Author Topic: Whitefish Madness!!  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Deeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whitefish Madness!!
« on: Dec 31, 2006, 09:45 PM »
Hey there Ice Shanty Members...been a while
 Headed out to Shoal Lake on Saturday with my wife, anxious to let her see the new Vex in action so hopefully she'd understand now why I've been wanting one.
  We were targeting Whitefish, fishing about 50', and man oh man did the Vex get a work out, and what a blast catching these scrappers. 

My brother and nephew showed up later after hitting another Whitefish hot spot, and said they caught a 35" Pike down at 45' on a jig!!! Who'd of thought they'd be that deep eh?
   So i set up a Tip Up with a fresh Lake Herring (the smaller ones in the photo)....down to about 10' off the bottom @ 50'...and wouldn't ya know it my Frabill alarm starts screaming....took all kinds of line, but unfortunately lost it when i set the hook...brought up one shredded Herring....dam!
   Sorry I didn't take many pictures...next time.

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
Re: Whitefish Madness!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2006, 09:48 PM »
Nice Whiteys! ;D

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2006, 10:04 PM »
 :o Nice
Andrew

Offline TogoJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2006, 10:27 PM »
Wow, that is a mess of whitefish.
I have never had too much luck with them myself.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2006, 10:31 PM »
Deeker nice to hear from you on this forum. Beautiful fish buddy and yest he vex is fun.  iI am still tinkering with mine after 1 yr. I love it. How's the fishing been on the river at your home?
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2006, 10:32 PM »
Very nice Deeker...since my wife bought me an FL20, I suppose I should show her how it works too, eh?   ;D
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2006, 10:39 PM »
What an awesome haul of whitefish! I'm still looking for my first... it looks like you found a few tullibee as well.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2007, 12:02 AM »
that is a massive pile of fish, The vex really did get a good work out
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Thane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:15 AM »
Sweet catch of Whities Ron.  Makes for a pile of nice fillets.   I'm in the justify-buying-color-flasher-thing with my wife.  For now I'll have to just make do with my Zercom.  Never targeted Whitefish through the ice.  They fight pretty hard during the open water so I'm sure they're equally as fun through the ice.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Nice catch  :thumbsup:Deeker are you planning to smoke some of those arent they too oily to fry? They also make awesome Lake Trout bait! Good Haul!

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:53 AM »
wow nice whitefish
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline rainbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2007, 11:12 AM »
 :clap: :clap: Very Nice Deeker Keep those posts coming  8)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2007, 03:01 PM »
Wow, did you ever get into the whitefish!  I can just imagine the taste of stuffed baked whitefish....Yum!  Great shot of your catch, and too bad you didn't bring up that big (pike?) off the bottom!
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Cansoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2007, 07:14 PM »
Very very nice FISH and lots too eh!

Offline Bigbore

• IceShanty Rookie
  • E-town Icefisher
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:14 PM »
nice looking whites deeker,  i havent caught that many total yet this season in 3 outings.

Offline swilleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:52 PM »
My smoker is drueling, good on you ;D ;D ;D :tipup:

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:54 AM »
man, those things are awesome!  i've never caught a whitey, closest i've gotten are it's cousin mr. ciscoe.  even those things put up an awesome fight, even if they do smell somethin' fierce!! congrats!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:07 PM »
Congrats Deeker, very nice pile of whitefish and tullibee. 8)

WW

Offline Deeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:06 PM »
 Thanks!
   Actually the smaller ones are not Tulibee, they are lake Herring, when we first caught them there last year i thought right away they were just small tulibee...learn't later that they were Herring (they seem much smaller than tulibee we've caught before??) Good pike bait!!
  Cooked up a whitefish last night... delicious!!
    No Bigwalleye, haven't hit the river behind my house as much as I should be...instead i drive 400kms????
    Plan on trying here a bit more as soon as I finish snowblowing the path down there.....that was a heck of a dump of snow on the weekend. 

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Actually the smaller ones are not Tulibee, they are lake Herring, when we first caught them there last year i thought right away they were just small tulibee...learn't later that they were Herring (they seem much smaller than tulibee we've caught before??)

They are all one and the same - "tullibee" aka "lake herring" aka "northern cisco" are just common names for the species Coregonus artedi.

Offline Deeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:30 PM »
 Huh??? Thanks for that info Justin...now i'm confused??  I looked it up on Google and sure enough that's what i got too???They sure look different from the tulibee we've caught before in the Whiteshell....I wonder if there are a few different types perhaps?

