Author Topic: How full do you keep your reel?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Mattiemo

• IceShanty Rookie
How full do you keep your reel?
« on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:16 PM »
So i got some bionic ice braided line 2lb. It came in a 40 yd spool.  The spool on the reel says it can take 250 yds of 2 lb. Should i fill the extra space with old line or just put the 40 yd on?

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How full do you keep your reel?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I like my reels pretty full. It helps with coils in the line when your reel is filled properly. I just use the good new stuff to top off my reels now.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:21 AM »
1/8" from end of spool.
<===Lefty===

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:46 AM »
I always use a backing.

WS

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Use a slightly larger reel than most and it's basically full, add 3x normal depth of ASSO Fluro  to it. No kinks, no coils

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:58 AM »
I go no more than 4/5 of a spool. Helps prevent that accidental "spool off" of line.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Mattiemo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Thanks guys. Ill use fill line then the good stuff.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:49 AM »
You can use some cheap 20# Berckley line for backing

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2016, 12:31 AM »
How much line on your spool?

Ideally one should fill the spool to about 1/8 th inch from the spool lip.  However the actual spool designed or line type may affect the desired results.

Braid lines.  PE braided lines don't actually absorbed water and freeze like that of nylon fishing lines.  It's that they will soak up water in between the threads and freeze then expand on your spool.  Now then that expansion on your spool will suddenly overfill the spool.

Fluorocarbon.  While fluorocarbon lines are said to remain unchanged by cold temps, they do become more stiff in much colder freezing temps.  Fluorocarbon by nature is more stiff and very springy to jumping off the spool as soon as one opens the bail from the spinning reel.  While recent years, fluorocarbon lines have become much more softer and more spinning reel friendly, still more springy than nylon lines.

Nylon lines to nylon coplymer lines.  So much variety with different subtle results.  Most likely they will get more stiff as the temps drop.  Some will develop horrible line memory coils.  Some lines uncoils and drops down below the spool.  Some will fish better than others in cold temps.

All this means, go with less line, likely increase the spool lip to 1/4 inch or so in freezing conditions.

Now changes in spool lip design may change thin.  The Shimano taper spool lip changes the fill line position.  In above freezing conditions, a spool filled to maximum capacity functions just fine.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.