New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131495 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #810 on: Feb 05, 2023, 04:34 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Great day on the ice. I had a lot of company out there today. Temps were about 40 degrees at noon. Wind was light to moderate. I accessed at WigWam. The ramp was still holding up @ 3 when I left. Great bite day, unfortunately, 95% were dinks.

Ice is holding up well. Little slippery and guess who didn’t wear his Katoola’s? Lucky I didn’t fall and break a hip or something. Ran into a lot of my younger friends from Fulton. That’s not hard. Everyone is younger than me in Fulton.😁

Got to clean some fish now. Stay safe my friends. All for now.
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #811 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:29 PM »
New Old Guy/Bogey , glad you got the hot water supply pipes thawed and had no leaks or breaks . congratulations to you and all who attended the Mad River contest bless you all for going out and fishing in those temperatures and windchills . Enjoy the Caty Jigs . Glad you did not fall during today's trip sounds like some fish dinners in your future. Thank you for keeping people informed on Sandy Pond ice conditions and contests in the area.

Arkangel happy to read you also got your pipes thawed and have no problems.

Steve

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #812 on: Feb 06, 2023, 05:57 AM »
Yo mr.clean,

Thanks for the kind words. It is my goal to bring our wonderful Sandy Pond fishing community to the forefront in all my posts with warm and folksy stories and  hopefully some informative descriptions of the conditions here on the Pond.

Your favorable comments not withstanding, I am glad and appreciative we are getting the message out. This thread and my PM’s are always available for those seeking conditions , business and lodging for the greater Sandy Pond area. Thanks again.

Yo Trapper, we are long overdue for a fishing foray out on the Pond. The Sandy Creek Fire Dept. Derby this coming Saturday sounds like that perfect time to do so. Fish fry at my camp after the awards. Maybe some Chili too. Hope to get a lot of participants out for this worthy Fishing Derby

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #813 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:38 AM »
Top of the morning boggey.
Love the stories as always. Kind of looking for a conditions report for mid week think of coming up Wednesday. Worried from stories I’m hearing that current is eating our ice.
Thanks
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #814 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:32 AM »
Yo beenperchen,
With these varying and warming temps, it is almost day by day guess as to weather and ice conditions.

I will say even with the warm temps yesterday it had little effect on the ice conditions short a little bit of slush where the minimal drifting had occurred. Ice was still over 7 inches where I cut holes. My biggest worry is the ramps and accesses holding up under heavy machine traffic.

I will post something this evening. Got lots of personal business to do this am. Stay safe my friend. PM me for specifics.
Boggey

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #815 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:28 AM »
Yo beenperchen,
With these varying and warming temps, it is almost day by day guess as to weather and ice conditions.

I will say even with the warm temps yesterday it had little effect on the ice conditions short a little bit of slush where the minimal drifting had occurred. Ice was still over 7 inches where I cut holes. My biggest worry is the ramps and accesses holding up under heavy machine traffic.

I will post something this evening. Got lots of personal business to do this am. Stay safe my friend. PM me for specifics.
Boggey
Sounds good. I appreciate it
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #816 on: Feb 06, 2023, 10:17 AM »
Hey Bogey my friend,
  As we talked about, similar pipe issues, got pretty cold Friday evening.  Sorry I didn't catch up with you yesterday, not due to lack of trying, I guess we have to get our "Bouyie's" straight next time, haha.  Sorry buddy,  but I was on foot and its quite a walk from the State launch to the rock pile,  ;D.  I did however meet up with some other friends and we had a productive day, as you said, several dinks, but well worth it.  I am happy to see that the pickerel population has dwindled or they have moved on as haven't seen one yet.  They were killing us last year.  The ice itself was amazing yesterday with all the noise and cracking.  I'll give you a shout this afternoon Jim.  Tight lines everyone!

:icefish:
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #817 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:35 PM »
New Old Guy/Bogey thank you for the compliment, you do a fine job of keeping folks advised of ice conditions and promoting the Sandy Pond area.
 Steve

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #818 on: Feb 07, 2023, 10:37 AM »
Hey all ...... planning to fish this weekends derby.  Where is the weigh-in?

Thanks and tight lines!

DAN

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #819 on: Feb 07, 2023, 03:13 PM »
Yo Irish
At the Sandy Pond Sportsmen’s Club and the Sandy Creek Bait & Tackle  Shop.

