Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

Electric Drill Auger ....Type for a grumpy old man

(1/6) > >>

ronbgood55:
Hi guys...age is taking its foll on me. I still punch 6/7 holes each trip with my 5" auger . I had spuds from 1940 Ford rear axles, straight blade auger spoon auger and 8" Jiffy which I gave away to my grandsons. An electric drill  seems right up my alley , The grill type I have NO experience with that is why I'm reaching out to you guys for some in puts. I don't need a Cadillac type at 84 yrs. old I just want something that is better than man power..If you get with what I mean.nothing to beak the bank but gets the job done.....Take Care

PerchMan45:
Good on you for getting out at 84. That’s something to be proud of.

Electric augers are a big cost but they are definitely the best option. I do not personally own one but plan on getting one soon to replace gas/hand. The Ion augers are the top of the line but they run upwards of $800. I have a friend that swears by Strikemaster electric augers those are probably the next grade down from Ion. Thunder Bay electric I am not familiar with but are cheaper than Ion and Strikemaster.

lowaccord66:
Ron I like reading that you get out there still.  Would recommend a brushless drill for sure and a clam plate to protect from sudden shock from the drill so you dont risk your wrists. 

tomb raider:
Don’t know where you live but since you ice fish Forge pond in Granby. I’m guessing you live in the general area.Go see Paul or his kids at Granby Bait. I’m pretty sure they will put you on one that won’t break your bank.

Chawk190:

--- Quote from: lowaccord66 on Mar 10, 2022, 06:54 PM ---Ron I like reading that you get out there still.  Would recommend a brushless drill for sure and a clam plate to protect from sudden shock from the drill so you dont risk your wrists.

--- End quote ---

Exactly as lowaccord said above. Only thing I have to add is get a composite auger bit too. You can have speed and power for about what a 6” hand auger weighs. My kids bought me a Dewalt DCD999 Flexvolt and an 8” Eskimo pistol bit. With the 6AH Flexvolt battery the combo weighs about the same as my 6” Mora3 steel hand auger. I don’t have a clam plate but I believe they don’t add much more than a pound. For reason of wrist protection as lowaccord mentioned it’s a worthwhile addition. I probably should get one but I’m a stubborn dumbass 65 y.o. “Yute”.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version