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2007, 03:44 PM »
From the Freshwater Fishes of Manitoba, it refers to two varieties of cisco, plus a dwarf variety.  When I've seen Italo Labignan on TV ice fishing for "herring" I thought they looked a lot like tullibee.  It seems to me I've seen a reference somewhere, but I'm not sure where. 

Ah, here we go...according to Lake, River & Sea-Run Fishes of Canada (Frederick H. Wooding), lake herring and tullibee are common names for cisco (Coregonus artedi), of the order Salmoniformes.

Derek

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Huh??? Thanks for that info Justin...now i'm confused??  I looked it up on Google and sure enough that's what i got too???They sure look different from the tulibee we've caught before in the Whiteshell....I wonder if there are a few different types perhaps?

There seems to be a few different variations. Some lakes only have dwarf varieties, while others grow the large deep bodied "tullibees" that we are familiar with. Despite the differences in appearance, they are technically the same species of fish - Coregonus artedi.

Officially they are called "northern cisco", but most know them as "tullibee" or simply "cisco" (and in some places, "lake herring"). 

Offline chrism

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2007, 12:51 AM »
Hey Deeker
Nice catch!
Uhmmmm.... when I blow up that pic, those look like tulibeee to me - but I'm not sure - their mouths don't look like a whitefish - here's a whitefish mouth - can you clarify? The small ones are without a doubt tulibee. The tulibee also have black fins, which whitey's do not... Regardless, nice catch!!!
Thanks
Chrism

Whitefish

Tulibee

Offline fish-slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go big or go home.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:22 AM »
Nice whites guys good job. :o :o
TEAM BC

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:25 AM »
Those are definitely lake whitefish.

The mouths on the fish in that picture are classic examples... and they do get dark gray/black fins. ???

Offline chrism

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2007, 01:37 AM »
Like I say, perhaps I am wrong... but I just can't see an overbite on any of those fish - even when blown up and tuned on photoshop, they all still have underbites. I would just like to see for my own clarification, as there seems to be a few kinds (size wise) of each fish in this province. For example, a concern I have is that the Master Angler size for tulibee - Does it take into account the different tulibee in the province? How can it? I have yet to see more than three tulibee caught on cedar lake that were not master angler size - they are all 16.5 - 19 inches... this can't be the same tulibee that the guide is referring to - that would be way too easy!

I will dig up some vids of each fish found in Cedar and post them - maybe they'll show the differece in the fin coloration - and again, maybe that is specific to that watershed - I will say I have only seen whiteys and tulibee from a few lakes - Last Mountain, Lake Manitoba, and Cedar lake.

Food for thought!

chrism

grumpymoe

« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2007, 05:42 AM »
interesting.....a whitefish debate  ;D ;D   here's a couple of whities from Clear Lake showing the classic overbite...click on the link...Grump

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2007, 09:00 AM »
I have yet to see more than three tulibee caught on cedar lake that were not master angler size - they are all 16.5 - 19 inches... this can't be the same tulibee that the guide is referring to - that would be way too easy!

Well, if you spent more time outside instead of watching the videos  ::) ;D  I know I caught 2 or 3 in April that weren't MAs.  That being said, before the dam went up, there were dwarved tullibees in Cedar as well as the "normal" ones.  They can also hybridize with whitefish, so there is some speculation that Cedar effectively has its own subspecies.

I have yet to see one from, say, Lake Manitoba that was anywhere near MA size, although there are big ones in the Whiteshell.

Sounds like we need to have a debate over coffee or a beer sometime soon  8) ;)
Derek

Offline SK Justin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2007, 10:19 PM »
interesting.....a whitefish debate  ;D ;D   here's a couple of whities from Clear Lake showing the classic overbite...click on the link...Grump

Those fish have quite dark fins as well.

I would just like to see for my own clarification, as there seems to be a few kinds (size wise) of each fish in this province. For example, a concern I have is that the Master Angler size for tulibee - Does it take into account the different tulibee in the province? How can it? I have yet to see more than three tulibee caught on cedar lake that were not master angler size - they are all 16.5 - 19 inches... this can't be the same tulibee that the guide is referring to - that would be way too easy!

Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts, a tullibee is a tullibee wherever they live despite some variations between water bodies. Just like with other species of fish, some lakes will tend to grow them bigger than others. Cedar Lake must just be one of those lakes - it would be comparable to what the Red River is for channel catfish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.