Author Topic: Lake Diefenbaker 2022-2023  (Read 19975 times)

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Diefenbaker 2022-2023
« Reply #60 on: Feb 23, 2023, 01:02 PM »
My next door neighbor is an avid walleye fisherman who gets tons of 10-pound walleyes in the summer.

Around 2015ish, he iced a lake trout from 20ish feet of water. He said it's a surprise catch.

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Feb 23, 2023, 01:44 PM »
Somebody posted this year on fb they had caught  a laker on dief not sure if it was bs or real.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #62 on: Feb 23, 2023, 05:34 PM »
Nicely colored pike Shawno, it's better than a skunk for sure. :tipup:

Too bad the culture station would not try stocking lake trout at Def for a few years, and, see how it goes, or alternately stock splake, or, something like that. :-\

WW

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #63 on: Feb 23, 2023, 08:14 PM »
I did manage to catch 2 lake trout in Diefenbaker in the late 70's early 80's. One was 8 lbs and the other 13.75 lbs. One was caught in Elbow Harbour and the other out of Tufts Bay. They were stocked into the lake in the early to mid 70's. I personally have not heard of any being caught in probably the past 10 years. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I think there is a good possibility of some still being around.

Offline Ecoman53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 26, 2023, 07:28 AM »
As the lota lota man replied about catching Lake Trout, there was attempts to stock them in Diefenbaker. There were a few problems; but the main issue... They are late fall to early winter spawners in shallow gravel to cobble shoals in lakes.  Diefenbaker has a tremendous drawdown in winter and that leaves the eggs high and frozen..before they can hatch..😭

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 26, 2023, 11:31 AM »
Anyone know if the burbs are bangin yet? That should be starting up here right away.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Mar 07, 2023, 10:07 AM »
I'm hoping to go out on friday looking for some Burbot. Has anyone been nailing them? I hope the spawn is going on right now.

Anyone know if access by the visitor center is good right now? I'd assume most snow is gone but the ice is ok?

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #67 on: Mar 07, 2023, 11:37 AM »
So far Hatandboots, it is has been very quiet.  I've heard people have been catching the odd one here and there, but as of today....the spawn is definitely not on.  With the warmer temps coming though in the next couple weeks, hopefully things will pick up.  Fishing in general has been unusually slow at Dief this year.  Maybe its just me :) haha 

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 07, 2023, 05:41 PM »
So far Hatandboots, it is has been very quiet.  I've heard people have been catching the odd one here and there, but as of today....the spawn is definitely not on.  With the warmer temps coming though in the next couple weeks, hopefully things will pick up.  Fishing in general has been unusually slow at Dief this year.  Maybe its just me :) haha

Thanks for the info Shawno, maybe I won't go out this Friday. Fishing on dief has indeed been slow for me too. I had big plans to fish dief hard this year but my effort really hasn't been worth it yet.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Mar 08, 2023, 09:58 PM »
We launched out of Elbow today and ended up having a pretty good day of it. We found a few walleye in one of the bays. The fish were deep, and not concentrated, but the ones that came by were aggressive. Mid afternoon we changed locations and found whitefish all over the camera at 30 feet. Once we figured out what they wanted, it was game on! We hung in until dark hoping for a good burbot bite, but only one baby burb bit.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 09, 2023, 07:36 AM »
I'm hoping to go out on friday looking for some Burbot. Has anyone been nailing them? I hope the spawn is going on right now.

Anyone know if access by the visitor center is good right now? I'd assume most snow is gone but the ice is ok?
[ /quote]

Been down to Diefenbaker 3 times over the last 2 weeks. We have only caught 2 burbot off Danielson launch and none at Elbow. Both were in the 6 lb range. Perch were there but not too numerous in the camera. The ones we did catch were a nice size. One was a hair under 14 inches. All caught off Danielson. Elbow was extremely disapointing and we will not drive the extra kilometers down there again this winter.   
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #71 on: Mar 09, 2023, 09:50 AM »
Thanks everyone for the reports...much appreciated.  I am hoping to get out one more time myself before the end of the season.  Thinking the 18th.  I will report back as well.  :tipup:

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Mar 17, 2023, 01:34 PM »
Made it out to Dief yesterday, Elbow area, on off snow,not much wind
 Set up over 30' and didn't see much action I set up a jacker in 23' and caught a small pike in minutes then some large perch. I moved and fished the rest of the day in this hole caught 11 perch and a burbot to finish the day off. All released. The burbot bite hasn't bin the same as other years. All in all ok day.

Offline whitetip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Mar 17, 2023, 11:52 PM »
Curious has anyone drive from the riverhurst ferry to the fish farm on the lake this time of year. Thinking about doing that drive next weekend.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Mar 25, 2023, 10:40 AM »
Another round of playing "Where's Walter" yesterday. Pike had the tip ups flagging and the burbot were happily munching mushy minnows.
Other than one hit and run that felt a lot like a walleye hitting the dinner bell, no spiny backs made it topside. Maybe next time..........

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 27, 2023, 11:27 PM »
Well Walter finally came out of hiding this evening and provided an hour and a half of lure bumping, minnow stealing, hook spitting, escape at the hole fun. It might have been a good time for a stinger hook on the minnow as the thievery was truly impressive. Minnow heads and tails were slurped off with barely an indication. Even waiting an extra couple of seconds after the bite didn't guarantee a solid hook set. In the end, a perch eyeball was the undoing of the two that ultimately accepted my dinner invitation.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Mar 28, 2023, 09:11 AM »
Nice fish speck. Sounds like it’s still a pretty tough bite out there from what I’ve heard. Fish don’t seem to be in the pre spawn feeding mode yet. Maybe our really late spring has something to do with it?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 28, 2023, 04:56 PM »
Good question Farmboy. My eaters were a pair of chunky 15 inch males that look as though they have been doing pretty well.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #78 on: Mar 29, 2023, 01:05 PM »
I made it out one last time this past Saturday.  Ice was still plenty thick ( need ext. ) and solid.  Lots of guys driving around still.  Finally connected with a few Burbot.  They didn't appear to be in a spawning mood...so not exactly sure if it hasn't happened yet or was over quite sometime ago. Anyways, caught enough for a fish fry, so it was a successful trip.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Apr 01, 2023, 08:40 AM »
We ended the season on Dief hoping for a strong evening bite. With the camera down, we were treated to the thrill of a 20 inch walleye charging in and smashing my lure. Only one other aggressive walleye offered itself up along with a feisty burbot. More pecks and bumps kept us on the edge of our ice chairs, but the hoped for hot action never materialized.

As we packed up the gear and folded up the new Outbreak 450 (a definite upgrade) we reflected that this was just "one of those years". While the fish might not be smarter than us, there is still plenty to learn.

Here's hoping everyone had a good year, and we will see you on the ice come November.

Now, how many sleeps until open water season?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.