Author Topic: Generic tip up grease  (Read 3405 times)

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Generic tip up grease
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:56 AM »
hey guys, it's come time to clean my tip ups a bit. there isn't a store locally that sells grease specifically branded for tip ups, and I don't want to just order that one item, so is there any other grease that I should get. perhaps something automotive that is want for cold temps?

Offline captmatt3311

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Generic tip up grease
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:05 AM »
i have taken apart and rebuilt my gear one time. and one time only. i used anti seize on all of the bolts and what not. they stay infinitely lubricated and never freeze up.   the huge downside is if u use too much it makes a giant mess !!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:17 AM »
I would not recommend using any auto stuff. Just break down and order Beaver Dam No Freeze Grease or Frabill's Sub Zero Lubricant. Do it right the first time and don't look back.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2017, 02:31 PM »
Once you go quantum hot sauce...you never go back.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:04 PM »
I've used a bicycle teflon grease for stuff and it seems to be OK.  The main problem with greasing a tip up, and I'm thinking the old style here, is getting the grease into the trigger tube.  Older classic tip-ups had the tube swaged down over the trigger wire at then ends, which captured the grease and kept water out.  I've seen a lot of new tip ups where the grease tube is wide open at each end.  I don't like the new polar style tipups maybe I'm a Luddite (but I do have an LX-7 and a Fuel drill auger).

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:04 PM »
silicone grease. Plumbing dept at HD. use it sparingly. About 3$ for a little squeeze tube.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:17 PM »
I never thought of it until now but dielectric silicone grease? But it might be cheaper to order beaver dam grease off amazon.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:00 PM »
I would just get the beaver dam grease. Sure it may cost you a little more up front. But the piece of mind knowing you have the right stuff for the job is priceless in my opinion.

Also I have silicone paste and beaver dam tip up grease in my work shop and the two do not look a thing alike.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:23 AM »
You would need alot of Quantum Hot Sauce to grease a Beaver Dam tip up.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:45 PM »
You would need alot of Quantum Hot Sauce to grease a Beaver Dam tip up.

I thought the same thing. A little goes a long way....ive done 12 tipups this year and still have half a tube.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Do you guys know how to re lube them correctly? Take them apart and run a 22 cal. swab thru them with a coat hanger wire and then clean the shaft. Put in a little Blu Lube or other tip up lube in the bottom of the shaft and hold your finger over the top end. As you slowly insert the shaft from the bottom release the top hole only when the pressure starts to force the lube out around the shaft at the bottom. Put your finger back on the top hole and repeat until the shaft is all the way up. That lubes the entire shaft evenly. Don't get excessive with the lube or it can pack to tight. The old founder at HT that died a while back taught me that, your tip ups will be like new.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I couldn't get the PM to go back to you Bob, yes is your answer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.