Author Topic: Sledding downhill to the Lake on early ice  (Read 2497 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Sledding downhill to the Lake on early ice
« on: Apr 05, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Well sometimes I'm extremely tempted to just let the sled full of gear just go downhill to the lake, but really no longer do.  I walk it down hill like an anxious dog pulling me.  There's usually not a smooth transition right at the edge of the lake ice and shoreline.  For one thing, I hate picking up stuff and carrying it again.  That's why it was put into the sled.  Second of all, if there was a bucket of minnow - well unless they are in a bag and tied, the water sloshing isn't much help nor if bucket tilts on side.  Especially when it just so happens to freeze up the zipper on a bag or shelter door.

The going back up the hill, well that's another story.  ;D  Don't know if lost gear along this section are just casualties or just cast aside.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Sledding downhill to the Lake on early ice
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2015, 10:46 PM »
The thrill comes when you get on board, too.     :woot: :roflmao:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2015, 12:33 AM »
The thrill comes when you get on board, too.     :woot: :roflmao:

When the fish don't bite and have nothing else better to do.  ;)  try to hit that little ice pressure ridge ramp for a little dukes of hazard jump.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2015, 12:56 AM »
i don't do it on early ice, but middle of winter when i know the ice (and the edge) is safe, more often than not i just sit down on my tackle box in the back of the sled and go for it.

haven't tipped over or broken anything yet, so i'll probably keep sledding down to the lake

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2015, 03:23 AM »
Haha no longer am I ashamed, a couple gravel pits i fish have steeper sides where the access is, if theres snow and i know the ice is fine, ill push and bellyflop down on the seats and ride down. Makes me feel like a little kid again!!

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2015, 10:07 PM »
hahaha...I've picked up a few yard sales at the edge of the ice.  I just don't like it when my expensive stuff gets broke.  If course my wife thinks I'm a dork because I push shopping carts fast in the parking lot and jump on them and ride..and I'm 42yoa.  Live life like you mean it!

Offline Tomz1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2015, 07:27 PM »
I've thought of doing this....and bringing a long rope so when you go to leave you can tie the rope to the sled walk up the hill tie the other end to your hitch and drive past a tree or road sign keep going till the sled is up the hill...but have yet to try it...need a busy to help the first few times one person could guide the sled up and make sure nothing gets lost.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.