Author Topic: Kuhn  (Read 3404 times)

Offline icehog92

• IceShanty Rookie
Kuhn
« on: Feb 19, 2022, 05:19 PM »
Anyone been to Kuhn since the big rain/ thaw?

Curious if channels are safe or not, have a place to park.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Kuhn
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2022, 06:56 AM »
take spud and go fish man.

anything left in there after the burn a year or 2 ago? lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2022, 07:52 AM »
I live on Kuhn. The ice is good but the water is way up. Fishing has been terrible as it got beat to death last year! I fish it during the week when I have the itch but go to other more productive waters on the weekends.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2022, 05:58 AM »
thats a shame what happened there.  i feel for ya wallydiven.  seen it happen around here too.  i hear fakebook is a huge problem now too.  its not just sites like this hurting fisheries now.

OANN the real story

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2022, 02:18 PM »
With 90% of fisherman with some sort of flasher or fish locator and hole hoping and taking 25 to 30 each outing some of your smaller lakes definitely loose there fare share of quality fish.They can’t come back right away.I could see a benifit for some kind of limit but just my opinion.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2022, 05:24 PM »
After that pounding last winter, the fishing last summer was very poor.  Got to the point my brother (who has a place on Kuhn) quit going out.  I've seen it happenbefore.  Sad

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2022, 11:24 AM »
With 90% of fisherman with some sort of flasher or fish locator and hole hoping and taking 25 to 30 each outing some of your smaller lakes definitely loose there fare share of quality fish.They can’t come back right away.I could see a benifit for some kind of limit but just my opinion.
A guy on the slip last night mentioned a gill limit to me. I'm good with it.
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Idk much about this lake but it appears to me it’s connected to other lakes.  So it may recover faster.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2022, 07:51 AM »
walleyedan will have to let us know.  its not a small lake so it should come back fast enough. panfish are pretty prolific(why we dont need a gill limit) and bounce back. just sad to see happen to any lake.  i often wonder what blue lk bassins like these days.  an article in a fishing mag ruined that(small lake) for 2 yrs and thats just what i was told about the parking. i cant imagine the bass fishing being the "bass heaven" or whatever that article was called before that!  crazy amount of scavengers out there anymore.

OANN the real story

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:04 AM »
8 replies out of over 1100 views.  still a ton of lurkers waiting to pounce on your lake wallydiven.  lol  i think someone called it "internet rotenone" last year.  sounds about rite.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:29 PM »
If a person thinks a lake can bounce back in a couple years take a look at Diamond lake by Ligonier. Word got out about the smallies and crappie years past and that lake got pounded. Couldn't find a place to park when there was a time one wouldn't see another boat on the lake besides those who resided there. Fished it two years past with a nephew and still not the same.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2022, 03:59 AM »
true that kevs.  but diamond lk is only 79 acres and your talking crappie.  large crappie can be wiped out by loose lips. especially on sites like this and FB!  and they already have a 25 limit.  even that cant save them from a hoard of hundreds of "spot snipers". 

bigger lakes and gills aren't as vulnerable.  pressure can still lower numbers.  they should bounce back with all the spawning they do.  gill limit is not needed here imo.  i hear people talk about gill limits on here that hardly even fish.  if they got out and actually fished they would find a bounty of large gills n our state.  you just have to put in the effort to find the lakes that are producing.  you cant just lurk on here and expect to go cash in on someone else's hard work and time put into finding them for you.  most have learned that lesson, or read about it on here already.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2022, 09:31 PM »
RS I believe it is more of a lake by lake basis. State/DNR should bring back creel surveys and let college students do it for credits or grades. Not enough being done now to monitor what is being harvested from the lakes and rivers. Around 1978 there was a fish kill in the St Marys river in the Fort. I can remember peoples disbelief at the number of, size and type of fish that were visible after dying. Nobody knew all those fish existed in the river. I think its that way in many lakes.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2022, 11:14 AM »
yes i agree to that also.  different types of lakes reproduce at different rates.  some of our lakes are very fertile and produce tens od thousands of harvested gills every year without a hitch.  other more infertile lakes seem more void of mass populations.  they tend to be very deep clear and rocky.  whereas the fertile lakes are more shallow and weedy.  if they ever do a gill limit it should geared towards those infertile lakes only.  not many of those i can think of though.

angler surveys arent a good way to tell whats been taken.  most people will either over exaggerate or under exaggerate what they caught.  be like going off the info from a bait shop.  most people are smarter than to spill the beans on their honey hole to a bait shop or taxidermist.  surveyors aren't there 24hr a day either.  at night thousands of crappie are pulled from out waters that would never get included.

your also spot on that most people dont have a clue to what swims in our waters. way more fish out there than most can imagine!  i hear the gill limit preached about by angler that only fish a few dozen times a year.  what do they know.  ::)  i know old timers that harvest upwards of 4-5 thousand gills a year. (and thats conservative(oops hope i can use that word on here) ;D guesstimate ) they sure dont see a lack of harvestable fish.

Offline Michigan Slim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Michigander by birth, Hoosier by force!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2022, 01:58 PM »
Elkhart did some electroshocking on the Saint Joseph in the late 90's when I worked for the city. I couldn't believe the size and number of fish they brought out of that river. The biologist even found a brook trout stream!
Heart in Michigan. Stuck in Indiana.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.