Author Topic: cant wait to get back to the gravel pits  (Read 28657 times)

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
cant wait to get back to the gravel pits
« on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:33 AM »
its been a year but  every time i go i fill a cooler wth the biggest gills u will ever see  and so many bass ull be sick of thm by the time we leave i cant wait  till this wther makes up its mind 

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cant wait to get back to the gravel pits
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2012, 01:03 PM »
anyone been to any of the good  gravel pits latly

Offline gotime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2012, 05:05 PM »
What pits ya talking about ??

Offline nappo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Would that pit be in Leesburg?

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2012, 10:40 PM »
I m thinking probably shackamack or in S. INDIANA

Offline shovelholdsdirt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:18 AM »
anyone been to any of the good  gravel pits latly

Nope, but I've been to a good marl pit.

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:29 AM »
no my fav is the one in south bend  thy got a 3 and hlf pound gill 2 yrs back and ive got so many 16 inch 2 to 2hlf lbs gills and its like tht almst every cast  night crawler no sinker and every once in a blue moon the crappie come out one will cover the whole bottm of a 5 gallon bucket    i really cant wait   but this place made me dislike bass i caught   so many  both of my thumbs are so raw by the time i leave  ive fished this pit for 10 yrs now and like i tell my buddys   when thy take me there good holes lol  and only take 2 dozen crawlers  haha  after 2 or 3 hours of caughtin lil dink nibblers im like let go get 6 dozen crawlers 4 u and 8 dozen for me  there  like y  im like ur goin to see and wthin 3hrs  thy r out standin arnd tryn to get someone to bring more lol 

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:34 AM »
A 16" Bluegill?   3.5lbs?
 I'm gonna' need to see a pic on the scale, or against a rule.......... And I would love to see either one, so please post away. :)

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:47 AM »
i can do bettr thn a pic ill take u thre and whn we leave wth all these mnster gills thn u can take ur own pic if u like lol   i promse ill make a beliver out of ya  my dad said the samethng til i shwd up at his door wth a cooler full  i did have pics but like i said its been a yr and ive been thru 2 phne already    so if u wnt to go let me knw

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:55 AM »
i can do bettr thn a pic ill take u thre and whn we leave wth all these mnster gills thn u can take ur own pic if u like lol   i promse ill make a beliver out of ya  my dad said the samethng til i shwd up at his door wth a cooler full  i did have pics but like i said its been a yr and ive been thru 2 phne already    so if u wnt to go let me knw

I appreciate the offer, but there's no need to risk giving away such a good spot by taking someone else in, I will be satisfied with a picture of one on a digital scale, and up against a tape measure.

No disrespect intended, but bear in mind that the Indiana State Record BG "only" weighed 3.25 lbs, and was 13.5" long. And this upcoming March 25th, that record has stood for exactly 40 years.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:14 AM »
For comparison, here are a couple photos from last year. I raise bluegills, and this is a hybrid from one of my ponds. 9.75" and 1lb 2ozs.

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:18 AM »
understand  but i dnt mind takin peaple im not greedy and like i said thy r the biggest anyones ever seen in there and i cant caught thm all  well when the wther makes up its mind ill be postn thm pic for all to see  but the offers out thre if anyone wnts to see  for thm selfs  my dad had his strys and whn i shwd up  he said r u fishin nxt to a  nuclear plant lol 

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2012, 08:47 AM »
ive been told tht this pit ive been fishn is a 180 feet deep  the gills look like packcoos big humps on the heads  and frm finger tip to almst my elbow  long

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:05 AM »
and if u r bass fisher just take a walk arnd the pit and see the biggest bass ive seen but  dnt plan on caughtn thm unless u got a trick  or two ive tryd everythng i can thnk of   and cant get thm mnsters  to bit 

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:10 AM »
A new world record REDEAR was caught last summer, it weighed over 5.5lbs, and was "only" 16.75" long,
and they grow larger than Bluegill.............

I would love to see a 16" Bluegill, or a 3.5lb Bluegill. But I would need to see them on a scale, with a tape alongside.......... most fish of this reputed magnitude never live up to the angler's claims once an accurate measuring device is produced. Don't misunderstand, I would love to be proven wrong, with "proven" being the key point here. I have seen verified photos of Bluegills over 3 lbs before, so I'm ready and willing to take a look. However, outrageous claims demand infallible proof...  Unfortunately, stories from an undoubtedly, and justifiably, excited angler do not count.

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:23 AM »
ive been fishin my whole life and ive fished ths pit over and over and everytime the samethng happns  i leave wth buckets and coolers of thys mnsters so if u thnk its a lie bring ur camra and scale and u can take pic and wght thm  y im caughtn thm lol    i fish my buddys pound and its got Georgia giants in it and it nothng like the pit

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:29 AM »
I can't wait for your photos, good luck. ;)

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:29 AM »
i have a 10 inch hand and theres only 2 ways i can hold the fish thumbin thm by the mouth or holdn thm like a taco lol   im cant get my hands belly to back so whos ready i am   

Offline justjiggin83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:35 PM »
That sounds like a good time to me. Id love to go.

Offline coho333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:09 PM »
X2  I am game
Here fishy, fishy!!!!!!!

Offline shovelholdsdirt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Wish I could go.  However, I can't afford it...I would be inclined to mount any bluegill over 12". :)

Offline Flat Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Shoot take me I'll be happy with a bunch of 12"ers. ???
Lets go get em

Offline neonnc3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:18 PM »
As would I.Im sure large bluegill are present in most lakes and rivers. I too have hybrids in my pond and the best they have grown to is 9 in and one pound. Red ears grow larger and there have been some very nice three-quarter and one pounder taken from pine lake and most are in the ten and eleven in. size. I wont discount a mans word, but I too need to see,lol That said Ill come too!..... :P

Offline gotime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2012, 04:41 PM »
Are you sure my wife didn't give you the tape measure you are using ;D ;D

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2012, 05:17 PM »
  ;) ;)   I can't believe all the scepticism about a 16" bluegill ::), but a 180' deep gravel pit? :-\     I don't know about that. ;D ;D ;D       Just seems like an awful long ways to bring up rocks. ;)     I'm just sayin'.
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2012, 05:57 PM »
well lets make plans anytime is good for me im layoff so  lets go

Offline nrthrn IN fishr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:18 PM »
lol my grl just seen the pic of  sprkplugs gill on the other page and said the gills u get at the grvl pit  r way long thn tht one lol   thn i told her thats wht im tryn to tell these guys

Offline rippin lips off

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:24 PM »
i would like to go and try andsee some of these big gills.........

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:30 PM »
A 16" Bluegill?   3.5lbs?
 I'm gonna' need to see a pic on the scale, or against a rule.......... And I would love to see either one, so please post away. :)

Me too, would like to see the picks with tape and scale. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2012, 07:21 PM »
ive been told tht this pit ive been fishn is a 180 feet deep  the gills look like packcoos big humps on the heads  and frm finger tip to almst my elbow  long

UMMMM....I am with sprkplug on this one....I need to see some pics....I am not a big person and my finger tip to elbow is roughly 17.5 inches.  No possible way you are catching true BLUEGILLS anywhere close to that size.  Since you offered, I will take one for the team and be happy to meet you there anytime.  Just PM me when and where to meet you.  I will bring the bait, the camera and the tape measure.  You name the time and place.  I can be in South Bend in 30 minutes or less.  Also, I assume you have permission to fish there as I am not going to trespass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.