Author Topic: Drilling holes to fish  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Gofish41

• IceShanty Rookie
Drilling holes to fish
« on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:24 AM »
Frequently I am faced with a frustrating situation while fishing a new lake and I can't catch fish.  Should I continue to drill holes until I make contact and mark fish on the flasher or look for some kind of fish habitat and fish that area? 

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Drilling holes to fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:23 AM »
On a new body of water, the first thing I try to do is find a topo map.  I don't know about other states, but here in New York we can download maps of a lot of the inland lakes from the DEC site.

Even Google Earth can help give you an idea of what to look for in a body of water.  If you look closely, you can actually see depth changes, structure and weed beds on there by looking at the color changes on the satellite image.  This is something I just noticed yesterday by comparing a Google Earth image to a topo map I have.

That would at least give you a place to plan your starting point on the lake.

What kind of fish are you normally targeting?  I use different tactics depending on if I'm jigging or setting tipups.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 10:12 AM »
Can't catch them if they aren't under you. Pre-Season fishing from a boat is the easiest way to figure out any body of water for the winter, at least you'll have a general idea of the bottom. Otherwise it's obtain a map if possible, a Google Earth photo and punch holes. Using colored pencils to color code the map for bottom types, transitions and whatever you stumble onto on the bottom is useful. Need to take the time to learn it and it will take time

Offline THE GILL PILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 10:23 AM »
i use a topo map and look for drop offs, humps, points, channels, and flats. i would definetely keep moving if you arent marking them on a flasher. there's no use fishing a dead hole. i mainly fish for crappie and occasionaly target walleye so drop offs and points in 20+ fow is what i target.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:13 PM »
drill to you find fish

Offline Gofish41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:11 AM »
Thank you for your responses.  I like to fish for anything that will take my jig and spikes, but I primarily fish for panfish.  What are the primary strategies I should apply when searching for active fish?  Also, any recommended  instructional material that I should get my hands on to help me in this area?  (Other than this site--which is fantastic).

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:53 AM »
Panfish are generally a schooling fish! Google Earth maps will get you started. If you don't have the ability to scout a lake out in the open water than you'll need to beat feet and drill holes till you find them! Always worth talking to the local boys on a given lake they might not give you the best info but it's a start! A quality finder is a must forget the old school days if your trying to be really successfull!

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Frequently I am faced with a frustrating situation while fishing a new lake and I can't catch fish.  Should I continue to drill holes until I make contact and mark fish on the flasher or look for some kind of fish habitat and fish that area? 

If you are not catching fish how is it that you know they are even there.  The best way to help you would be to get a fish finder that way you know if there is even fish in the area.  At first i thought that it was to much money to spend but now I wouldn't even consider going if I didn't have one.  second use a lake contour map to help you figure out where you would like to start to fish.  structure is one of the most common places to find fish.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:41 PM »
You can always use the "butte" fishfinder and look where other people are fishing.  They probably fish that area for a reason.  Then you can branch out a bit.  If there are no holes, old or new, you are either in a hot spot by yourself, or people don't fish there for a reason.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2015, 07:20 PM »
A graph sonar is nice year round, as is a GPS of some sort.     :whistle:

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:26 PM »
I usually keep drilling, starting shallow and going deep.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:02 PM »
Infisherman and IceTeam offer a wealth of useful ice angling info.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline harebare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2015, 07:55 PM »
I can see getting up and moving if you are jigging, but normally when I go and set 5 tip ups, unless the fishing is painfully slow I wont move.  And if I do move its usually only a trap or two.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2015, 06:21 AM »
I move if no fish.if running tip ups I will take some rubber bands wind the tip up up keep bait on wrap with rubber band and put them in bucket with bait.drill some more holes than pull out set depth.

Kyle_J

« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:38 PM »
I move till i catch fish  :)

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2015, 11:35 AM »
The Navionics app is awesome.  The detailing of the depth contours is extremely accurate and more precise than old paper maps.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:33 PM »
The Navionics app is awesome.  The detailing of the depth contours is extremely accurate and more precise than old paper maps.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.