I will again post their flyer.

PM me if you have further questions
Boggey

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #820 on: Feb 07, 2023, 07:24 PM »
OK ... We stopped by the Bait & Tackle shop to register on the way back from Tupper Lake and I forgot to ask.  Wasn't sure from the flyer where the actual weigh-in is located.   We will be out of the Wigwam ..... looks like we might need skates out there after this week.

Thank you sir!

DAN

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #821 on: Feb 08, 2023, 06:27 AM »
Yo Dan,
I would say you are right. Never got below 33 last night. I checked the accesses and Ramps at 4:30 last evening . Still holding up. Did not fish yesterday. Not a lot of shanties out there due to the high winds coming out of the east.

Dr’s appointment this morning. Will cut holes fish and report this evening. Good luck my new friend and hope to meet you on the ice or at the awards when I take first place (biggest pike) :woot: :thumbsup:
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #822 on: Feb 08, 2023, 04:40 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

Didn’t get on the ice till noon. I met up with my bud Jigger who was walking off as I was getting on. Jigger said the morning bite was really slow, but he managed 4 perch which he kindly gave to me in hopes I would catch enough to make a meal.

The afternoon bite wasn’t much better but I stuck it out and managed an even dozen (counting Jiggers contribution). It was an absolutely beautiful day to be on the ice. Stiff winds gave way to a light breeze with cloudless bright blue skies.
Ice is holding up well. 1 inch of mealy granular snow on top of 8 inches of solid ice. Despite the slow bite it was a magnificent day to be on the ice. There were several machines on the ice as well as a permanent shanty straight out from the WigWam. All is well on the Pond. Let’s keep our fingers crossed tomorrows rain is not significant.
All for now.
Boggey

Watching tipdowns

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #823 on: Feb 08, 2023, 05:10 PM »
Great to run into you buddy,glad you got enough for a meal and let’s hope this warm spell doesn’t ruin it for this weekend.

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #824 on: Feb 08, 2023, 09:24 PM »
Thanks Bogey for the updates .... fingers crossed we can enjoy the Saturday.  I am sure your 2nd place pike will be a beauty  ;D :tipup:

DAN

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #825 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:17 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

A lot of rain has fallen obviously. Warm temps have prevailed 3 days in a row. Will do a once around ice check at noon. Will post shortly after. Good news is the temps are dropping overnight.
Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #826 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:40 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Did my ice check early. Yes it is windy out there. I made the tour de pond starting with Green Point. Talked with Cheryl and she said at present they are letting people on but that could change in a heart beat if the west winds raise the water level. Their ramp was in good shape and I cut a hole and measured several open holes. I found the Oce to be 7 inches or better all holes. One lone Pail sitter on the ice.

Next was the Elms. Ice has pulled away from the shore about 3 or 4 feet. There are walk around if you have to get on there.

Next was Stanley State access. Ice is starting to break away from shore about 2 to 3 feet. Again you can walk around but machines won’t be able to access from that ramp.

Walked out from the WigWam where I ran into 2 “real men”, Terry sr and Terry jr.  Pail sitters because they were afraid to open up the shanty for fear they would be chasing it all the way down to Blind Creek. I didn’t have to cut new holes. All of yesterday’s holes were still open. Thickness check average of multiple holes was 8 inches good solid ice . Lots of standing water. .
Ran into Bill, another real man ready to make his way out as I was coming off the ice. He is From Rochester and wasn’t about to let a gale or two to keep him from putting in a couple pike sets and doing some jigging.  Bill is an Iceshanty lurker so he was pleased to meet up with me.

I wish I could say I met up with some other stalwart fishermen , but there weren’t any. After watching the father  & son team bringing in a couple of pigs, I decided to go back to the camp, gear up and join them.

Safety warning. A lot of those 10 “ holes have opened up to 12” holes or better. Notable on the way out, at least one pressure crack had opened up significantly . Be aware and cautious, especially if you are bringing the youngsters with you tomorrow.
All for now, Boggey

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #827 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:48 AM »
Really good informative report.  You add a lot of quality to this board and I for one appreciate it. 

Offline IRISH56

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #828 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:54 AM »
I'll second that!  I watch this string and the Chaumont Hardware posts on Facebook and you guys both do a great service to the ice fishing communities.

