The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vexilar Flashers  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar Flashers
« on: Mar 12, 2022, 09:55 PM »
A little background about me. I got back into ice fishing after a 30 something year break after retiring in January. I’ve been basically winging it with a handheld GPS with a Navionics mapping card to guesstimate depth.

I’m not new to fishing electronics as I have two Humminbird side imaging graphs on my boat.

That all said, I want to get a flasher later this year for next ice fishing season. Vexilar seems to be a popular brand. Given a choice, any reason not to get the FLX-30 compared to the FLX-28 or an other model? Thanks for any input.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Vexilar Flashers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2022, 04:05 AM »
The FL18 model with the DD100 paired with a 12 deg transducer is the work horse of the Vexilar line up ..easy to use . The higher end units do have some bells and whistle that are nice ..but not super necessary. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2022, 04:23 AM »
The FL18 model with the DD100 paired with a 12 deg transducer is the work horse of the Vexilar line up ..easy to use . The higher end units do have some bells and whistle that are nice ..but not super necessary.

X2^^
My Fl-18 is a solid unit. Does everything I need it for.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2022, 04:34 AM »
X3 my fl-18 has been a reliable workhorse for many years. Thought about upgrading to the 30bb or flx-28 but why switch if it still works good.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline QuinnTheEskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:10 AM »
I was in the market for a new flasher this year, went back and forth and eventually bought an FLX28 and after using it for a season I really wish I had the option to change cone angles for various water depths.  I will probably buy a 30 before next season and keep the 28 in reserve. 

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2022, 09:07 AM »
Bob - Not that familiar with the flx 30 but one big difference is cost. I paid $425 ish from Reeds pre season sale flx20 propack.
Granted the 20 has the 12 degree ducer which is good mid range ducer but not without limitations. 28 has the two tier ducer more bells and whistles
everything is automatic. I am happy with flx20 and unit is bulletproof as advertised. 
I see the 30's are closer to $800. I also retired recently and fish 15-20 times a winter before heading to FL. 

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2022, 09:17 AM »
I have one of the last FL-20 units that shipped with a Tri-beam transducer.  The ability to change cone angles is really useful.  From eliminating clutter when fishing weed beds to watching a flutter spoon at 100 feet, those units get it done.

The only downside to the FLX-30 is cost.  But, it's the only Vexilar unit I'd upgrade to.

Also consider the Marcum LX-7 with the lithium shuttle.  It's dual beam at 8/20.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2022, 09:36 AM »
Bought the fl18 this year and I love it. Purchased after using one with a friend who had the 28. The features on the higher models are nice but not what I considered necessary for what I do especially for the 200+$ price difference. If money isn’t an issue than by all means get the nicer models however if your mainly ice fishing with it in 200’ of less of water the fl18 will be all you need. Whichever you buy you won’t regret it   Vexilar has a you tube channel where they explain what features come with what models and it was very helpful in making my decision as we’re all the anglers on this forum

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2022, 10:01 AM »
The other factor to consider is the case Genz pack ..Pro Pack...Ultra pack. I like the Ultra pack gets the Vexilar unit up a little bit ..no neck strain ...also fits in a 5-7 gallon bucket as does the Pro Pack ...great for traveling on rough and long treks . As for the bag I really like the Trophy Angler electronics bag..I have the older version on my Ultra Pack which works just fine but my buddy has the newer version for his FL18 Pro Pack and it is a little bigger  . My other buddy has the TA  bag for his Genz Pack and he like it as well .

The 12 deg transducer is an all around good choice ..the 19 deg is good if your lake(s) tend to be shollower..the 9 deg for deeper waters

2:30 mark

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2022, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice. A friend of mine bought an FLX-30 Pro Pack new last Fall for this ice fishing season. He hasn’t been out lately and told me he might sell it as he needs cash for something else. He confirmed he wanted to sell it this morning and I picked it up this afternoon after I got done fishing.

It came with the soft case, glow ring and a transducer support arm. I took the glow ring off as I have no UV type jigs, etc. I look forward to using it tomorrow.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2022, 05:19 PM »
Congrats, hope you get years of enjoyment an you will catch more fish.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2022, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and advice. A friend of mine bought an FLX-30 Pro Pack new last Fall for this ice fishing season. He hasn’t been out lately and told me he might sell it as he needs cash for something else. He confirmed he wanted to sell it this morning and I picked it up this afternoon after I got done fishing.

It came with the soft case, glow ring and a transducer support arm. I took the glow ring off as I have no UV type jigs, etc. I look forward to using it tomorrow.

Good luck with your purchase ..glow jigs are just another tool in your arsenal ..and very well could be a game changer . That ring charges them very well.

Offline FENNDANGO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2022, 09:15 PM »
One of those models I couldn't find for sale online. Maybe the 18? Or 12?

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2022, 07:51 PM »
Fished for white perch today and used the FLX-30 for the first time. It was nice to know the actual depth and see the perch. I didn’t catch any more than the others around me that were catching them like crazy but it was also my first time partaking in the white perch migration extravaganza in St. Albans Bay.

