but I use it in my garage as well so double purpose and it only cost 69.99 OH! you can cook on it as well.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
update!    This year I bought the quick disconnect hses from mr heater   able to run 2 big buddies on high without a shut down due to propane issues   best deal yet   now to get some of  those covers made  for over the pilot light!

Offline Illinoizboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicago, Il. No, I never met Al Capone.
I use an 11# propane tank that isn't the tall type.
What's the name and where do you get them.
One a Da Boyz from Illinoiz
U.S.A.F. Vietnam Vet 66-67

Hello,my name is John.... and I am an ICE HOLE.
God Bless our Troops.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've been able to refill the 1# tanks to around 50% with the adapter and starting out with them in the freezer.I was fortunate to get a 5# bottle for free on a job I was on this
summer and for me it's a perfect size.One bottle as compared to 3 or 4 to bring.Home Depot had them for about $37 last time I looked.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
D.O.T. regulations actually make it illegal to TRANSPORT refilled 1 lb cylanders. It is legal to refill them, although not recommended... just not transport them. As far as your heater going out when you still have propane, you may be using the propane faster than it can evaporate from the 1 lb cylanders. you would probably have more luck with say a 10 lb tank. Just my thoughts.

Dave

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
Dont get me wrong, this heater (Big Buddy) works awesome!!!  I just cant seem to empty the 1lb tank.  It'll drain until 1/4 left or so and then turn Off like I said.  My real question is...   Is refilling a 1lb tank worth it or a hastle???

ive tried it and you can only fill them 70%full.... just use your 20lb or buy new 1lbrs

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac

You can.... and it would absorb more heat, but that makes it illegal to refill then.... at least technically. They may still refill it, but they aren't supposed to... just an FYI.

Dave

Offline mnoutdoor

• IceShanty Rookie
I use a 10lb tank on my Mr HEATER IT WORKS GOOD AND LASTS A LONG TIME.

Offline Redbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
HOLD ON, HOLD, ON.... I just read on the back of my 1 lb. tank and it says "DO NOT REFILL"... "IT IS AGAINST STATE LAW TO TRANSPORT THESE TANKS IF THEY ARE REFILLED?" Read the back!  I have seen the refill adapters at gander mountain though. **censored**????
\"YOUR FLAG IS..... down!\"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
You can.... and it would absorb more heat, but that makes it illegal to refill then.... at least technically. They may still refill it, but they aren't supposed to... just an FYI.

Dave
you can paint them   according to NFPA it "should"be in a reflective color   But there is an exemption  use in cold weather climates

Offline Quickflip29

• IceShanty Rookie
I too have been having the problem of my big buddy going out. What I did and it has cured the problem, I made cup holders out of foil bubble foil for the 1lb tanks to sit in and that helps keep the cylinder from getting cold and frosted up, therefore keeps the pressure from dropping in the tank and now my big buddy rarely goes out. Hope this tip helps.

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
They say right on the back of them NOT to refill

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Why won't my Mr.Heater work on low with the twenty pound tank then ???
when using 20 lb tank a filter is a must because of the moisture that is in bulk tanks

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
That is exactly my question.  I just bought Y-Splitter and 2 5ft hoses so I can run a 20lb propane tank on my Mr Heater Big Buddy.  I never thought about refilling a 1lb.  I am pondering returning my $50 dollar worth of parts and buy a refill adapter.  What do you think?

no need to split the hose you can hook to one side of the bigbuddy either side it dont matter propane will not leak out the other side even when there is nothing hooked to the otherside just as long as you use a filter to keep out any moisture present in the propane you will be fine

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How much does it cost you guys to refill a 20 pounder?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
85 cents a pound here

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
about $1/lbs here
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Just bought the "Big" Mr. Heater.    I love the settings from 4,000 BTU to 18,000 BTU and the fan helps to get pushing the heat in a hurry.

It takes 2 one lb tanks, or you can hook up a hose to a larger tank.
I bought mine at Fleet Farm, and they had portable tanks in  2 1/2 lb, 5 lb, 11 lb and 20 lb.

They also had 80 and 100 lb tanks, but that would be for a more permanent setup.

If you buy a hose, get the green one, then you do not need the filter.

The problem isn't with the moisture in the tank, it's with the crude that happens in the hose.

If you don't buy the green style (they are more expensive) or can't find one, make sure to get a filter.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
you're absolutely right, the hoses without the plasticizer do not require a filter. Mr Heater sells these hoses as well.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone tried filling the 5# tanks?

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
ive been refilling for a year now...and NEVER a problem. saves LOTS of money and who did you ever hear of getting in trouble for refilling tanks... how will they know anyway??!!! just my 2 cents. Rebel.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.