The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: TAKE YOUR TRASH OFF THE ICE  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Rayiii

• IceShanty Rookie
TAKE YOUR TRASH OFF THE ICE
« on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:16 PM »
 >:(    So i went out to Hathaway point boat access today and pulled a few perch nothing to get excited about though. was a great day as far as weather. some other guys were tip-up fishing after they left we noticed something left on the ice. we checked it out just to find they had left a broken bucket full of trash.  People like this give real sportsmen a bad name and this is the reason we are getting more posted land and less access to lakes and ponds. I took the trash with me and if i see them out again i will definately offer it back to them.

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: TAKE YOUR TRASH OFF THE ICE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:29 PM »
whats up with leaving fish on the ice?  is it really that hard to throw them back down the hole?  ive seen some nice perch, blue gills and pike left on the ice this year, i just can't believe people are still doing this...

Offline bluetickchick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:38 PM »
trash usually leaves trash. its sad that people cant respect the waters they fish.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline Chumdrunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:46 PM »
trash usually leaves trash.
X2 and some people are just lazy

Offline bluetickchick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:49 PM »
very true
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Good job taking it.  The vast majority of people are decent, but just a few knuckleheads can cast a bad light. 
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Vtredneck92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:44 PM »
I always pick up trash around the ice or shanty. I agree it's in sportsmen like and gives all of us respectful sportsmen a bad name
Work hard fish, harder

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:11 PM »
trash usually leaves trash. its sad that people cant respect the waters they fish.

Wow!  That is the truth.  Is it OK if I use that as a quote?  I love it.

Dick

Offline bluetickchick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Wow!  That is the truth.  Is it OK if I use that as a quote?  I love it.

Dick

have at it  ;D

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:35 AM »
>:(    So i went out to Hathaway point boat access today and pulled a few perch nothing to get excited about though. was a great day as far as weather. some other guys were tip-up fishing after they left we noticed something left on the ice. we checked it out just to find they had left a broken bucket full of trash.  People like this give real sportsmen a bad name and this is the reason we are getting more posted land and less access to lakes and ponds. I took the trash with me and if i see them out again i will definately offer it back to them.

Thank you for doing the right thing and not just pass it by !  Seems we need to police ourselves since there is no one else doing it.

As others have mentioned- this is one of the main reasons access is becoming more and more scarce and the only way to change this is to be vigilant against those that just dont give a hoot or are just plain ignorant!

Again.. thank you for picking up the trash.......at least I appreciate it !
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:39 AM »
The only goodthing about no good ice is the hoards of trash dumping  ****** bags are almost nonexsisent in our  area !
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline WildFisherWomanVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:33 AM »
I hate it when people do that. Also just as bad as trash is piles of fish carcasses left on the ice.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:10 AM »
whats up with leaving fish on the ice?  is it really that hard to throw them back down the hole?  ive seen some nice perch, blue gills and pike left on the ice this year, i just can't believe people are still doing this...

Nothing pisses me off more then seeing dead fish left on the ice for the birds to pick at  :%$#!: IF your not going to eat the fish then throw the fish back down the hole . I know the fish i put on the ice are the fish i will be eating that night.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Why would anyone leave good fish on the ice?  Sometimes I think it's the people who should go back down the hole. :'(

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:22 AM »
Why would anyone leave good fish on the ice?  Sometimes I think it's the people who should go back down the hole. :'(

if i knew the people who did this,. believe me i would throw them down the hole.  >:(
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:39 AM »
I have to admit that I have left small perch on the ice only after I've popped the eyes out for bait. The fish is dead and too small to harvest for a meal, so I figure the birds need to eat too. We're talking perch that are 4-5" or smaller.
Fish that are of size to harvest to eat, I keep them or they go back down the hole.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:39 PM »

X2.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:45 PM »
Thanks for being the better man & taking the trash with you. It is against the law to do this. To bad you didn't get there plate # to report them.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2013, 05:43 PM »
I alway bring a bag with me, to clean up, all of my trash and what ever is left from other people.  I tell my family, that they should use it and not leave anything on the ice, even old fishing line, etc.  I recycle, so its a no brainer!  I do this even in the spring, summer and fall monthes, while I fish in the rivers, streams, lakes, etc. ;D

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:37 PM »
I have to admit that I have left small perch on the ice only after I've popped the eyes out for bait. The fish is dead and too small to harvest for a meal, so I figure the birds need to eat too. We're talking perch that are 4-5" or smaller.
Fish that are of size to harvest to eat, I keep them or they go back down the hole.

so why not take the eyes of the bigger ones you are already keeping and throw the little ones back unharmed? they were all little ones at one time!

Offline Huntnfishvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:56 PM »
I see this all too often!  Mostly in the summer months at some of my favorite fishing spots people leave their trash all over the place.  Seeing worm cans pisses me off the worst cause those are easiest to reuse.  The worst part is most of these spots are public access and have trash cans that are often overfull!  I can't even hunt some of my spots for whitetails without find a trail of beer cans through the woods anymore.

Offline bluetickchick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:06 PM »
so why not take the eyes of the bigger ones you are already keeping and throw the little ones back unharmed? they were all little ones at one time!

ding ding ding! we have a winner! totally agree.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.