I was struggling after I caught a few and one of the other guys gave me a forage jig. I put an eye on it and my catch rate increased. It was a good day.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2022, 06:47 AM »
Fished for white perch today and used the FLX-30 for the first time. It was nice to know the actual depth and see the perch. I didn’t catch any more than the others around me that were catching them like crazy but it was also my first time partaking in the white perch migration extravaganza in St. Albans Bay.

I was struggling after I caught a few and one of the other guys gave me a forage jig. I put an eye on it and my catch rate increased. It was a good day.

Nothing like getting and playing with your new toy and catching fish.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2022, 10:18 AM »
Try jigging a couple of feet above the school, the aggressive fish will come up fast and hit. I tend to catch more fishing above them than just dropping in to the middle of the fish.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2022, 10:36 AM »
I am not a fan of the flashers that only show you the instant readout. I have a Humminbird Helix 5, which can do that same circular style flasher mode, if you're used to that, but I prefer the mode that shows you the instant readout as a vertical bar on the right side, then has the right to left scrolling chart of that readout running constantly. Been too many times where I've had a fish suddenly come up to the same level as my jig (thus hiding it) when I wasn't paying attention, only to realize it is there after I reel up, and suddenly there's two lines instead of one. With the graph readout you see what has been happening for the last 20 seconds or so, so even if you look away and look back, you can see if a fish swam up or down to the same level as your jig. I think the instant readout being displayed vertically versus around a circle is just more intuitive as well.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2022, 12:55 PM »
Try jigging a couple of feet above the school, the aggressive fish will come up fast and hit. I tend to catch more fishing above them than just dropping in to the middle of the fish.

Thanks for the tips.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2022, 05:34 AM »
I am not a fan of the flashers that only show you the instant readout. I have a Humminbird Helix 5, which can do that same circular style flasher mode, if you're used to that, but I prefer the mode that shows you the instant readout as a vertical bar on the right side, then has the right to left scrolling chart of that readout running constantly. Been too many times where I've had a fish suddenly come up to the same level as my jig (thus hiding it) when I wasn't paying attention, only to realize it is there after I reel up, and suddenly there's two lines instead of one. With the graph readout you see what has been happening for the last 20 seconds or so, so even if you look away and look back, you can see if a fish swam up or down to the same level as your jig. I think the instant readout being displayed vertically versus around a circle is just more intuitive as well.

Why I rock livescope and boy did the laker count increase then! 

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2022, 09:13 AM »

I 2nd this opinion, I use a Garmin Striker4 portable with ice ducer, my old Marcum VX-1P is gathering dust...
Garmin has same features as Humminbird Helix with A-scope & seeing the history graph is like he said you can see a fish at your bait.
Also these modern digital finders appear to not get much interference from the old style flashers, but my VX-1P bothers those with Vex terrible, have to gain way down.
Fro the price point, I'd steer clear of Vex and go with Helix or Striker4 IMO.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2022, 09:22 AM »

Also these modern digital finders appear to not get much interference from the old style flashers, but my VX-1P bothers those with Vex terrible, have to gain way down.

What does gain way down mean?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2022, 09:26 AM »
Lower sensitivity

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2022, 09:29 AM »
Lower sensitivity
So he lowers his gain because his sonar is interfering with other sonars?

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2022, 09:45 AM »
The receivers sensitivity.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2022, 10:02 AM »
The receivers sensitivity.
There are some who seem to think that gain controls the output signal. That is what I was trying to find out. ;)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2022, 10:14 AM »
There are some who seem to think that gain controls the output signal. That is what I was trying to find out. ;)
I've seen a number of people who say they like to "crank the gain" in order to cause interference if someone is fishing too close to them. Sounds like you've seen the same thing, always good for a laugh when you mention how it actually works but they swear up and down they are really sticking it to those people who dare to fish too close to them.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2022, 10:17 AM »
if a person can find one, the fl-22 has a tri beam transducer as well. I have one and frankly if I happened to forget it at home when headed out fishing, I would return home to get it. Other than a case of operator error shortly after I got it, have had absolutely no issues with the unit.

I am not sure if I would spend the money to upgrade to the 28 or the 30. My brother bought the 28 after he saw my 22 and I like mine better, but maybe I'm a bit biased. Full Disclosure, I have not seen a 30 in operation at this point.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2022, 10:28 AM »
Gain is the receiver sensitivity. On a flasher optimum gain is at the lowest setting that you see your jig, bottom and targets. You are tailoring your receivers sensitivity to optimize what you want to focus on. Although reducing gain will also seem to reduce some electronic interference that’s not really its function. It’s not the same as interference rejection.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2022, 10:36 AM »
I've seen a number of people who say they like to "crank the gain" in order to cause interference if someone is fishing too close to them. Sounds like you've seen the same thing, always good for a laugh when you mention how it actually works but they swear up and down they are really sticking it to those people who dare to fish too close to them.
That's what I was trying to find out.  ::)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #29 on: Mar 17, 2022, 10:40 AM »
Gain is the receiver sensitivity. On a flasher optimum gain is at the lowest setting that you see your jig, bottom and targets. You are tailoring your receivers sensitivity to optimize what you want to focus on. Although reducing gain will also seem to reduce some electronic interference that’s not really its function. It’s not the same as interference rejection.
I understand all of this. No problem here. I was asking what mudchuck meant by what he stated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.