Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

Scouting Report

(1/1)

bogtrotter:
I just got back from checking the ice (and doing some half-hearted jigging) on three ponds in the "hilltowns" that straddle western Hampshire and northern Berkshire Counties this morning:

(1) Dukes (a/k/a Windsor) Pond in Windsor
(2) Plainfield Pond in Plainfield
(3) Burnett's Pond in Savoy

The weather was overcast and chilly (about 30 degrees), and toward the end it started snowing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ice conditions on all three ponds. 

The edges were solid, and the top "crust" was strong enough to hold my weight above the watery/slushy layer below. 

All together, there seemed to be 15+ inches of ice at all three ponds.

Burnett's had some surprisingly large partially frozen-over holes that were a bit concerning - - although when I chopped through at least some of them, I found the hole didn't "go all the way through," but had another layer of ice under the watery slush.

For the record, my brief attempts at jigging produced a small (11") brown at Dukes Pond and a tiny (5") perch - - plus one solid strike and a couple lighter taps that did not yield any fish - - at Plainfield.

Now I'm off to quaff some beers and schmooze with the hoi polloi at Thunderfest.  Cheers!   

BASSQUATCH:
How was the snow getting to the ice at Plainfield? Last I heard from a friend from last weekend, it was DEEP . Especially the plow pile .

bogtrotter:

--- Quote from: BASSQUATCH on Mar 25, 2023, 12:05 PM ---How was the snow getting to the ice at Plainfield? Last I heard from a friend from last weekend, it was DEEP . Especially the plow pile .
[/qu

Not too bad. 

There was a bit of a "snow mountain" between the parking lot and the pond, where the plows piled the snow.

But the snow has formed a crust which is (generally) hard enough to support miy weight (I'm 160 pounds) - - as long as you follow the "path" that at least a few people appear to have taken since the storm.
--- End quote ---

IceDog88:
Nice report and that you’re still at it. I officially stopped a week ago. Good luck on your next trip.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version