The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Anyone have info on these Traps? Phils Enterprise (with Pic)  (Read 5107 times)

Offline doughtdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LTD!
I've got three ice fishing traps that are stamped "The lifetime by Phils Enterprise, Auburn Maine"

I was wondering if anyone had any information about "Phils Enterprise" or where I could get a few more of them.  Thanks

:tipup:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Re: Anyone have info on these Traps? Phils Enterprise (with Pic)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Nope ??? But they sure are nice :thumbsup:  Are those the ones from CL ???

Offline doughtdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LTD!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Ya, sure are the CL ones.  Nobody bought them so I decided to keep them.  The rest of them are still on there though.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Ya, sure are the CL ones.  Nobody bought them so I decided to keep them.  The rest of them are still on there though.
I would have grabbed 'em but it was too far to travel!! :-\  Good Score!!! :thumbsup:

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:43 PM »
I have 9 of them! I had 10 until I lost one on Lower Range last year. I originally bought them at Dags Bait Shop in Auburn about 22 years ago. Nice traps I still use them to this day. I don't think they are made anymore.
Never Give Up!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:48 PM »
I have two of them. Love them. Bought on eBay.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:49 AM »
Those are very cool

I suspect ole Phil was an avid outdoorsman who thought he would make a quality trap and retire from the proceeds. I suspect someome out there knows the history let us know if you find out.
 I have 3 traps I bought over 20yrs ago from BoB Bibeau in Windham. Bob was better known for his fly tying but the traps have held up. I dont use them much anymore but Still remeber the day I got them I actually helped bob put the finishing touches on them

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:54 AM »
There is someone in the Maine Sportsmen classifieds that has an ongoing ad looking for The Lifetime traps made by Phils Enterprise and sold by Dags.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:40 AM »
Those are very cool

I suspect ole Phil was an avid outdoorsman who thought he would make a quality trap and retire from the proceeds. I suspect someome out there knows the history let us know if you find out.
 I have 3 traps I bought over 20yrs ago from BoB Bibeau in Windham. Bob was better known for his fly tying but the traps have held up. I dont use them much anymore but Still remeber the day I got them I actually helped bob put the finishing touches on them
wow i used to go to bibeau's alot great little shop ,well on that note  try asking jaws bait  he's bobs son  :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:47 AM »
wow i used to go to bibeau's alot great little shop ,well on that note  try asking jaws bait  he's bobs son  :tipup:

Yeah it was the place back in the day
I was fortunate to take a couple of fly tying classee with bob and his wife.. great people always willing to help you out. small shop but had the essentials
Where is Jaws bait?

Offline ICEDINN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Phil was one of the owners of Dags Bait Shop I have 4 sets of those traps and they are the best ever made bar none !! Ive fished with mine for over 30 years now without a wind flag now thats something to brag about ! When he got sick of building them I should have bought all the parts and equipment to build them they are now scattered to the four winds !! Good Luck finding more !! MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline woodsmoke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2010, 03:39 PM »
I have a set of 5 that I got years ago and they are very good traps. I think they were made by Phil Jr. out of the old Dag's shop. I think Phil Jr. has a bait and tackle shop in Lisbon now in the old NAPA building he may be able to help you, Woodsmoke

Offline king salmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:20 PM »
AH yes the old Life Timers.Had a set for many years till they got stolen along with my pack basket. Think I paid 20 bucks ea. back in 88 or 89. Had for maybe 8 yrs. with no problems.Picked them up at Luke's Reel Repair in Kennebunk. Basically a not so rugged Jack Trap. Haven't seen any for sale in quite some time so may not be made any more. Still have a buddy who got his the same time as mine and he'll be using them again this year. Those didn't by any chance have a name on them first starting with a D and last with a F ?  ;D

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Where is Jaws bait?

on the songo lock rd

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline holden222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:48 PM »
I heard he wasn't opened last year, any truth to that??
"It's not like a movie or a wedding when showing up late is no big deal...Icefishing is much more important." -superpole-

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:06 PM »
i just got done talking with Phil. he is trying to make his traps again. they wont be available for this year even though we were hoping for it this summer. it looks like there should be some on the market next winter though. i know I'm going to be stocking up on parts.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline flatlandah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I just bought 8 of them and 2 jack traps after reading the history of them on here and everyone seems to like them I was thinkin I just made a huge score ! 10 traps 2 ice chisels and 2 pack baskets for 125.00$

Offline Warm Water

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:12 PM »
My grandfather gave me 2 of these. They are great tip ups and I hope he starts making them again.

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:37 PM »
I have 10 of these, they do not say Phil ent. on them but they are the lifetime traps, purchased at Dag's about 30 years ago for around 12-15 bucks each and I still use them every season.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2012, 12:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure those are the same traps as the "Thompson's". The older gentleman from the North end of the lake made those, he had a great shop. I have a set & the identical twin was made by someone who Adelard Croteau  (Bob's Tackle Shop") knew. The difference in Bob's traps was a tension adjustment spring on the reel stud. I think I still have a couple of those also. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:35 PM »
My father has one of these traps. Never fails, he always catches fish on it. We now refer to that trap as the lucky trap. For some reason that trap ALWAYS produces!! I will have a set when they start making them again, thats great news!!
,we call them junk fish!

Offline maineute

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call it fishing, I call it catching
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:39 PM »
I have 4 of them that I refonoshed for my daughter, they did not have that stamped in them so I thought that they were Thompson traps also. They work very good and were much cheaper than Jack traps, no bait flags.

Offline jimwaldron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 PM »
MY father used to do business with many of the old timeMaine Bait dealers back in the 50's and beyondd. Phil was One of the original Dag'sowners  I believe.Bob Croteau, Sam Holbrook. Carroll Cutting, The Rheaumes .Louie Solaris.' Bob Bibeau and his wife and many more.Back when it was legal to cross the border both ways with bait. 
I grew up in the business and have kept many of these contacts with the newer generations .We have had many friends in Maine over the years.
The original Phils traps are 40 or more years old to the best of my knowledge. They are hard to find,but of good quality to this day.
Nice to remember some of the old guys.  Thanks for reading.  Jim w.

Offline hawgzilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2011 Ice Shanty Fantasy NASCAR Champion
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 PM »
I have a set identical to those with the exception that there is nothing stamped on the metal brace on the end.  The two tone color is dead on, the reel is textured just like the one in the picture, the hardware and flags are identical.  I've had them for almost 40 years and still use them to this day.

Offline Rexscat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Just bought 5 of these in great shape at a barn sale in Farmington today. Wonder if he ever started to make em again.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2013, 02:51 PM »
they are excellent traps light and durable. I retired my set and Which sit in my grampas old ice basket in my livingroom.i saw they were becoming collectible a while ago. Not sure what kind of value but it brings many memories of going to Dags as a kid w/ my dad and getting bait etc from Phil
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline Thresher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:19 PM »
I bought 5 traps about 15 years ago from DAGs great traps

Offline katiej44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2021, 04:50 PM »
Does anyone know of anyway that I could get a couple of these traps? My grandfather passed the Lifetime traps down to my dad and he's now looking for more. Would be willing to pay for shipping! Thank you!

Offline southarm_angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:38 AM »
I have a few sets of these.  One belonged to my great grandfather and another to my dad.  Mine are 45 years old. Refurbished them a couple years ago with new reels and flags.  45 yrs and they still leak a bit of grease every year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.