Author Topic: how can i keep my portable warmer at night?  (Read 6590 times)

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
how can i keep my portable warmer at night?
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 02:27 AM »
Hey guys, I'm new to this board so nice to meet you. Anyways, question for you all. I just bought a eskimo 949I portable ice house and the thing looks great. Haven't used it yet though. I live in Minnesota and will be attending the eelpout festival next month on feb. But i was wondering how i can make it warmer at night, even thought its already insulated.

But i want warmer. I was almost thinking about tossing a blanket over the top of it, than a tarp over that with all the corners screwed into the ice, than put a rubber Matt inside and use as a floor.

So any of you guys customize or do anything currently to your portables to make them warmer while sleeping over night in them. Please share what you guys might be doing. Thanks
KCCO

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how can i keep my portable warmer at night?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:22 AM »
Cool Beans!! I want to watch this topic and try and find how to keep my clam warmer.

What are you useing for heat??

I have one small propane heater and then one big sun flower.

But I havent got to use my shack yet.

I plan on finding some thing to cover the open ice with, mabeye carpet or foam mat?

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:29 AM »
Big buddy heater, Just bought one and love it.
Gator Nation

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:23 AM »
I have the regular Buddy heater. I use it in my thermal Otter Cabin. I have spent -10 nights in my shirt sleeves with no problem. I am not familiar with your house so when you said it is insulated I would just use a small heater.

WS

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:54 AM »
my buddy just got a insulated pop up...we were sweating our butts off!the pilot on his big buddy kept us warm all day..so at night id say a big buddy would be perfect.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:00 AM »
If your running a heater in it the last thing you want to do is cover the shack with a tarp, you will asphyxiate,  how do you know it needs to be warmer without trying it at all yet? Some floor mat and cots are all I would use and maybe wear pajamas instead of the birthday suit? Also make sure you have the vents popped out if heaters on and get a battery o2 sensor with an alarm just in case.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Exactly, throw a buddy heater in and you will be good to go....
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:21 AM »
My buddy Iced has the same shack and regularly camps out at 20 below with no problems.  He built a custom floor for it but he was camping in it comfortably even before that.  There is nothing wrong with putting a tarp over the shack.  I use one on my Q6 and have had no issues with it.  Just make sure you are not covering any of the vents and you have good ventilation by opening a window.  You should be doing this anyway.  A tarp will not cause asphyxiation.  You don't need a tarp with the insulated version because the insulation keeps the fabric from sweating.  The main reason for the tarp is to stop condensation on the ceiling and it does work.  It will help with warmth but not much.  If you have concerns about the CO bring a CO detector or use the lighter technique.  If you hold a lighter up near the ceiling of the shack and it has a normal flame you are ok, but if it is dancing around and acting eratic open a window and vent the air.  Trust me on this guys I camp out for a week to 10 days at a time in my Q6 and its usually 20 below or colder.  I wrote a big post explaining my techniques in the ice shack tips board I think its under "camping in your portable overnight".  You will have no problems heating that shack to 1000degrees.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:53 AM »
i know of a couple incidents were one guy tarped his house boat cabin and asphyxiated. I also personally knew another guy that tarped up his camper and asphyxiated with a sunflower heater, its a real danger to keep in mind...i also knew a guy that died of carbon monoxide by starting his generator inside the shed every day, carbon monoxide builds in your system until finally youve reached your limit.

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Best advice I got is to get a fan and hang it on the roof. This will push the hot air down to the floor causing much more even heat distribution. That and throw some old carpet on th ice where you're fee will be, keeps your feet of the giant ice cube underneath you.
I use this little guy .

I'm in Manitoba Canada. I can be in -40 celcius (lower than zero Farenheit) and with my sunflower heater on low, and the fan on low, I'll be fishing in my hoodie with no hat or gloves on.
I only have a 3man shack thought so the heat is more concentrated.

Hope this helps.
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:30 PM »
I have the 949i and Big buddy heater, and the only thing I added is some rubber work mats to the floor to keep feet warm(Office Max was throwing away so they were free.) Stays plenty warm no matter what the temp.
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Big Buddy + Reflectix.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:55 PM »
yes get a big buddy heater.. It will be safer and easier in the long run... attach it to a 20 lb LP tank and you could wear shorts in your shack if you wanted...I used to put a small wool blanket over just the top, not the sides, of my 1 man clam... It worked but was kind of a hassel....
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2013, 01:02 PM »
If your pop up isn't warm enough with a buddy heater, I suggest you may need a hotel room instead! In Aruba!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:27 PM »
I've slept in my eskimo qf6, i used a buddy heater and a 4x8 sheet of 2" pink foam board to sleep on. I cut the sheet into four 2' by 4' pieces then used duct tape accordian them together. Folded up it was 2x4 and 8 inches thick. It helped alot.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:28 PM »
The reason I say big buddy heater over the regular one is the big buddy has its own fan.  Yes it costs a little more but shop around an d you can find them under 100  bucks
Gator Nation

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Biggy buddy and a fan and if needed a mate, you'll be in shorts before you now it. Also with your big buddy use a 20lb bottle you'll last all weekend with one.
No one left behind.     

