Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Knot question

<< < (6/6)

fishinpwk:

This knot works, used it before.

My favorite is the uni-knot for a loop. Cinch down to hook eye, but don't tighten it. Pull the tag end instead to finish. Creates a loop or size a  predetermined loop and tighten from there. Works great.

Depending on line size and material (mono, flouro, etc) knot will slip and cinch at hook eye or stay locked.

Fished with a guide using heavy p-line leader and a three turn uni-knot with small loop at jig eye. Knot didn't budge after landing multipe big lakers that day. Biggest being a 31 lber.

SirCranksalot:
back on this again. Trying to tie braid to fluoro with a double uni. The braid seems to cut thru the fluoro at a very low tension. Anybody else have that prob? TIA

Esox fisherman:

--- Quote from: SirCranksalot on Feb 05, 2022, 09:37 PM ---back on this again. Trying to tie braid to fluoro with a double uni. The braid seems to cut thru the fluoro at a very low tension. Anybody else have that prob? TIA

--- End quote ---

MichiganMan:
After using double uni, FG, slim beauty, binami twist and several others for joining braid to leader. I always, for the last 25yrs return to using alberto and crazy alberto knots for joining lines. Strong, slim, easy to tie. I did not know about the tip he taught in this video. This makes the knot even better. Great video, thank you for posting it.

RyanW:

--- Quote from: stripernut on Oct 27, 2021, 12:43 PM ---Sadly it is only around 70% breaking strength of the line... If that works for you, great, but not for me...

--- End quote ---

Well, going on three years later, the OP was asking about knots for small jigs. A small jig needs nothing more than a simple surgeons loop especially when dealing with cold fingers. I’ve yet to ever have the knot fail and I use 2#-3# line. We’re talking “small jigs” here. Assuming tungstens for panfish. The strongest thing you’ll encounter is the occasional bass/pike/walleye. I also use a surgeons loop for dry flies and streamers on my spinning setup in the warmer months on 4# line. There’s much more that goes into landing a fish than just the knot you use and your “70% knot strength” data directly contradicts my first hand experience of the last decades worth of year-round fishing using the knot.

So yeah, it does work great for me and I encourage others to try it out, especially for small ice-fishing jigs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version