New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

Panfish rod length?

(1/2) > >>

Steve H.:
23, 27, or 30" for an ultralight panfish rod? Looking to upgrade this season.

I don't have a flip over, so that tight space isn't a concern.  I generally like shorter rods (sitting closer to the hole) but curious of any benefits of the longer rods.

mofishin:
For pan fish it won’t really matter that much. Typically the longer the rod the better it absorbs big head shakes. That won’t be too much of a concern with panfish though.

Ruimachado:
I love my 36" deadmeat for perch and crappie, but for those picky eaters I go to my 28" inline with a spring tip, can never beat the sensitivity of a spring.
I fish with all sizes of rods for panfish, from 19"rods sight fishing to 36" rod standing on the ice, I prefer a longer rod because I stand mostly and can get a better hookset, but if you sit a lot a shorter rod is not a bad option. 

Steve H.:
Thanks guys.  Currently I'm using a spring on a cheap rod.  Catches fish but hate messing with the spring all the time.  I know that the Pickle Stick is lower than the proverbial hotdog on this site but my brother has one and the flat tip is impressively sensitive without needing a spring.  And he catches a ton of fish.

Not sure what I'm going with or even what action, as there's UL and ultra-UL nowadays.  Just curious on what you thought about length.

PoolGuy:
I have a couple of 28” medium action rods I use constantly….they handle big crappie an white perch with no problem…
This season I’m looking at a Clam 32” Katana rod..medium action see how that goes…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version