DAN

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #829 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:22 PM »
Thank you for the report, I am supposed to make the trip from Broome County tomorrow and fish from GP Marina!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #830 on: Feb 10, 2023, 03:13 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Thank you for the kind words. Just got off the ice. Liberated 10 of them perch from the frigid depths of the Pond, 5 of which were pigs. Also caught 2 slime logs. There weren’t a heck of a lot of people out there today , say maybe 6. You think the wind had something to do with that? :whistle: :cookoo: Just sayin.

Fished with my new friend Bill from Rochester for most of the day. He had a slow start but caught up and passed me by the end of the day.

No fears about the ice. Still 7-8 inches on the main Pond. Just a reminder about those drain holes out there. I fished near one hole that was wider than my shoulders. Keep a close eye on the kids tomorrow as the night time temperatures will be cold enough to thinly freeze over those holes and a light dusting of snow is predicted as well. As always bring that spud with you and use it.

I pray all will have a fun filled and safe day tomorrow. See you all at the awards ceremony.

Boggey

Offline Goodiejay27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #831 on: Feb 10, 2023, 04:11 PM »
Boggey you really are an asset to this message board!  I for one really appreciate all the information you bring us!  I am from just east of Rochester and driving there because we don't have any ice.  So appreciate you letting us (me and my brother in law) grab a piece of ice tomorrow.  If you see a buffalo plaid eskimo shanty on the ice stop by and say hi!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #832 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:30 PM »
 New Old Guy/Bogey ditto Goodiejay27's words. Best to you and any other Ice Shanty members and their children at tomorrow's Sandy Creek Fire Dept. contest.

Goodiejay27 welcome to ice Shanty plenty of information to be found among the website's pages. just be sure to check dates on fishing reports and conditions . i believe you will be able to access the reports-conditions forums and personal message feature once you have 3 posts and are logged-in .

Steve

Offline JigginJay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #833 on: Feb 11, 2023, 03:21 PM »
Was out from the wigwam today. Still good ice and access

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #834 on: Feb 12, 2023, 12:10 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Great day on the Pond. The Sandy Creek Fire Dept had a great turnout. The ice held up well and the sun even broke out for awhile.

Sadly, old Boggey’s prediction of first place was thwarted by the Pike boycotting my area of the Pond this day. :whistle: :whistle: A couple small pickerel and one bass did however give me a brief Hope till I got them up through the hole.

The Perch bite was good. I believe the winner was 13 and 1/2 inch. Some great prizes were raffled off and the kids had great experiences with prizes for all and some nice trophies. A good time was had by all.

Now, looking forward to next week end. The Sandy Pond Sportsmen’s Assoc. fishing Derby is scheduled for Saturday & Sunday. A quick look forward at the weatherman’s forecast paints a not so rosey picture with high temps into the 50’son Thursday, followed by a drastic night time drop on Friday which will hopefully heal the ramps and accesses.

In closing, I’m going to throw in another posting of the SPSA fishing derby..

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #835 on: Feb 12, 2023, 09:45 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

If you ain’t in church you better be on the ice today. Seriously this day has my vote for absolute #1 day for the season. Ice is in great shape. The sun is shining. Virtually no wind . At 10:00 it already looks like tent city out there and just as many pail sitters. Green Point is similar. Ramp is good at GP. Ramp is good at WigWam. Ramp is good at Stanley. Hope to meet some new friends out there today. I just might roam around and glad hand people today. So if some old grey haired grizzly looking guy with a beard walks up to you and says “hey, you got to move. Your fishing on my spot”, just laugh and say “hi Boggey”😁😁😁

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #836 on: Feb 12, 2023, 05:06 PM »
How do you close out a perfect day on the Pond?

With a perfect sunset of course.

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #837 on: Feb 12, 2023, 06:40 PM »

It was a beautiful day for fishing, catching on the other hand was a little hard for us lol, did manage a pickerel but sporadic keepers and just threw them back. Tons of dinks. If it wasn’t for Boggey for the hook up on the perch filets, I think I dialed in my breading of choice now it was delicious

The Spencers
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #838 on: Feb 13, 2023, 04:55 AM »

They look very tasty

Offline Goodiejay27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #839 on: Feb 13, 2023, 06:04 AM »
Fished out of WigWams Saturday.  Windy but managed 8 keepers out about 15 caught.  2 slobs.  Looking to fish this week.  Probably going by myself.   So hopefully my fat ass stays on top of the ice.  Lol. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.