Author Topic: Ice augers  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
Ice augers
« on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:36 PM »
I am interested in buying a new power auger, but don't exactly know what brand to get. I am looking for a auger that will last me a long time. Could some of you guys please tell me what your thoughts are on some of the models out there. Thank you
First time ever having a good day!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Nils Master, the motors they use have been around along long time and are well proven. Plus they are light, quiet and fast. I plan on giving mine to my grandkids.

Huskys are a good auger to but not avalible in the States.

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:13 AM »
I bought  one of the new strikemasters with a solo motor and Im not sure i would recommend buying one. It cuts real nice but its a real pain in the A!! to start. I havent been able to get mine started @ all without putting it in run and giving it a bunch of gas. The engine also seems to be cycling higher than it should for no apparant reason. Last time i took it out I started it drilled 20 holes and it ran fine. I started it up again later and it was running to high. The auger was turning without me giving it any gas. i turned it off and started again and it continued doing it. I then put it down for 20 min and then started it again and it was working fine!!
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 03:21 AM »
Buy an old Jiffy.. look on EBAY. They run forever.

The older the better
, , ,

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 04:04 AM »
Buy an old Jiffy.. look on EBAY. They run forever.

The older the better
key word "old" the new ones are junk

Offline WOODWISE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:24 AM »
Does anyone  use the new augers adapted to a cordless drill.I have a 1/2 dewalt and I know batt gonna run low figure take 3 fully charge batt and my portable 12v dewalt batt chargerLike Idea  of  less noise. So how many holes in say 10" of ice do u usually get per fully charged batt.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:36 AM »
I bought a strikemaster express with the double blades. Love it. cuts through the ice like it was butter.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:38 AM »
It really depends on what size hole your auger is. A buddy of mine had the auger adapter and didn't like it. He was using a DeWalt 18 volt. It didn't work good on a really cold day. works better on warm days
First time ever having a good day!

Offline packerh8er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:00 AM »
I use an old Strikemaster Magnum III and it runs like a champ.  It's pretty old so when I got it I just cleaned it out really well and have never had any problems with it.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:05 AM »
I will tell you to buy a gator if you can use an eight inch hole. I was tired of turning by hand and bought the gator last year. Not afraid of it breaking, only may have to change out the batteries after a couple of years? Not an issue! Well worth the holes I have drilled with it already.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:24 AM »
I just bought a Eskimo mako 8" had it out twice cuts good starts 1 pull 1.8 hp light very happy with it so far. Have not had it out below -10 degrees Celsius. I think the motor will handle a 10 " auger which i will purchase next year.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline JiGGywitit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:29 AM »
I also have an older 10" Jiffy, it is very heavy but it will outlast most of us.  I bought it from a nice retired guy for 120 bucks.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:08 AM »
I have a Jiffy that is close to 10 years old.  It still runs great.  The key is to get an auger and then maintain it.

I clean my auger, change the spark plug and sharpen / change the blade regularly.

Any hint of rust is dealt with immediately.   I also waxed the auger so that it sheds water.  This keeps it from freezing on the auger.

Jiffy and Strikemaster both make good augers, you may want to go with someone who has each kind and give 'em a test drive.

Wiener

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:16 AM »
This one should last you 30 years. Its not light by any means but its built like a tank and has a long track record of lasting a long time.

http://www.jiffyonice.com/Ice-Drill-Specials.html

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:22 AM »
Really hard to beat an older jiffy, except for the weight factor. I have one from the 50's with the single handle(can't part with it even though it just sits in the basement) and still runs great. I now use daily, a Strikemaster Lazer Mag 8" with the old Tecumseh motor. The thing cuts great but it has been a little tempermental starting lately, don't really know why......Just food for thought...

Offline pike44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:29 AM »
old jiffy's last for ever, you will have a few morning battles over the years, but they last.

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Really hard to beat an older jiffy, except for the weight factor. I have one from the 50's with the single handle(can't part with it even though it just sits in the basement) and still runs great.

Thats what I have.  Even with the new gas, it always starts and runs
, , ,

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2010, 03:11 PM »
I have a Jiffy that is close to 10 years old.  It still runs great.  The key is to get an auger and then maintain it.

I clean my auger, change the spark plug and sharpen / change the blade regularly.

Any hint of rust is dealt with immediately.   I also waxed the auger so that it sheds water.  This keeps it from freezing on the auger.
Jiffy and Strikemaster both make good augers, you may want to go with someone who has each kind and give 'em a test drive.

Wiener

What kind of wax did you use on it Wiener?  That sounds like a damn good idea to me...

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:20 AM »
go ice gator!!!!

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I agree with all the Icegator supporters. If you can get by with an 8" hole there isn't anything better especially if you own a permanent or wheel house no monkeying around with gas or breathing fumes. You really have to see it to believe it. Check out there site because it IS that good.
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline zmann58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:04 PM »
i have the strike master had it for 7yrs changed the plug once.runs like a bear.

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:13 PM »
I still haven't gotten one, had an old jiffy in the 70's. Nothin like a Harley on the ice..LOL  I have friends with strikemasters, jiffys and Nils. For the money they all work well. just like vehicles, I may get one that lasts 15 years with light maintenance and you may get one that is a piece of crap. Luck of the draw..

Offline hulv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:21 PM »
i love my gator 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:27 PM »
The electrics are the growing trend. Icegator is one of our sponsors and has been getting rave reviews. Check out their site at the top of this page. Best thing is you can use your existing augers with them so there is a lot more versatility along with a durable unit.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:36 PM »
For those that have not visited the Icegator site I encourage you to do so- you will be impressed. Also, if some of you have used the other name brand electrics I can tell you as can others who own or have used the Gator, that these other brands DON'T come close to how good the Gator is. The biggest advantage is no gas no oil and they perform every bit as good and in most cases BETTER than the gas units no lie. OK I'm off my soapbox now and thanks for reading. :tipup:
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:43 PM »
What kind of wax did you use on it Wiener?  That sounds like a d**n good idea to me...

I used a product called Nu Finish this year, otherwise I just used any car wax.

I thought I would try Nu Finish because it is supposed to be a once a year car polish.

After I drill my holes I lift the auger clear and hit the gas.  Sheds water off the auger, and I have not had my auger ice up at all.

I also used it to polish the poles in my Clam Voyager.

Wiener

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:22 PM »
nils and icegator are your best choices

Offline PIKEHUNTER69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Jiffys all the way!  keep em tuned up and they will treat you well for a long time :tipup:
NOTHING MAKES ME SMILE, LIKE A WHITETAILS GUT PILE!!!   WHITETAIL DOWN!! I REPEAT WHITETAIL DOWN!!!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Just got a brand new Strikemaster 8" Lazer Mag 2.5 HP Solo Engine for my birthday!!!! (Mom went halfsies) Gotta love being a student and getting big tax returns, hahaha. SOOOO impressed by this machine, it screams through the ice.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Jiffys all the way!  keep em tuned up and they will treat you well for a long time :tipup:

gotta agree i have stx pro 2 and its awesome lots of power and the stealth blades rip through the ice and will last along time.   its my first ice auger but i will be jiffy for life.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.