The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: JUNK ON THE ICE  (Read 2722 times)

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
JUNK ON THE ICE
« on: Mar 15, 2022, 03:21 PM »
I posted this subject on anther topic I started. Then I thought it was to big to hide in another topic... IT needed its own because it really HIT HOME with me and what I have seen in my years of ice fishing.. Bonfires /Parties...you have seen it all  and we try to  use auger out there/???I see those slides piled high with stuff I have lost a few things myself going over those humps...Right??...What do you think? am I right?? ??? I got a NEW Electric Auger and I remember of days gone by running into some metal at the OXBOW and did a number to the blades on my new power strikemaster.....Grrrr rrrr.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: JUNK ON THE ICE
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2022, 06:24 PM »
For the legal eagles...there is a $6000.$15,000 fine for garbage on/near inland water ways (chap270 sect 16)I think and EP would if he was TOUGH come down on you on this topic. I said in the other topic that I came upon a bonfire ashes with about a couple of pounds of 3" NAILS in it and was  1 ft pile...

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2022, 07:09 PM »
Yes, I think we as fisherman in over the years have seen about every kind of trash on the ice or frozen down into it. I would hope to think that the bonfire stuff is mostly from non- fishermen. I think one of the worst tragedies that I ever came across on the ice was a pile of burnt up tire remains and all of the steel braid wire. Not good for the environment and definitely would kill your auger if you hit that under the ice and have that tangled mess to get out of. Never ending unfortunately.

Offline tomb raider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2022, 07:17 PM »
Seen it for years. Especially at Cheshire Res. Pretty sad.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2022, 08:18 PM »
Good post, Ron.

Always make it a priority to clean up on the ice. Whenever a fire is had I like to keep it in a pit and dispose of the ashes away from the ice.

The trash piles are on a whole other level though… that is simply a level of disrespect towards nature that makes us look bad as sportsmen.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2022, 05:29 AM »
For the legal eagles...there is a $6000.$15,000 fine for garbage on/near inland water ways (chap270 sect 16)I think and EP would if he was TOUGH come down on you on this topic. I said in the other topic that I came upon a bonfire ashes with about a couple of pounds of 3" NAILS in it and was  1 ft pile...

What EPO?  Havent been checked in mass my entire life outside of the res's.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2022, 05:52 AM »
An Iceshanty reg. called REDGIANT in another topic Corn under the ice not the real killer.mention that he /buddy were checked out by a EPO over a pile off burnt ashes /junk on Forge Pond in Granby on a complaint??? That was 2 yrs. ago...Th couple lbs. of nails in a bonfire ash I nmention was also at Forge Pond THIS yr....It seems it a case of 'Monkey see...Monkey DO!! or the same bunch??? But, an I say But...BONFIRE ASH on ice  attracts the EPO's like flies to DoDo in the good old summer time....LOL

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2022, 06:48 PM »
And EPO is  short for ENVIROMENTAL POLICE OFFICER'I have been checked 5 times in this GREAT state....once in CT. and once in VT.Of the 5 times in this state 3 were ice fishing....one duck hunting  one deer..archery..I'm out with MOTHER NATURE  she is my second wife..LOL

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Seen it for years. Especially at Cheshire Res. Pretty sad.

When I went to Cheshire earlier this season I was surprised at the amount of garbage left on the ice. Seemed like several different groups of people (based on the location) all had the same idea to leave their trash behind.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2022, 03:35 AM »
I think Junk On The Ice People are the same PEOPLE who leave JUNK ON THE SHORE.A couple of yrs, back I saw in a pile of ashes a burnt PROPANE TANK  ???SI don't know where its going to end....If you say something  Your a bad guy...party popper,etc. and you feel like a RAT if you flip the cell phone a hit EPO #.Well its the end of the Ice season and know the JUNK ON THE SHORE begins.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2022, 03:58 AM »
Saw a guy once bank fishing on a Mass pond that had just bought some tackle at Walmart. He left his empty Walmart bag right where he stood on the ground fishing along with the lure containers. I was flabbergasted. I wanted to confront him on it but you never know what you will run into.  I spend time on this pond every year when I show up picking up trash. Had a guy fishing look at me like there was something wrong with me for doing that.  I just don't get it.

Just so you know I'm not picking on Mass. I see this in my home state too. The public accesses have everything from fishing line to coffee cups, bait containers, and used condoms from people that park there at night on one local lake that has an isolated public access.

Sadly I think it is up to us tooth's of us that don't trash the lakes  keep our lakes clean. I bring a trash bag whenever I go fishing now.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Atta Boy!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2022, 02:28 PM »
Leave it as you found it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.