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:33 PM »
   Build you a shack with a floor and insulate the floor. :)

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:48 PM »
The reason I say big buddy heater over the regular one is the big buddy has its own fan.  Yes it costs a little more but shop around an d you can find them under 100  bucks
I also use the big buddy...plenty hot!We stay long weekends(4+days)with no trouble.We also use a hanging ceiling fan and it really cuts down on how high you need to set your temp.The bonus is the safety feature in which the unit shuts off automatically when o2 is low in hut!!  :o don't know if all heaters do this but we experienced it first hand!(thought the thing was broke or out of gas till it finally registered,duh!low o2) ;D

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Vent it and use a heater.....

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:18 AM »
Ok.... so i will need the big buddy heater, and that thing hooks up to the big gas grill propane tanks?

But as long as i have the vents open, fan on to blowing heat back down and a carbon monoxide detector, I shouldbe able to leave the heater on low while i sleep at night? Turning it off though if it gets too hot.
KCCO

Offline Griff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2013, 02:28 AM »
What kind of fan is that?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:08 AM »
The big buddy heater has a small, battery operated fan in it. I've had my small buddy in the Clam running all day and with the vents open I wouldn't be worried at all.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:29 AM »
Hey FYI I see our sponser up top there mills fleet farm has the big buddy and the hose on sale in their ad.   :o
Gator Nation

Offline eyefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You can never make up for a day of missed fishing
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:02 PM »
You could lay a quilt on top of it for extra insulation.  Be sure not to cover the vents.  Be ware of CO2.   There are battery operated CO2 detectors available.  But still keep your vents open and free.

Offline iced

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:46 AM »
I have camped in mine down to -35f for four days. You will want some sort of floor, the biggest problem is that it is so warm that you end up with a few inches of water on top of the ice. I tryed the puzzle mats but did not like them since you need to be further of the ice at times when water is on top. I use two sheets of ply wood hinged in the center and set it on 2x4s this also prevents the floor from freezing to the ice witch is what happend with the puzzle mats. The big buddy is an in door heater so carbonmonoxide is not as bad but you should take percations any way. I also like to use a big gas lanter for light as oposed to battery power with the heater and the lamp on low i had to open the windows to keep cool off. You will also want a cot to sleep on that is a few feet high you will stay warmer at night that way. Even though the sides are inselated there is still heat loss by the walls I found that when sleeping it was bust to set the cot in the center as opposed to along a wall. 

This is how i see the confort in comparison to the temp

At 20-30 you cant keep cool enough with the heater on low
At 0-20 you will be comfortable with the heater on low but you will get frost in the corners at 0 so might as well turn it up
At -10 to-20 you will want to heat at high and the walls will frost up
At -30 you will want a sweater but you wont need a coat or gloves

the last time that i fished near the truck at -24 i did not wear my boots or hat and only wore gloves to set up and take down

I was also surprized how good it does in the wind. Althought set up is still a pain  and you have to have the corners secured along with each of the hubs once up you dont even notice a 20 mpr wind coming across the lake.

Offline mcsquinty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Reflectix cot liner. Put a layer under you while sleeping, holds in a LOT more heat. If you can line the walls next to your cot helps keep the chill out from the wall. I use mummy bag with every peice of headwear I have. Never run a heater while sleeping.

Offline chris44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:27 PM »
go with the big buddy for sure I wouldn't run any other heater while i was sleeping.  You will be fine with the big buddy and a c/o detector though. as stated make sure your vents are open for proper combustion air

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:59 AM »
I invited my dad,brother and nephew to accompany me on a winter hunting trip.The temps were below zero at night ,teens in the day.I have never used a heat source while winter camping and brought none on this trip.When night fell,the temps fell quickly in our shelter.Dad,brother and nephew,piled all the clothes they had on and crawled into their sleeping bags,I (falling back on my love for survival techniques,)stripped naked,slid into the bag and fell comfortably asleep.Needless to say my companions nearly disowned me,seems they spent the cold night painfully frozen.I said all that to say this,while sleeping in the cold,keep as much bare flesh against bare flesh,keep a fresh supply of fresh air in your shelter.If your lucky find the right companion to join you,that always works well :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.