Author Topic: LED lighting options for new flip over.  (Read 5603 times)

Offline TiredPotato

• IceShanty Rookie
LED lighting options for new flip over.
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 02:05 PM »
I am in the process of purchasing a new Otter Cabin flip over and I am looking for some lighting options.  In my current flip over I have a LED rope light attached by zip ties, that I connect to a 12v battery.  This works great, but the rope light is old and the rubber casing seems to be "breaking down" so I will not be able to use it again this year.  Currently it is just a 3ft marine rope light that I found in the bargain cave at Cabelas years ago.  I would like to stick to basically the same setup that I have now except I can not find a simple LED rope light anywhere.  I have checked Amazon and other places on the web and all of the LED options seem to have 3M Adhesive tape already attached (which I would like to avoid) or they want to much money for just a simple LED light strip.  I am looking for a good option that is bright, durable and that I can permanently attach to my shelter.  Any links to products would be appreciated!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: LED lighting options for new flip over.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2015, 08:27 PM »
i just velcro mine to the the bars i want it on. i use the 3m advesive backed led reel lights in water proof number 5050 and run it to a wireless remote control dimmer. i leave the paper on the back of the strips, easy on and off. can relocate them any time this way or change them out.

heres one for night fishing outside the shack. just use a short peice of the 5050 and hot glue it either the bottom of the head unit or to the bottom of the marcum arm. if you use hot glue, you can build it up like caulk to get angles like i did here.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:43 PM »
These are simple, reliable and durable - they put out a decent amount of light. A pair of 4" lights are more than enough for a 1 man flip.
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Slim-LED-Utility-Strip-Light/product/13080906163718/

They're also sold at walmart (a bit cheaper) under the seasense brand name

I liked them so well in my Frabill Recon that I added 4 to my Alumacraft to light up the floor.

Catchin' Fish

Offline aiathompson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2015, 06:16 AM »
  I am looking for a good option that is bright, durable and that I can permanently attach to my shelter.  Any links to products would be appreciated!

Super Bright LEDS has a lot of different options.  Ropes, bars, wiring, switches, dimmers, etc.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-strips-and-bars/
Steve Thompson
Otter Outdoors Pro-Staff
Tougher. Stronger. Smarter.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2015, 06:34 AM »
Umm.. just use a head lamp. U probably all ready have one out there with you. Most have various setting and brightness. Keep it simple, less to go wrong, haul out there, and deal with..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2015, 10:02 AM »
I just use two 3 foot sections of LED adhesive backed rope light from amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-T93007-Waterproof-Flexible/dp/B005EHHLD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445957867&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+led+rope+light.. As long as you know how to solder and have a fine-tipped iron with small solder, you can turn the 5M of lights into a ton of strips, thats the only pain with these.

I have a set of lights above my head and the other on the pole in front of me. More than enough lighting, and I run it off of a 12v power box that I built. As you might be able to tell from the first picture, I just have it taped with black electrical tape to the poles, and I have not had a single issue with it all of last year. The only thing to make sure of is good connections on all your solders and crimps.. Great setup that has really helped me worry about one less thing when going out fishing!

Also, sorry for the tall pictures... darn cell phone pictures  :-\

Go Beavers!

Offline johngalby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2015, 10:13 AM »
I've seen flat rope lighting at Princess Auto with 3M backing on it.  It sticks really well on the metal in the ice shelters but has to go on in warmer weather.

Offline TiredPotato

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2015, 10:23 AM »
I just use two 3 foot sections of LED adhesive backed rope light from amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs-T93007-Waterproof-Flexible/dp/B005EHHLD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445957867&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+led+rope+light.. As long as you know how to solder and have a fine-tipped iron with small solder, you can turn the 5M of lights into a ton of strips, thats the only pain with these.

Clear_Ice are those bulbs covered by like a silicone?  I have seen a few versions of these in person and it is kind of hard to tell from the picture if they have the coating.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2015, 12:56 PM »
heres one for night fishing outside the shack. just use a short peice of the 5050 and hot glue it either the bottom of the head unit or to the bottom of the marcum arm. if you use hot glue, you can build it up like caulk to get angles like i did here.
(Image removed from quote.)

I will definitely be trying this, this year sweet mod.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Clear_Ice are those bulbs covered by like a silicone?  I have seen a few versions of these in person and it is kind of hard to tell from the picture if they have the coating.

Yes they are. Its just a strip of adhesive on the bottom, your lights, and then a cover of silicone running over the top. The adhesive doesn't last forever, but if you tape them to the poles well enough, they work great. Also, I never had an issue with them last year in terms of moisture getting in...

Overall, for a really cheap setup, I think it is worth every penny

Go Beavers!

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:52 AM »
I know there is some grey area about when you are "using a light for attracting fish" and when you are "using a light to light your fish house" in many states, MN included. here in MA I use a Loomis LED drop light in both my shanty and also my snobear when I am smelt fishing as well as for general lighting.
They are incredibly bright and once you get a couple of feet of ice, dropping the light into the hole so that you use the ice itself as a lens to refract the light to attract the fish. They come with a rechargeable battery and I get about 6-8 hours of fishing time off a single charge, so bring two batteries and fish all night.

Like I said though, check your state laws about these because using lights is not legal in all 50 states.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:01 AM »
I don't have pictures...but I go to auto supply/walmart buy a rv/camper convenience light that takes an 1156 12 volt lamp. It's a 3" x4" lensed light with on/off button on it. Go to superbright led's and order the 9 led light card that plugs into 1156 socket. Put it in your light, mount it permanently/temporary to your overhead conduit. Run line down to 12 volt battery and it works great. I have one for bright white light led  and one with amber led for stealthier night fishing. I also use a 12 volt 1.7 ah battery...a lot of the time. Very small 2" x 3" and last on all my evening/morning ventures. If I was going to fish all night I would bring extra 12 volt 7 ah battery.

I have this set up in my Otter small cabin  and my  Frabill Ultra Lite.

Paul

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:54 AM »
I will definitely be trying this, this year sweet mod.
thanks.
i take that back, i used a framed led light from china, they were about 4$. i bought 8 of them. i mounted one to my battery box too and added a switch for it to use for tear downs in the night so my lantern can cool off and its handy for the ones i fish with who have no light at all.

thinking i bought them on ebay.

i'll try to get pics this season of my buddies lights he added to the bottom of his marcum arm. it is one section (3 led emitters) velcroed on of the 5050. his are the real blueish tint. some thing like 6500K color.

Offline TiredPotato

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:12 PM »
Lots of good ideas and suggestions here.  I decided to order up a 16 ft LED strip light from Amazon, I went with a 5630 LED instead of the 5050, they are suppose to be a bit brighter.  I figured if they are as bright as my current setup two 3 ft runs is all I will need at the most, so that will leave me 10 ft to "experiment" with.  I may have to check into getting one of the dimmer remotes mentioned here, or look into putting a strip inside my sled for some extra light for when I drop that small jig.   Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:35 PM »
i think i saw the 5630 but thinking it wasn't water proof is why i passed it up. i don't want the emitter exposed to water or conduit and short circuit or burn them out.
the short runs don't work with those remote controll. i think theres not enough load on it to operate. also i had troubles with the emitters burning out on real sort runs less then 20 inches or so. i think too much current or voltage with out enough of a load takes them out. smaller voltages are needed for those.
the china lady acted all supprised about and took her time running out the 30 day money back warranty on ebay. i think her store front is myled.com
shes a sham.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.